NSDS III and SDF’s

This topic contains 32 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Skills Universe 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Ivor Blumenthal
    Participant

I believe that SDF’s need to become more actively involved in the NSDS III debate than you currently are. There are opportunities aplenty for you to be able to lobby for items to be included in NSDS III which serve your interests. In my opinion issues such as the original payment for services in NSDS I which was removed in II should be reintroduced for consideration. Also I believe there should be more of a debate both on targets directed towards SDF beneficiation and directing more of a responsible role for SDF’s than currently is the case. From a SETA perspective I would like to see some type of reference formally to the fact that SDF’s need to be accountable to organisations such as the ASDFSA both for performance and behavior i.e. ethics.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Ivor

I strongly agree…In my experience I’ve seen SDF’s become very relaxed in there role as the link between employer and the Seta. I also believe that they need to be held accountable; after all they are the carriers of information form the employer that can be filtered into the NSDS III in terms of bridging the skills were necessary within a sector.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Ivor

I strongly agree…In my experience I’ve seen SDF’s become very relaxed in there role as the link between employer and the Seta. I also believe that they need to be held accountable; after all they are the carriers of information form the employer that can be filtered into the NSDS III in terms of bridging the skills were necessary within a sector.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Ivor

Share on Social Media

Well, most SDF’s are still under the impression that their function is all about completing a WSP & ATR and it ends there. It was quite evident in the attendees of the Durban CPD workshops between 2007-2008. I believe that people are not well informed and something needs to be done about this.

Share on Social Media

Mariska Freitag
    Participant

Good day all,

Sjoe I hope that you are really not talking for all of us as SDF’s if I could’ve add my cv onto this just to show you my job profile with my role as SDF for 9 companies, I think you’d differ. There are really some of us that still do our work! Thanx for the input and keep on, maybe the others will wake up!

Share on Social Media

Hang on a minute! 🙂 At what point did SDF’s suddenly become a force ‘on their own’ and more one that needed ‘reckoning’?
    I mean, let’s face it, the initial ‘creation’ of SDF functions was largely in response to the administrative requirements called for by SETAs – a relative position between a rock-and-a-hard-place. There are few companies that saw the justification of a new role/salary as a pleasant experience. And we can sugar-coat it as much as we like, but ANY position borne from such negativity is bound to become a future cause for concern – ‘the system’ created its own monster and as such, needs to share equal accountability for its current state and responsibility for its transformation. Of course, this is partly a pessimistic view.
    An optimistic view would be that SDF’s have contributed huge value – negative AND positive – in being a more accurate reflection of the state of skills business and the business of skills today, than the mountains [and forests] of paperwork and statistics filed since D-Day. My point is, any forward-thinking, positive aspect of the role and term of SDF can be attributed directly to the efforts and commitment of the actual person that assumes the functions: the SDF position needs to be informed by the state of the person and not vice versa – unless of course we prefer playing Frankenstein.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Mariska

You right in saying that it’s not all SDF’s, and some of us really go the distance by informing stakeholder of all the new developments within Seta’s or any new transformation within the sector. But employers these days are reluctant to engage with SDF’s because of that lack of participation. And this is coming from personal experience in working with SDF’s.

But thanks for the insight, at least there are dedicated SDF’s out there…….

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Mariska

You right in saying that it’s not all SDF’s, and some of us really go the distance by informing stakeholder of all the new developments within Seta’s or any new transformation within the sector. But employers these days are reluctant to engage with SDF’s because of that lack of participation. And this is coming from personal experience in working with SDF’s.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Mariska

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

Which is why the ASDFSA had NSDS III breakfast functions, which were not only poorly attended, but the DoL sent out a letter telling everyone to ignore us.

Share on Social Media

It is, i think, imperative that a distinction start being made re the role of the SDF which ranges form the mere capturing of trainig inoframtyion as was the case previously, to being involved in the strategic assessements of an organisation’s needs. Strategic thinkers as SDF’s should be accorded a higher status as would be the case with managers, accountants, etc. If the SDF is a recipient of directive to enact a certainb training intervention, they are mere ‘girl friday’s”, and not able to make training decisions which are targeted and strategic.

It implies that the SDF should no longer be a mere extractor of funds form the SETA’s, but an impotant component in the growth oif an organisation, a sector of industry and the nation as a whole. Also, form which forum could an independant SDF give input towards NSDS III?

Share on Social Media

Hi all
    Ivor I agree. SDF’s should not only become more involved in these debates but should be re-trained in what the role of an SDF can be. The role of an SDF in my opinion is certainly evolving from that of an administrator. It is for this very reason that SDF’s should join in on the CPD workshops/discussions of the Services seta/Eclipse. The ASDFSA is currently defining 3 possibly 4 different levels of an SDF within the occupational framework. And yes I understand that most companies still view their SDF’s as administrators who completes the WSP & ATR and ensures that they get back the 50% mandatory grant, this is however an unfortunate situation amongst companies who are not serious about training. I believe that emphasis on training in SA is going to become bigger than it is and it is up to the SDF to start redefining its profile in organisations through actively demonstrating what the SDF role is capable of doing in organisations. As a start to its own re-education the SDF should attend the CPD workshops held by the Services seta/Eclipse and secondly join the ASDFSA.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

I totaly agree with Ivor we as SDF we need to accountable to the organisation and ASDFSA.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

I totaly agree with Ivor we as SDF we need to accountable to the organisation and ASDFSA.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Hi Mariska I would appreciate some information on your job profile. I am a brand new SDF. So key performance areas of a SDF will assist me greatly. U may mail me at prembachan@gmail.com. Thank you in advance.

Mariska Freitag said:

Good day all,

Sjoe I hope that you are really not talking for all of us as SDF’s if I could’ve add my cv onto this just to show you my job profile with my role as SDF for 9 companies, I think you’d differ. There are really some of us that still do our work! Thanx for the input and keep on, maybe the others will wake up!

Share on Social Media

HI MARISKA

I AM A SDF WHO HAS NEVER BEEN ACTIVE SINCE QUALIFYING. THE REASON BEING THAT I NEVER HAD ANY EXPOSURE TO THE FIELD AS YET. I AM A ASSESSOR/MODERATOR REGISTERD WITH TETA AND CURRENTLY PRACTICING AS ASSESSOR/MODERATOR.YOUR ASSISSTNCE WILL BE APPRECIATED IN THIS REGARD.

HAVE A WONDERFULL DAY JOSHUA@ITR.CO.ZA

Share on Social Media

Hi Mariska,

I am in exactly the same position as you – I have never had exposure to the field. I currently also only assess. Any info would be wonderful – dksakko@telkomsa.net.
    Regards
    Karen

bhekumuzi joshua ntuli said:

HI MARISKA

I AM A SDF WHO HAS NEVER BEEN ACTIVE SINCE QUALIFYING. THE REASON BEING THAT I NEVER HAD ANY EXPOSURE TO THE FIELD AS YET. I AM A ASSESSOR/MODERATOR REGISTERD WITH TETA AND CURRENTLY PRACTICING AS ASSESSOR/MODERATOR.YOUR ASSISSTNCE WILL BE APPRECIATED IN THIS REGARD.

HAVE A WONDERFULL DAY JOSHUA@ITR.CO.ZA

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

From my side, I can confidently say that I am fortunate that I am functioning at a strategic level as an SDF in my organisation. This may be because the organisation I am working for takes skills development as one of its fundamentals. Also, the responsibility lies to an individuals to make yourselves known not only in completing WSPATR as Peformance Consultants. I should also SAY thank you to Service SETA for the CPD Programmes since 2008-2009, facilitated by Jill Collenan and Chris Bekker and the tools given to us. I am hoping all SDF’s that have attended the CPD Programmes are making use of the information and making a difference out-there.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

From my side, I can confidently say that I am fortunate that I am functioning at a strategic level as an SDF in my organisation. This may be because the organisation I am working for takes skills development as one of its fundamentals. Also, the responsibility lies to an individuals to make yourselves known not only in completing WSPATR as Peformance Consultants. I should also SAY thank you to Service SETA for the CPD Programmes since 2008-2009, facilitated by Jill Collenan and Chris Bekker and the tools given to us. I am hoping all SDF’s that have attended the CPD Programmes are making use of the information and making a difference out-there.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Zalia Frosler
    Participant

I agree with Natasha! I was appointed as a Training Manager and one of my functions was the SDF role for the organisation in more than one company but was prevented from executing the role as stipulated in the act as I was not:
    A) in a a senior management position to get access to the CEO and board members to unfluence the transformation that was required.
    b) I reported to the HR manager who reported to the CEO and board, (fill in the blanks ….) and the outcome – no transformation only a thumbsucked WPSP as you cannot get buy in to the process!!!

It is easy for Ivan to throw stones from his ivory tower and maybe he should do an audit in the services sector and see how effective the processesses are in his sector w.r.t. to the SDF’s and their impact on their businesses. Once again theory and practise are poles apart!

Until the working world recognises the value of SDF’s and until SDF’s also prove their worth by staying abreast with legislation and upskilling themselves it will remain an administrative and paper function, and a serious cause of frustration for SDF’s who takes their responsibilities very serious.

REgards
    Zalia

Natasha van Rooyen said:

Hang on a minute! 🙂 At what point did SDF’s suddenly become a force ‘on their own’ and more one that needed ‘reckoning’?
    I mean, let’s face it, the initial ‘creation’ of SDF functions was largely in response to the administrative requirements called for by SETAs – a relative position between a rock-and-a-hard-place. There are few companies that saw the justification of a new role/salary as a pleasant experience. And we can sugar-coat it as much as we like, but ANY position borne from such negativity is bound to become a future cause for concern – ‘the system’ created its own monster and as such, needs to share equal accountability for its current state and responsibility for its transformation. Of course, this is partly a pessimistic view.
    An optimistic view would be that SDF’s have contributed huge value – negative AND positive – in being a more accurate reflection of the state of skills business and the business of skills today, than the mountains [and forests] of paperwork and statistics filed since D-Day. My point is, any forward-thinking, positive aspect of the role and term of SDF can be attributed directly to the efforts and commitment of the actual person that assumes the functions: the SDF position needs to be informed by the state of the person and not vice versa – unless of course we prefer playing Frankenstein.
    Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Natasha van Rooyen is so correct in saying this. You have a good way of putting it accross. We have seen utter imbecils being SDFs with no work experience or a gram of initiative.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Natasha van Rooyen is so correct in saying this. You have a good way of putting it accross. We have seen utter imbecils being SDFs with no work experience or a gram of initiative.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Gail,
    I agree with you on the need for registration & CPD but the correct home is with the SA Board of People Practices who are a professional body, providing professional registration at various levels – with a structured & formalised CPD process, allowing progression through the levels, & with registered Mentors to provide support. Having everyone register in once place would solve all the problems being discussed. Have a look at their website – http://www.sabpp.co.za – you will see that ETDP professionals are already there.

Gail Wendzicha said:

I agree, but also believe that there should be stricter measures in place for all consultants in the ETD field, not only SDFs. As an ETD consultant and SDF, more than 50% of my time with clients is spent trying to “undo” the poor advice they’ve received from other “consultants”. This is not limited to the implementation of skills development activities in the workplace, but also on matters such as quality standards in learning programme approval, the development of a “working” QMS and best practice in workplace learning implementation – all of which have strong links to what the SDF role should be.

The ASDFSA is a great organisation, but their focus is limited to the SDF role. The Services SETA has always been one of the leaders when it comes to the improvement of quality standards – maybe the next step should be the registration of all ETD consultants, similar to the requirements for assessor and moderator registration, together with a structured CPD framework?

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Eddy Grant

This is Wilford Mcebisi Mazwi, I use to work with you as an Administrator. I fully agree with you when you say that SDF they lack participation but it is SETA’S prerogative to encourage partication of SDF through their stakeholders in order to meet the target of the indicators.

<</body>

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Eddy Grant

This is Wilford Mcebisi Mazwi, I use to work with you as an Administrator. I fully agree with you when you say that SDF they lack participation but it is SETA’S prerogative to encourage partication of SDF through their stakeholders in order to meet the target of the indicators.

<</body>

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Eddy Grant

<</body>

Share on Social Media

The recent SDF CPD workshop facilitated jointly by the SSETA and Eclipse pointed the way to SDFs who really believe in skills development (rather than simply making a quick buck). The most recent workshop (18 August 2009) in Cape Town presented an opportunity to provide input into NSDS III (despite it not having been officially released). The ASDFSA also hosted a series of workshops around the country for this purpose. ASDFSA in the Western Cape host monthly coffee meetings allowing SDFs to share information and discuss issues of mutual concern.

Share on Social Media

Thanks Marina. I am looking forward to the Durban event on 26 August.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

I need a job description for a Skills Development Facilitator. Is there anyone that can help?

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

I need a job description for a Skills Development Facilitator. Is there anyone that can help?

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Francois I have a role profile from the Foodbev Seta. I don’t seem to be able to add it here so I’ll add it as a discussion in the SDF group so that other can comment on it.

Francois de Jager said:

Share on Social Media

SDF’s can be the driving force behind human capital development and thus business growth.
    Business still do not understand that business itself is about people and how u develop the team to expand your operation. To me the problem lies with business and the lack of commitment. So perhaps we need harder drive to get business to get SDF action going again…not just mechanically looking at WSP completion but more integrated with business development.

Share on Social Media

Mariska Freitag
    Participant

Hi Francois,

You can look on the Mqa’s website mqa.org.za under the Skills Development link – functions are outlined there as well.

Francois de Jager said:

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media