Request for interest to attend DHET meeting on my behalf

Front Page Looking For… Skills Development Facilitators Request for interest to attend DHET meeting on my behalf

This topic contains 29 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

This week I received an email from DHET about the letter I sent to Minister Pandor, requesting my availability for a meeting on either the 11th or 12th October 2018. On confirmation, the DHET are requesting a meeting in Pretoria, and I indicated that for health reasons I would not be able to travel.
    As the invitation to the meeting could include skills-universe members, many of whom have raised similar concerns, and also contributed to the letter I sent, I agreed to request members of skills-universe, who would be prepared to attend a meeting on my behalf with DHET.
    I was also asked to suggest an Agenda, which I have created and attached.

As a reminder of the original motivation
    This is the posting I made on the 1 May 2018:
    “After 18 years in skills development, this has been the most chaotic ATR WSP PIVOTAL report and plan submission season. In learning mode, I have developed a draft letter for submission to DHET and Minister Pandor containing what I believe are constructive suggestions to avoid a repeat of the experience next year.
    I would appreciate your suggestions for inclusion under the following headings:
    • submission date for ATR WSP PIVOTAL reports and plans
    • software systems used for ATR WSP PIVOTAL reports
    • ICT online training (e.g. webinars) on reporting systems
    • request for extension submission requirements
    • inter-seta transfers
    • B-BBEE scorecard correlation with SETA registration.”

For further information, I have also attached the original letter, and I have attached an Agenda with suggestions for discussion.

If you are interested in attending to take up these issues on our behalf with DHET, please respond indicating which of those 2 days you are available to attend and also respond with permission to disclose your name and email address to DHET, and they can then communicate with you directly on meeting time and venue.
    Thank you.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Ashwin Heerachund
    Participant

Hi Sylvia

I am located in Gauteng, and would be able to attend, if required. My fraustrations echo those of other members, as i report across multiple entities. The entire WSP/ATR reporting process could be structured very differently to ensure ease of use.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Ashwin,
      Thank you – I will add you to the list. You are the second name I have. Are you available on both days?
      sylvia

Share on Social Media

Thabo Mokhachane
    Participant

Good day Sylvia

I am also available to attend on your behalf.

Thanks

Share on Social Media

Thabo Mokhachane
    Participant

Good day Sylvia

I am also available to attend on your behalf. I am based in Atteridgeville, Pretoria.

Thanks

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Thabo,
      That is excellent – thank you. You are name number 3.
      Are you available on both days?
      sylvia

Share on Social Media

Tom Swart
    Participant

Dear Sylvia
    Unfortunately I am not available on those two days. Thank you for your invitation. Best regards – Tom Swart

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Thanks for response Tom, so far I have Buyi, Ashwin, and Thabo.
      sylvia

Share on Social Media

Menet Hamel
    Participant

Morning Sylvia,

I would appreciate the opportunity to attend. I am available on the 12th of October.

As an external SDF for many companies across multiple SETA’s I believe I would be able to speak to the inconsistency of the submission process as well as the varying requirements of each.

I have also reviewed the Discussion Document, which proposes replacing the template of the WSP/ATR with the modified instrument referred to as the Workplace Skills Survey (WSS) and may be able to provide feedback on that also.

Kind regards
    Menet Hamel

Branch Manager

Global Business Solutions

Share on Social Media
    • This reply was modified 11 months ago by  Menet Hamel.

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Menet,
      That is great – thanks. I will add you to the list – you are the fourth member. I will wait for tomorrow and then respond to DHET.
      sylvia

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Menet, Just another thought please will you see if you can add the Discussion document to this discussion, so that everyone can see it. I am not sure whether the system will give you the option to add documents – otherwise please mail it to me on sylvia@portalpublishing.net and I will add it.
    Thanks sylvia

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Sylvia, I can assist on the 11th if required. Unfortunately I will be training on the 12th.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Thanks Des, I have added you to the list with the date 11th.
      I have spoken to Sizwe today and explained that I have one person for the 11th and one person for the 12th as well as those for both days, so based on the availability of the DHET people, they can decide which day.

Share on Social Media

Valencia Ellse
    Participant

Hi Sylvia,
    This is such an important opportunity to air our view of our experience at grassroots level. I would loved to have participated but unfortunately am committed elsewhere. Thankyou to those who have responded and thankyou Sylvia for your tireless contribution to Skills Development

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Thank you Valencia, I appreciate your comment. I do firmly believe that we can make a difference via skills development. We will keep everyone posted.

Share on Social Media

Menet Hamel
    Participant

Hi
    Discussion document attached as referred to above in my reply.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

That’s great – thanks Menet – much appreciated.

Share on Social Media

Zanele Tshabalala
    Participant

Good day Sylvia

Thank you for the invitation
    Please note that I am available on both dates to attend the meeting

Kind regards,

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Zanele,
      That is great thanks. I have just sent off 6 names and I will ask them to please add you.
      sylvia

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Dear all,
    Thank you for your willingness to respresent us.

I will close this request off now.

These are the names I have sent to DHET with your email addresses, and the proposed agenda. So Sizwe should be contacting you directly.

I am sure that you will make a great representation.

Both 11th and 12th October 2018
    Ms Buyi Buthelezi
    Mr Ashwin Heerachund
    Mr Thabo Mokhachane
    Ms Suzanne Hattingh
    Ms Zanele Tshabalala

12th October 2018
    Ms Menet Hamel

11th October 2018
    Mr Des Squire

Thank you all – sylvia

Share on Social Media

Masilo Piet Mangena
    Participant

Morning Sylvia

I am also available to attend

Thanks

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Masilo,
      Thank you – I have already sent off the list, but I will send an email with your name and email address and see if they can add you.
      Sylvia

Share on Social Media

Maryna Ritter
    Participant

Thanx Sylvia, it’s crucial for ASDSA SDF’s going forward. I see some of our members there, they can provide feedback afterwards.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Maryna,
      Unfortunately, I have sent off all the names.
      I received an email tonight from DHET suggesting to me that the members should attend the roadshows.
      I responded that I will attend the CT roadshow, but the meeting arises from the letter I sent to Minister Pandor, and the answer I received from the Minister’s office was that DHET would contact me to obtain further details about my letter. (That was sent in May.)

In response to the email I also indicated the roadshows are about the landscape and the new NSDS – not the content of my letter. The letter deals with issues covered by the DHET Discussion document. Issues of timing of submission of grants, and format of submission. That is WSP and ATR.

Then I received an email back that was only a suggestion for members to attend. So the meeting will go ahead.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Please see attached – relevant documents sent to me by DHET

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Further relevant documents from DHET- attached

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:

Maryna Ritter
    Participant

Thanx Sylvia – let’s chat on Friday at the roadshow.

Share on Social Media

Desani Moodley
    Participant

I am willing to attend. I believe that there is huge gaps that can be ironed out in this meeting.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Sylvia – I notice you say you received all of the documents from the DHET. Who was circulating the invitations etc., originally. Is this again a break down in communication from the powers that be??? Perhaps I am wrong?

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

HI Des,
      Well honestly I was really “!”£££”£” off when I received the email last night (not from the person I was dealing with) indicating that the members should attend the roadshows.

The response I gave was – the correct spelling of my name is in my footer – that is not what the Minister said in her acknowledgement letter – the content of the letter relates more to the format and timing of the WSP/ATR system (the Discussion document V3 November) – and I’ve wasted my time doing what was agreed and requested.

Then I had a quick response – the meeting will take place – the roadshows just a suggestion. (That was not clear from the first email.)
      Following the first mail, I also at the same time received the calendar of the provincial roadshows and the attached documents.

So I thanked for the documents, indicated I would post them on skills-universe, and that I am intending to attend Friday – Insha allah – God willing.

I have no idead of the hierarchy of all the people on the email copy distribution list, or either of the people who corresponded with me. Everything was going along very well, until last night.

Quite frankly I am not interested in petty internal politics – if that is what is going on. I am interested in advancing skills development. If the meeting does not take place, I will communicate directly with the Minister.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media