Provider Accreditation / Facilitator / Assessor registration

Front Page Looking For… Accreditation Processes Provider Accreditation / Facilitator / Assessor registration

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Amanda Pretorius 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Amanda Pretorius
    Participant

Good day
    I need some clarification on the correct/best process to follow for provider accreditation and Assessor registration.
    Do you register with the relevant SETA (as always) or do you go QCTO AND should a new provider first register with DHET?
    The answers Im getting from various sources are very conflicting. Can anyone please clarify this process?

Thank you
    Amanda

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Amanda,
    Thank you for posting these questions. I will be interested in the answers that you get.

My understanding on the QCTO first – the old legacy qualifications are being phased out. So it does not make sense for a new provider to spend time and money on old qualifications – because they will fall away. Even if it is in a few years time – it doesn’t make sense for a business to start with something that they know will fall away. That is not a sustainable business model.

So working with the QCTO on new qualifications, and being accredited by the QCTO makes business sense.

Existing providers I should think – will be in a position of gradually having more and more new QCTO qualifications and QCTO accreditation, and phasing out the legacy qualifications.

So for new providers working with QCTO accreditation, I would suggest getting started on both accreditation and registration with DHET makes sense. One will hold up the other at some stage but at least you have both started.

I will distribute for others – much more knowledgeable and experienced than I am – to comment.

Share on Social Media

Louis Nel
    Participant

Hi Amanda

Just some additional information .
    For both qualifications that are not yet registered with the QCTO and the new ones registered with the QCTO, you need to apply to the QCTO and not the SETA. A letter of intent for the qualifications still with the SETA is your first step.The QCTO will acknowledge your application and advise on the process with the relevant SETA ETQA.

Most of the qualification currently with the SETAs are not yet available through the QCTO and have about 4 years left in which learners can still be enrolled on these. The last date for completion for most of these is 2027.We this still extend our scope for now until the ones we are looking for is availability with the QCTO

All providers must register with DHET but you need not wait for DHET registration in order to start the accreditation process.

Hope this helps

Share on Social Media
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Louis Nel.

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Yes, there are so many different answers coming from all over Amanda, unfortunately some of the SETAs have also miscommunicated to providers. Please note, that you can only apply for registration to the DHET, once you have obtained accreditation from either the QCTO or the SETA (not the other way around). The DHET application requires proof of accreditation, as this is one of the requirements.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thanks Louis and Lynel,
    I would like to try and turn this into a clear table or process diagram. Please help me – is this correct?

Questions to ask – steps to follow:
    Check whether qualification is new (already under QCTO) or legacy (meaning part of the original format before QCTO qualifications)
    If legacy – is it being re-formulated by QCTO – or will it expire?
    If new – apply to QCTO for accreditation
    If legacy & being reformulated – business decision – either wait for new format or
    apply for accreditation at SETA knowing only a few years still to implement.
    If qualification not being reformulated & will expire: same business decision – ability to present for a few years.
    (My opinion: I suspect gradually companies/students will become aware that they need to ask – is this an old qualification that you are presenting?)
    Once you have your accreditation – apply to DHET for registration of the company.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Sylvia, the problem that providers face at the moment, is that when they look at the list of registered Occupational Qualifications on the QCTO website – they might not see what they need (remember that this list does not get updated on a daily, weekly or monthly basis – this is where the gap exist).
    SAQA Legacy Qualifications: have Unit standards (Fundamental, Core and Elective)
    SAQA Occupational Qualifications: have knowledge, practical and workplace components (not unit standards)

No accreditation application may go directly to any SETA – the provider must complete the QCTO Letter of Intent first – so that the QCTO can advise the provider whether they need to apply directly to the QCTO, or apply to the SETA. The provider will receive a letter, which will be used, if the provider needs to apply to the SETA (this will happen, if the Legacy Qualification (the one with unit standards) have not been aligned to an occupational qualification as yet.

Legacy Skills Programmes as we know it, is based on a couple of unit standards – they will also now change into occupational PART-qualifications, whereby they will have knowledge and practical components (not all PART qualifications, will require the workplace component, thank goodness).

The current registration extension on legacy qualifications, are merely put in place, in order to give the QCTO time to re-align these “legacy qualifications” into occupational qualifications. Should there be no learner enrolments on certain “legacy qualifications”(the ones with the unit standards) then these qualifications will fall away and not be aligned to occupational qualifications, unless industry requires this, and have requested it to be registered.

If I was asked to make a decision of whether to apply for accreditation by a SETA or the QCTO – my answer would be QCTO. The turnaround time is far less than any SETA accreditation application.

Providers should place their questions on this forum, so that we can give them guidance, seeing that there are so much miscommunication and rumours doing the rounds.

Share on Social Media

Kim Meyer
    Participant

I have received my Accreditation from the MICT SETA, what is the next step? I have been told by a friend that I now must register as a TVET. Is this correct? How do I do this? Why must I do this? 🙂

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
      Participant

Hi Kim, now that you are an accredited provider with MICT Seta, you need to apply for registration with the DHET. The DHET registration is compulsory for all accredited providers (whether accredited with a SETA or the QCTO). Seeing that you are a new accredited provider, you won’t have much data to format. In order to apply for registration with the DHET, you need to complete the application form FPX-01, and print all your supporting documents with your application (include the payment of R500.00 EFT proof in your application), courier or hand deliver to the DHET (Attention: DHET Private Colleges Department, 123 Francis Baard Street, Pretoria).

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Kim,
      They are two entirely different processes for very different reasons.
      The QCTO or SETA accreditation is ensuring that you/your organisation are able to deliver the qualification/part qualification that you are being accredited for, to the required standard.
      The DHET application is looking at your status as a company – checking do you meet legal requirements? Are you registered,SARS, etc.?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

In order to apply for registration with the DHET, you can obtain the application form (FPX-01) and the guidelines on the DHET’s website:

Go to: http://www.dhet.gov.za
    Click on Resources
    Click on Forms
    Scroll down to Forms 2008, then
    Click on the third pdf document: Application form for Registration of Private FET College (Form FPX-01)
    For guidance, click on the fourth pdf form.

NOTE: Ignore the words accreditation with Umalusi – this is where you place your SETA Accreditation letter (you do NOT have to apply for accreditation with Umalusi – the form is outdated, but the DHET have not uploaded the amended/corrected form as yet, and this form have been used since March 2017 when the registration became compulsory for providers to apply to the DHET.

Share on Social Media

Amanda Pretorius
    Participant

Hi All

Your posts have been most informative – thank you. I think a lot of providers and consultants need to understand these processes clearly.

Maybe a workshop on this would be good for clarification.

Regards
    Amanda

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
      Participant

Hi Amanda, Skills universe have a lot of information and documents under the download section. There is always someone that can assist. A workshop would be beneficial, whereby the process of accreditation to the QCTO and the registration with the DHET would be fantastic. I have been requested to run a workshop in another province, however …………………. I was instructed (believe it or not, this is like unheard of) to travel and run this at my own expense. Did it happen ………………….. no, it did not. There is a lot that can be clarified for sure, and you will have a number of providers jumping to sit in, get clarity and be able to ask away. I will put some thought into this, thank you.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thank you Lynel – that is incredibly useful – I still think we should try & get into some form of graphic.
    Louis has sent me some PPT slides – I will have a look over the weekend.

Share on Social Media

Amanda Pretorius
    Participant

Lynel, thank you for all the information you have shared, most helpful.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media