POEs Costs

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Pj Van Rensburg 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Hi,
    What are POEs and how are costs for this determined? Can POEs be applicable for short courses, i.e., for 2-day course?

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Personally I believe POEs have been taken to the extreme by many providers as in many instances a simple written test is all that is required to establish understanding of acquired knowledge. The use of POEs for a single unit standard at some levels of the NQF is superflous and a waste of time and paper. 

I have recently been asked to moderate 21 POE”s from a batch of 40 and found 80% of the paperwork to be totally unnecessary, inapplicable and inappropriate.

Assessors, Moderators and providers seem to have lost their way where assessment is concerned and many insist on a POE for any assessment. This is unnecessary and in many instances unfair to the learner and becomes a barrier. 

A POE to answer your question is a Portfolio of evidence.  Portfolio is defined as an ongoing systematic collection of evidence that represent milestones in the learner’s journey towards excellence.  Portfolios make continuous assessment possible. Making use of a variety of items that serve as evidence the learner has achieved the required outcomes as set out in the unit standards or standards.  See the portfolio as a means of telling a story that will communicate something about the achievements of the learner to the assessor.

A POE can be appropriate for some short courses and this will be determined by the assessment requirements.

POE’s I believe should be used by training providers as a means of collecting evidence related to various unit standard based programmes completed by their learners. It is unnecessary to complete a POE for each and every unit standard completed. 

POE’s will normally be used in all cases of Recognition or Prior Learning (RPL)

The content of a POE is a matter for further discussion.

As for the cost – this varies from assessor to assessor. I charge a rate per credit based on levels 1 to 3 and a slightly different rate for levels 4 to 6 upwards. Theses rates vary from R15 per credit to R35 per credit. Travel to the venue (if required) is an additional cost.       

Share on Social Media

Pj Van Rensburg
    Participant

Des is that the standard rate for POE

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media

One thought on “POEs Costs

• timmalone

Hi Kholisile,

The BCG analysis is a valuable tool, however as with any theoretical methodology, not without its challenges. In my opinion, attempting to use the BCG analysis without input from colleagues, employees and customers is not a good idea. Diversity of opinion, while sometimes difficult to manage, is fundamental to successful innovation. I work with a methodology called Innovation Styles which essentially helps people how they think about challenges and through that understanding, reduces the fear of change, builds stronger relationships and helps boost creative problem solving. As far as being prescriptive is concerned, involving others who will be affected by any change will reduce the impact, because even if they disagree with your decision, they will at least understand where you are coming from. Try and get hold of a copy of “Thinking Styles” by Robert Sternberg (it’s available through Amazon).

Hope that helps!

Comments are closed.