Quality Criteria for Providers – will they change?

Front Page Looking For… Verifiers / Evaluators of ETD Providers Quality Criteria for Providers – will they change?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Lynel Farrell
    Keymaster

At first I was wondering about this topic, then I started reading various articles, and decided to just put down my thoughts and questions once and for all to the experts.  Providers accredited by SETAs have been guided by the Eight Core Criteria for Education and Training Providers documented by SAQA and have worked many hours to get it right (or should I say years).  Will the eight core criteria fall away now?  Will the QCTO continue with these quality indicators and criteria or will this all change? 

Share on Social Media
    Hannes Nel
    Participant

I doubt if they will change, Lynel. The eight main criteria are universally relevant, although one can add one or two others. Most importantly, the QCTO will rely heavily on their AQPs to recommend providers for accreditation, and the large majority of AQPs will be linked to SETAs, much like the old ETQAs. They actually are the old ETQAs!

Des Squire
    Participant

I tend to agree with Hannes here Lynel.

David Jooste
    Participant

At the last occupational certificate development I was involved with, we were told that the verification function in its entirety was falling away as it is one of the areas identified as problematic with the existing quality assurance model (if I understood it correctly) however with the QCTO delegating the very same function back to the SETA’s which they are supposingly  needing to take over I personally don’t see any change in the nearby future. The argument at the time was made that with a standardized exit assessment both the QCTO and SETA will be able to “pick up” through the exist assessment if the training provider had failed in transferring the learning, (identifying which one still remains to be seen once operational, I suppose) something similar to the UMLAZI set-up. My concern though would this be in the interest of the learner, especially after getting this far in a 2 or 3 year qualification?

It seems to me it is here were the QCTO simply do not understand the interchangeable interaction between Quality Assurance Body , provider, workplace and learner. You should watch the cat flight over what is deemed a Portfolio of Evidence under the QCTO for the exit assessment requirements. I would think someone at the QCTO should start getting involved in providing clarity on these issues and are thankful for you raising the issue.  

Hannes Nel
    Participant

I really hope the DHET and all the other role players will not be so short-sighted to think that quality can be gauged from just learner performance. The following, in my opinion, are the main areas in which a learning provider should meet the requirements for accreditation:
    TEN MAIN AREAS OF QUALITY ASSURANCE
    1. Institutional ethos and strategic planning.
    a. The vision of the institution.
    b. The mission of the institution.
    c. Aims and objectives.
    d. The institution’s value system.
    2. Teaching and learning.
    a. The design, development and use of curriculum.
    b. Learning programme design and development.
    c. Learning results and outcomes.
    d. Review systems.
    3. Assessment.
    4. Moderation.
    5. Resources.
    a. Financial resources.
    b. Human resources.
    c. Infrastructure.
    d. Equipment and consumables.
    i. Planning.
    ii. Allocation.
    iii. Quality management.
    e. Planning of resources.
    f. Maintenance of resources.
    6. Internal quality assurance.
    a. Use of benchmarking.
    b. Resource allocation for quality assurance.
    c. Evaluation.
    d. Student evaluation.
    7. Social environment.
    a. Community engagement.
    b. Environmental protection.
    c. Occupational Health and Safety (OHS).
    8. Management and administration.
    a. Record keeping.
    b. Security.
    c. Communication.
    d. Equal opportunities.
    9. External relations and internationalisation.
    a. Co-operation with SADEC countries.
    b. International benchmarking.
    10. Research.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media