Offering Occupational Qualifications during Grades 10 / 11 / 12

Front Page Looking For… Skills Development Facilitators Offering Occupational Qualifications during Grades 10 / 11 / 12

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Ivor Blumenthal
    Participant

The SSETA has implemented a pilot project which is now gaining traction and I would like your opinion as SDF’s about.

The issue is the quality of matriculants. The problem is just how much time, energy and money it takes to convert the average matriculant into a contributor in the workplace. One of our solutions is to promote the enrollment in our qualifications during the last three years of school on an extra-mural basis. The proviso – THIS IS NOT A SPECIAL NEEDS PROGRAMME. We insist on an average of a “C” grade for selection and that it be maintained throughout and until matric is completed.

We believe that as a result, we will have a person matriculating, with an occupational qualification as well and also a full three-year POE under their belt.

We encourage schools to use these learners in the daily activities of the school and surrounding community. Three examples:

1. School Magazine – Marketing and Communication, Project Management, and Events Learners
    2. Debating – We have established a Moot Court League for these three grades and combine it with a paralegal qualification
    3. Extra- Mural and Sports Coaching Assistants – Project Management, Events Management, Team Leading

We encourage our member companies to link with these Learners from Grade 10 and use them after hours, weekends and holidays on actual work projects.

Basic Principles :

Learners can absorb more pressure in a directed fashion
    A Grade 10 has 36 months to start planning for the rest of their life
    A 120 credit Learnership can be comfortably spread between three years of training and experiential opportunities
    A significant amount of credits can be awarded for what is already done in the classroom
    Both Blue Collar (Hairdressing, Beauty, Landscaping as well as White Collar, Marketing, Project Management, Supervisory, Team Leading) qualifications are made available

WHAT DO YOU, AS SDF’S THINK OF THE PROGRAMME?

Share on Social Media

Dear Ivor,

You are right.

Let me confirm that this will be more fruitfull than people may think today.

A similar initiation has been taken in some french speaking countries from the early
    60’s and it has given excellent results.

Those learners who will embark on Project Management training – for example -, will get
    experience by the time they are being matriculated and can be taken in any company
    as they have spent already 3 full years working in a specific sector.
    This is really time and cost effective.
    Also it is in the employer’s advantage to get someone who is productive from the
    very first day of his/her employment.

Regards,

KZ Chanda

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi

I think that this is a great idea,so many youngsters cannot get jobs because of no prior experience or cannot afford to study.

My question is – how do private training providers join this initiative – will there be extra fees that the learners will have to pay? Who will fund this? etc!

Love to know more as this is a great opportunity.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi

I think that this is a great idea,so many youngsters cannot get jobs because of no prior experience or cannot afford to study.

My question is – how do private training providers join this initiative – will there be extra fees that the learners will have to pay? Who will fund this? etc!

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media