PROPOSAL FOR THE FAST-TRACKING OF THE DESIGN ODF OCCUPATIONAL CURRICULA

Front Page Looking For… Quality Council for Trades & Occupations (QCTO) PROPOSAL FOR THE FAST-TRACKING OF THE DESIGN ODF OCCUPATIONAL CURRICULA

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Hannes Nel
    Participant

The writing of occupational curricula is taking longer than initially anticipated, leading to discontent amongst stakeholders and rendering the process inefficient. The reason for the process being extremely time-consuming is, unfortunately, not because of thorough work but rather because of long periods of inactivity between meetings, different stakeholders joining the process at different times thereby often disrupting the smooth flow of the development process and some unnecessary bureaucratic procedures which adds no value to the process.

Mentornet developed a procedure that might help fast-track the writing of occupational curriculums in order to save time and costs so that the QCTO system can become operational within a reasonable period of time. We believe that one can develop a curriculum for a national qualification (certificate, diploma or first degree) in six months.

Inventing the wheel from scratch will only invite new criticism, render work already done worthless and create new obstacles that will lead to more delays. Some suggestions are made on how to restructure the curriculum format in such a manner that duplication is reduced, if not avoided entirely. The format (or framework) is more or less in line with the curriculum format in use by FET and HE quality assurance bodies and learning institutions, thereby facilitating the comparison of curriculums and the integration of the three NQF sub-frameworks.

A vulnerability of the model is that its successful execution is dependent on the full cooperation and support of all stakeholders. If anybody in the line of development or approval delays the process it will not work. Coincidentally, I submitted the proposal to the QCTO and ETDP SETA in May 2013 already and am still waiting for one of them to reply.

The proposed model is way too elaborate to load onto the Skills Universe platform, so that we only loaded it onto the Mentoring Network web site (http://www.intgrty.co.za). I would appreciate it if some of you could look at it and let us know what you think.

Dr Hannes Nel, MD Mentornet

Share on Social Media
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media

One thought on “PROPOSAL FOR THE FAST-TRACKING OF THE DESIGN ODF OCCUPATIONAL CURRICULA

• Pearl Jenny Seigel

Thanks Peter I’ll take a look at what has been written by the two Profs that you mention. I’ve also found Symbolic¬†Modelling¬†as explored by Penny Tomkins really informative when looking at metaphors and clean language.

Comments are closed.