Official Gov. Bodies not performing as required? – Let’s ask why

Front Page Looking For… Social Development, Community Building, NPOs & NGOs Official Gov. Bodies not performing as required? – Let’s ask why

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

We’ve all heard tales of woe from various fellow-training providers and others who’ve done business with the relevant Gov. body/ies.

Let’s agree that some of the criticism is warranted.

However, before we become too cynical, let’s try to remember a few facts here.

First, our beleaguered and oft-criticized Gov. inherited an education system designed to cater for a small minority of the population, with the majority having to make do with “bush-education” in so-called “bantu areas” – where the majority of the population was banished to as “citizens” of those areas, even if they were 5-generation, let’s say for example, Pretoria-born.

Enter, 1994; we suddenly had literally millions of previously disadvantaged kids flooding into our under-resourced (in terms of infrastructure & teachers) education institutions.

That legacy lives on to date.

(The same applies to other Gov. Institutions).

Add to this some degree of vacillating from Gov. on how to solve these problems, but hey, they are trying their best, so let’s not throw the whole box of apples away because one or two are rotten.

One can also argue that the policy of BBBEE is not 100% efficient – after all, like it or not, I know that I, for one, have greatly benefited from my privileged education in SA as a white (only 10 students in my final T4 class back in the 80s – how wonderful is that).

Having worked as a consultant engineer overseas for the last 20 years, I have seen first-hand the problems Europe’s had in trying to solve similar problems – they still do – as recently as 2010, UK’s Ministry of Further Education having published their “Skills for Sustainable Growth – Strategy Document” (I have a pdf copy should anyone be interested).

Germany cracked it, alright – I can give you 35 good reasons how, given the time and enough ink in my computer.

We need to understand that our country desperately needs “the old privileged generation” – the ones who will mentor the youth and transfer our knowledge over – this is absolutely essential.

Normally, experienced consultants don’t come back to education – they earn too much in the private sector, so this leaves our education in the hands of pure academics, when we absolutely need both schools of thought to create proper Curricula.

So we need to entice consultants into education – we also need to appeal to our own humanity in trying to solve these problems – it shouldn’t be only about how much we earn – perhaps we should have CSR for individuals? (ISR ?).

As for the SETAs, they have no idea whether they will be in business from year to year – naturally, this is going to create despondency.

As a Greek citizen, I can confirm that my country’s had 2 500 years to get it right – and look at us now.

We’re human, we make mistakes – the point is, it takes a concerted effort from all contributing stakeholders to make a country work.

Let’s work together.

Mixalis.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thank you Mixalis – yes South Africans are notoriously self-critical – it is very useful to have first hand knowledge of so-called “developed” nations that have the same or similar problems. 

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media