Presentations not supplied to freelance Facilitators?

Front Page Looking For… Freelance Facilitators Presentations not supplied to freelance Facilitators?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Tando Qeqe 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Dominique Eglington
    Participant

Good evening fellow facilitators

I’d appreciate your input or opinions on the following. I’ve been facilitating since the beginning of 2017 and to date every session facilitated whether SAQA US or just plain workshops I’ve been expected to develop the presentation slides and even the exercises (free of charge too).

Is it just me, but shouldn’t the material supplied by the service provider to the facilitator include the presentation and exercises? (When I’ve chatted to SPs about this they indicate that their material developers say that it’s the Facilitator’s job?)

This generally causes a scramble and sleepless nights on my side because many times they only supply the material like 48 hours prior to class starting then I feel I can’t really say no as I feel for the learners who have already booked.

Share on Social Media

This depends on the SPs. Some will give you the Presentatins and others will expect you to make the Powerpoint slides and exercises. In my experience preparing slides allows you to research fully on the topic, it would be better though if adequate time is given to prepare.
    The material should have enough exercises to engage learners fully in group discussions to help learners complete their Formative, Summative and Practical Activities. Poor material provided sometimes does not link exercises to Specific Outcomes and or Assessments which it should really. The Learner Guide should have enough material however for the learner to do their activities and understand the topic . Over the years you should be able to keep enough of your own slides with exercises to help get the job done though.

Share on Social Media

William H. Nell
    Participant

Welcome to the training industry….

this is not uncommon at all. in my 15 years of facilitation there have only been one training provider that has supplied presentations. As previously stated by the previous author this is not a bad thing, as it allows you the freedom to run the session in your style and pace and not be dictated in regards to how to run the session.

As you progress in your career it will become easier as you build up your presentation packs. The more you research on the topics the more your knowledge grows on the subjects.

My slides currently only consists of speaking points and not long winded explanations. Sometimes for a 2 day session i will have only 2 slides of speaking points. Delegates also appreciate this as they dont have to sit and read the whole time and you can capture your audience and make them interested in the subject matter.

I have although moved online and im starting to work less and less with in-class facilitation. I now sell courses online with videos and material and have trippled my income without having to travel or be dependent on training providers to provide me with work. You should really investigate this. Online learning is fast becoming the go to method for training. Also this has given me international exposure and selling opportunities. check it out… http://www.vezuacademy.com

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Dominique Eglington
    Participant

Thank you for your input gents – I was under the impression that the SPs were supposed to supply the slides.

I don’t really mind doing the slides – as you’ve said it familiarizes you with the material – just disappointing that I usually receive the material 2 days before the time (and its usually incomplete)

William – I had actually seen an ad for your academy end of last year and put it on my to-do list to look into as I’m very interested in your platform and a training course I developed!

Share on Social Media

Nduduzo Makhanya
    Participant

Wonderful insights and I agree with both gentlemen. One definitely needs to investigate online training platforms.

Share on Social Media

William H. Nell
    Participant

upgraded platform

http://www.v2.vezuacademy.com

Share on Social Media

Tando Qeqe
    Participant

Hi William

Can I have your email address/ cell number,plz.

I’m very much interested in the on-line training.

TIA

Tando Qeqe

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media