Non payment

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Hi all. 

Can anyone assist please.  Im trying to find contact details of an ombudsman or a particular body where training providers can be reported for non payment. The particular provider seems to totally disregard the basic respect of paying for services rendered. I thought I was the only one until I was approached this morning by a fellow assessor for assistance with getting payment.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi David,

I am not aware of an Ombudsman.  

However, if they are an accredited occupational training service provider – skills provider, then the body that ultimately is responsible for the accreditation is the QCTO.  Although the SETA QAP (old ETQA) might have actually done the accreditation they do not have authority – it is delegated authority from the QCTO.

So I would suggest that you complain to the QCTO that they have accredited a provider that is not behaving professionally.

If they don’t help you, then I would go to SAQA who have oversight over the Quality Councils including QCTO.

Just at the DHET Minister is keen to close down providers behaving fraudulently, I believe that they would also be interested in this bad behaviour because ultimately it impacts on the quality of what the learners will receive. 

Share on Social Media

Delphine Ferreira
    Participant

I think there a substantial number of us in this position, David.  Thanks to Sylvia for the advice.  I decided last year that this was the route I would follow in the new year with my “client”.  Just haven’t got round to it yet.  I will, however, send the provider an e mail warning of my intentions – just to be professional.

Share on Social Media

Thanx for the info Sylvia. Much appreciated.

Share on Social Media

Martin I have no prblem in naming and shaming. I agree that we have to unite because we didn’t sell a product that can be retrieved, tbe service has been rendered already

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

A further thought – have you found out whether the non-paying providers are members of APPETD? But whether they are or not I would suggest that you forwarded their names and the details of your complaint to the APPETD CEO – Cynthia Reynders.  She is a member on the NSA and so she might want to bring it to their attention. 

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

A further further thought – I would urge some caution on the name and shame approach.  The last thing that you need is to find yourself with a large lawyer’s bill – so I would be inclined to go for the formal step by step approach.  If one day you are in court, you have your evidence trail that you did everything correctly.

I would go QCTO then SAQA then either the DHET or the NSA and then DHET. Then all the people who should know about the company will know.

Of course if the owner is a member of skills-universe then please tell us confidentially and we will take it up with them.

Share on Social Media

Katherine Krotz
    Participant

Share on Social Media

Katherine Krotz
    Participant

I am current sitting with the same problem , been working with a provider that you have to “fight” with for months before they release payment, I am still awaiting payment for almost 4 months now, no amount of emails. phone calls, etc helps to get your money out of them. They expect urgent and fast turn around when allocating work to you, THEN the battle begins to get payment for services rendered. They change the payment agreement rules all the time to stall payment.  This is unprofessional, unethical and against all the good business principals. It is like they expect you to work for free.  I would like to report this PROVIDER to the correct SETA bodies to make them aware of this unethical behaviour. Enough is enough, I feel abused and disrespected to say the least.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thanks Sylvia, I am sure there are many members who are sitting with this problem.  It is a complete disgrace that you work to earn a living, do you utmost best to provide a service and then be treated in such a way.  I have the same issue.  How do you grow and build on what you have, if you do not get paid?  Sometimes I wonder how all the independent consultants, Assessors, Moderators, Facilitators etc are making it these days? 

I also agree that by mentioning this to the APPETD will help, they do care!

Share on Social Media

Alexander Robertson
    Participant

If I may add, if you are a member of Southern Africa Professional Association, they have a way of assisting in this non paying for services rendered.  Their website is http://www.saptaonline.org.  have a look at their website and see the benefits of joining. 

Share on Social Media

Jaison Sibanda
    Participant

I have always thought I am the only one with such a problem. There should beba  board that deals with such cases like ETD labour board coz some providers are getting away with it.

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

I agree with Sylvia. Training providers have to prove they are financially viable in order to be accredited / re-accredited. Although the QCTO / QAP will not get involved in issues of contract between providers and consultants,by reporting the provider to them it will flag that there is something dire going on with the provider and this usually triggers a monitoring visit, the outcome of which could be a retraction of their accreditation status.

If the complainant is an assessor / moderator then the situation is even more serious. Moderators are essentially the “gate keepers” of the quality of learning of a provider, and although they are contracted and paid by the provider, they ‘belong’ in some way to the QAP. QAP’s usually take complaints from moderators very seriously. 

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media

One thought on “Non payment

Comments are closed.