QCTO Provincial Roadshows

Front Page Looking For… Training Service Providers QCTO Provincial Roadshows

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

“The QCTO will be hosting Provincial Roadshows between the 4th October – 6th December 2018. The targeted audience are Accredited Skills Development Providers (SDPs).

Striving towards the implementation of a National Quality Assurance System for Qualifications and Part Qualifications registered on the Occupational Qualifications Sub-Framework (OQSF) of the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).”

Please find attached the Invitation and the Roadshow calendar.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hannes Nel
    Participant

Two thoughts that struck me while reading this:
    1. Why do QCTO accredited learning institutions, like Mentornet, not receive the invitation directly from QCTO?
    2. Should Sylvia and Skills Universe not take over the functions and management of APPETD, because they should provide services like this, not so?

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Dear Hannes,
      Thank you I take that as a compliment. I am really not sure from where and how the bodies create their mailing lists.
      I gather information from a range of social networks: Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn, a great deal from ASDSA, and PMG, a range of departments and SETAs, who have added me to their list such as DEDAT and WC provincial government, and a range of news and other websites. I do sometimes receive info from APPETD.
      I would think that relevant professional bodies registered with SAQA should form the basis of appropriate mailing lists. I remember that the last time I checked professional bodies, Mentornet was registered as a professional body.

Share on Social Media

Lebohang Hanyane
    Participant

Good Day,

Hi I’m Lebo from a company named Speccon I just wanted to find out how do we register to attend the road show my e-mail address is Lebo@speccon.co.za .

thanks,
    Lebohang

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Lebo,
      See the two attachments. One is the Invitation. At the bottom it has an email and a telephone number to make contact with the QCTO. I would suggest make contact there.

Share on Social Media

Bernard Botha
    Participant

Sylvia
    I opened the attachment – there is only one page with dates and no contact email.

The official telephone number for QCTO is 012-003-1800, but you use that number at your own risk as the switchboard is no longer attended and the QCTO uses a system whereby any free extension is supposed to answer the incoming call. Nobody does and inevitably it goes to voice mail – where the mailbox is full.

Communicating with them is an exercise in futility. As to Hannes’ comment: SELA!

Bernard Botha

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Thanks for that Bernard – I have asked one of the attendees at tomorrow’s meeting with DHET to raise the issue – and also forward a copy to the QCTO CEO.
      sylvia

Share on Social Media

Bernard Botha
    Participant

Sylvia, I found an email address for the roadshows: Mokono.T@qcto.org.za

Bernard

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thx Bernard
    Let us see whether anything comes out of tomorrow’s meeting with DHET.
    It is totally unacceptable that a public service is not readily contactable by the public – especially since it is funded by our SDL payments.

Share on Social Media

Bernard Botha
    Participant

Sylvia,

Further to this, I would like to forward you an email. Can you please provide an email address.

Bernard

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Bernard – have sent to your email address.

Share on Social Media

Suzanne Hattingh
    Participant

I just phoned the QCTO switchboard number Bernard gave and was answered within 3 rings by a friendly voice! Maybe just my lucky day. She said the switchboard is fully functional.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Thank you Suzanne.
      I did forward the post to Vijayen Naidoo earlier. Maybe just co-incidental.

Share on Social Media

Bernard Botha
    Participant

Suzanne,

Thanks, maybe it is my bad day. So I wish to withdraw that comment unconditionally.

Sylvia,

I did not mean to get your email address in the public domain – you can reply to bothabe@telkomsa.net and I will forward the email.

Bernard

Share on Social Media

Bernard Botha
    Participant

The best kept secret for training providers?

I attended the QCTO roadshow in Bloemfontein yesterday. Must say I was a bit apprehensive but please spread the word as wide as possible. These roadshows are presented by professionals who know what they are doing!

A bit of ‘warning’ – please attend with an open mind as you will suffer from a massive information overload. The range covers most of the areas that concern training providers. Yes they also touched on 30/11, there is no way out; if you do not comply the future is bleak!

The presenters are presenting massive amounts of information and unless you are a skilled short-hand user you will not get all the relevant info. The slides are very busy and contain crucial information; the QCTO will mail the slides to all attendees – I saw youthful innovation at work yesterday. The young one are all using their smartphones to photograph the slides. So if you can, take the front row seats.

The programme makes provision for question and answer sessions but please utilise the informal chats with the presenters.

Suggest you contact Tshepo at mkhono.t@qcto.org.za

Bernard

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Bernard
      Thank you for your update on the roadshow – please confirm my understanding.
      These roadshows are targetted at SDPs – accredited training service providers.
      Therefore not of general relevance to SDFs skills development facilitators?

Share on Social Media

Bernard Botha
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. The original ‘intention’ was that only accredited SDP’s should attend but they have since realised that there is such a dearth of information that the only ‘information’ that is being circulated is misinformation. So while the main theme is focused on accredited SDP’s any person who has any interest in the subject should attend.

My understanding of the target audience is that training managers, heads of private colleges would gain most. Now I must admit that I can’t remember if it was mentioned in the presentation or during a private conversation but the days of your ‘I can teach any subject’ lecturer or the man off the street are past; the QCTO will conduct unannounced site visits to ensure that the Quality part of their mandate is ensured. The whole training scene is also about to change and innovation is the key word.

The range of subjects discussed was so vast that everybody could get clarity on his or her concerns. A common thread was the frustration with SETA accreditation. In this respect the QCTO is like a shining light at the end of the tunnel – they handle all requests for accreditation and if there is a Occupational Certificate that covers your area of interest you go the QCTO way – with completion within 90 days! If not, the QCTO will refer you to a Seta with no guaranteed completion time. As Ms. Kemp mentioned the advice applicants are being given by outsiders is to rather go for an OC than a historical qualification that is being phased out.

The phase-out date seems to be closer than most people think!

I will admit that I suffer from selective recall but the message I got at the roadshow is:

1. 2020 is just around the corner; by implication if you miss 30-11 you will have to start all over again. Post 2019 ALL training providers have to registered by the DHET and if you are not, you may not offer training based on any NQF material.
    2. Most historical qualifications will be (or have been) replaced by appropriate OC’s. You will the list on the QCTO website
    3. If you are thinking of starting a training institution or extending your scope – have a look at the list of registered Occupational Certificates and apply for one of those rather than a historical qualification which is reaching its sell by date
    4. The QCTO is looking at ‘skills courses’; some of the OC’s have part qualifications which one can use – one can also offer selected modules from an OC if you want to – however you must be accredited by the QCTO to offer that particular OC
    5. The QCTO is not prescriptive as to what you use for learning material and there is no such a thing as learning material that is QCTO accredited/recommended/certified. You can use whatever you like to achieve the desired outcomes;the EISA or external integrated summative assessment is exactly what it says and one has to be prepared for it.
    6. The QCTO accreditation process is streamlined and user-friendly – but do not fall into the trap of thinking it is merely a matter of putting finger to keyboard! Make sure that you read the manual before you start completing the application for accreditation. They do a desk-top evaluation and check each and every detail.
    7. Once you are accredited you will be provided with a learner management system

Bernard

Share on Social Media

Leigh Blochlinger
    Participant

Good morning all,
    Does anyone know where the Gauteng QCTO meeting is going to be held tomorrow? We have tried to call QCTO, no response, sent an email, no response, contacted our SETA QA, they have not been informed?
    Tomorrow is the day!!
    Thanks in advance!

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Thanks Malose
      To Leigh and Des – contact Tshepo Mokono.T@qcto.org.za – he is the communication person & in my experience responds quickly.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

i Will be attending the roadshow in JHB tomorrow anD will provide some feedback. Had to get my invitation by complaining to the DHET.

No one seems to know who should be communicating with who. CERTAINLY NOT THE SETA’S

Share on Social Media

malose mofomme
    Participant

I will be attending tomorrow, i did get an invitation from QCTO

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media