Occupational Qualifications Sub-framework Policy (OQSF) gazetted

Front Page Looking For… Quality Council for Trades & Occupations (QCTO) Occupational Qualifications Sub-framework Policy (OQSF) gazetted

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Is there a difference between Learner registration and Learner enrolment?
    That is Karen Deller’s question.

This topic now runs to 3 pages, please make sure to click the little numbers at bottom of the first page of posts – right hand side – to locate Karen’s post quickly, click on the 3. Otherwise just read your way through the whole discussion – very interesting, and with highly knowledgeable members commenting.

Weekend reading – a gazette of importance to all skills-universe members.

The Department of Higher Education & Training (DHET) has finally gazetted the revised Occupational Qualifications Sub-framework (OQSF). This replaces all other publications on the previous sub-framework.

Well worth reading.
    Some items that caught my attention in the Glossary (definitions):
    application – includes simulated work experience,
    cognate – fancy way of saying similar or related,
    credit matrix,
    entry requirements, and
    the difference between EISA & FISA.
    The definitions of Learning Programme and Lifelong Learning,
    Occupational qualifications and Occupational standards.
    Parity of Esteem and Recognition of Prior Learning
    Skills development provider (as opposed to training provider)
    Trade, and
    Workplace-based learning.

Section 5 on how occupational qualifications are made up, the 9 levels of occupational qualifications, then part-qualifications & skills programmes.

The minimum duration of a skills programme is 2 weeks.
    5.9.2 reference: “the skills programme document”. ???
    & must have a link to at least 2 quals/part quals.

What will happen to all the existing skills programmes that don’t meet those requirements?
    The OQSF provides for:
    5.13.3 Part-qualifications that represent sets of employable skills as well as a mechanism for the recognition and credentialing of skills within the informal economy.

13 Work experience learning.
    16 Skills development provider accreditation.

22 & 23 Dates. This policy came into effect on the date of publication – that is: 29th October 2021 – who knew?

Read all the sections of s23 on dates, end dates, last dates for enrollment, and completion, including
    23.5 All qualifications registered on the OQSF must be aligned by 30 June 2023.
    Pages 26 – 34 provide examples of qualifications of the different types.
    Lots of weekend reading.

Share on Social Media

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Please note when you download the Regulation for the OQSF, there is an error in the Government Gazette.
    I thought I had made a mistake, so I went to check.
    As far as I can see the reference to the NQF Act is incorrect.
    It is not Act 67 of 2006. It is Act 67 of 2008, and published in 2008.
    If there are any lawyers reading this, please confirm my understanding.

Siphiwe Tshabalala
    Participant

Great move to gazette the OQSF and the amendment to some titles, like skills development providers will be appropriate to use going forward. The other crucial step will be to put RPL in motion and let us practitioners set the agenda in order to make permanent footprints in redressing the past. We have RPL policy which is professional and talk to pertinent areas to be developed in order to be accredited in NQF
    Kind regards
    Siphiwe Tshabalala

Hi Siphiwe,
    Thanks for your comments – yes I fully agree with you. Can we please move forward with RPL. It should be a priority focus.

Lynel Farrell
    Keymaster

Thank you Sylvia – I missed this important gazette, completely missed the weekend (still studying and attending classes every saturday) and then I got Maryna tapping me on my shoulder (virtual tap) and sent it to me. I have not taken out my highlighters and sticky notes as yet, but noted:

1. Simulated Work Experience.
    2. EISA, FISA and whalaaaaaaa we have a Final Supervised Assessment? Nice one, never seen that before (let me go look for some information on this FSA, I should be able to get it from one of the policies/guidelines.
    3. It mentioned 9 qualification types, but I could only see 8. I will go and look for the missing one somewhere.

You are correct, it is National Qualifications Framework Act, 2008 (Act No. 67 of 2008) – I cannot find the No67 of 2006, but will go looking for this too somewhere.

Again, we are reminded about the 30 June 2023 (implementation and transitional arrangements) within a matter of 11 months – the previous gazette dated 24th December 2020 also indicated this date. Is this a RED FLAG – we don’t get the same information twice within 11 months gazetted – this is strange (or is this normal?) Is there something happening that we should be focused on, and we might have missed it?

So, after speed reading this gazette, my question would be: Why is there no mention of the NQF Amendment Act No.12 of 2019. I went a bit further and read through the DHET’s presentation (on the PMG), and the one presentation slide indicates that the Minister did not approve the NQF Amendment Act public comments …………….. so, what does this mean (I am a bit lost here, again, or perhaps it is the fact that we have been waiting so long, that it does not surprise us that there is no progress as yet).

I need to buy extra hours in the day to sit with this and pull it apart, one sentence at a time.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Lynel Farrell.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media