NQF level 5 credit discrepancy – occupational qualifications

Front Page Looking For… Quality Council for Trades & Occupations (QCTO) NQF level 5 credit discrepancy – occupational qualifications

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

Hi Lynel,

Thank you so much for confirming the QCTO status quo for Assessors and Moderators for me. You’ve saved me a tremendous amount of research time!

My advise to my clients is to always employ / use the services of Facilitators who have subject matter knowledge and experience and preferably a passion for the topic. They make the best Facilitators by far!
    One can be taught the tools and methodologies in outcomes-based facilitation in a few days, but one takes years and often a lifetime to develop the knowledge and skills in an occupation.

We have so many unemployed seniors in our country who would love nothing more than to be active and give back by sharing their knowledge in SA.

I say that we should give our senior citizens the opportunity to make invaluable contributions to our working force and youth by sharing their knowledge through Facilitation and by assessing learner competence in Assessment and Moderation. Who better to upskill our current and future generations than our forefathers!

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

If one considers that 150 hours is equivalent to 1500 notional hours for a year.
    The average number of working days in a year is 260 (considering public holidays), the average number of working hours in a day is 8, which equates to 2080 working hours per annum. If one takes off the equivalent of 3 weeks holiday per annum (or 120 hours) then spend 1960 hours working.
    A full time learner or learner on a learnership or doing a trade should easily be able to achieve 196 credits in a year.
    The Occupational Certificate: Mechatronics Technician – NQF Level 5 with 923 Credits is achievable within 5 years (should a learner wish to do the entire qualification from NQF level 2 to 5). Many studying this field would most likely already have the fundamentals at an NQF level 3 or 4 even, and would not need to repeat them)

Percy Manuel
    Participant

Dear Ladies
    You have made the month of August fantastic.
    The information sharing was great and very supportive to Skills Development Facilitators who must assist Employers with skills development and retaining those skills in our changing working environment.
    Thank you for making the equiries and obtaining the answers.

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

Hi All,

Awesome discussion!

It is critical to not that the NQF Level assigned to a qualification or part qualification has absolutely nothin to do with the credit value of a qualification.
    The NQF level assigned refers only to the degree of complexity of the learning itself, not the length of time it will take for a learner to be deemed competent in the learning.

An Occupational Qualification of 455 credits will state NQF Level that a learner will reach on completion the qualification.

Our very own Mr. Des Squire posted a wonderful explanation of the NQF Levels and how these relate to the Occupational Qualifications Framework
    on the Skills Portal website in March 2009.

Des – I hope you don’t mind, I am posting a link to your article for others to gain insight to our somewhat complicated education system.

https://www.skillsportal.co.za/content/what-occupational-qualifications-framework

Warmest regards

Renee’

Alcon Dube APR
    Participant

This skipped me. Wonderful team keep up the good work colleagues and many thanks to our dear Sylvia for the platform.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media