New Regulations for learnerships and other workplace-based programmes

Front Page Looking For… Skills Development Facilitators New Regulations for learnerships and other workplace-based programmes

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andrew Friedemann Andrew Friedemann 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Suzanne Hattingh
    Suzanne Hattingh
    Participant

DHET published Draft Regulations on Workplace-Based Learning Programmes to replace the 2007 Learnership Regulations. The changes relate to learnerships, apprenticeships, internships and other types of workplace-based programmes. The Regulations have serious implications for employers, training providers and learners who need work experience to complete their qualifications. The changes will discourage employers from taking such learners in. A summary of key points with comments on their implications, is available under the Downloads in Skills-Universe. The Regulations are available on http://www.gov.za/documents/skills-development-act-regulations-workplace-based-learning-programmes-agreement-comments.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Kate Sani
    Kate Sani
    Participant

Dear Suzanne. Thank you for sharing. Your summary is great. Just an observation: my reading of the draft regulations is that they will apply to all learning programme ‘types’ as we currently know them – “skills programmes’ / part qualifications / full qualifications and of course, learnerships / artisanships, etc. and will apply to both SETA funded and Industry funded learners. If so, this will have a significant impact on a provider’s administration and processes as they will be required, along with the workplace, to sign and submit to SETAs learner agreements/contracts for all their learners and not just for learnerships as per current practice. It would be good to hear your take on this.

Share on Social Media
    Profile photo of Suzanne Hattingh
    Suzanne Hattingh
    Participant

Yes, Kate. This will significantly increase the administrative burden on employers and training providers, which is why we can anticipate greater resistance from employers to get involved in any type of workplace-based programmes.

Share on Social Media
    Profile photo of Des Squire
    Des Squire
    Participant

Thank you for the fantastic summary Suzanne. All quite worrying. Chapter 3 is going to cause problems for employers. Not sure what the minister is thinking of – par for the course. If on the job assessments (2.4) have been removed who will conduct the practical? (perhaps I am misreading) Workplace based skills programmes will cause a great deal of problems for employers. In my opinion and not having studied the document in full detail I think this will be to the detriment of those intended to benefit. End of learnerships perhaps???

Share on Social Media
    Profile photo of Stuurman Aphane
    Stuurman Aphane
    Participant

Thank you Suzanne for the summary. Will peruse the draft and it is quite interesting as to how this link with the draft learning programme regulations (2012) that as far as I can recall werestill in draft format.

Share on Social Media
    Profile photo of Wilma Guest-Mouton
    Wilma Guest-Mouton
    Participant

Hi Suzanne
    Thank you for the summary. We have experience in both skills programmes and learnerships and the administration that goes with it, but I suppose we are so use to it now that it comes naturally.

What worries me is really the way different SETAS implement the rules, and regulations. I am also concerned about Chapter 3.

I am once again curious about the letter of intent and the use thereof. Somehow I am missing it, yet some SETAs refuse that learnership agreements submitted to the SETA of the levy payer is sufficient.

We are indeed in challenging but interesting times.

Wilma

Share on Social Media
    Profile photo of Andrew Friedemann
    Andrew Friedemann
    Participant

Is it just me or does it seem like someone is purposely trying to destroy training in SA?

We work closely with another major gov department who has decided to look at pulling out of National Qualifications completely and possibly go back to using industry associations own training programmes for ‘Required qualifications’ as the new DHET rules are to destructive and burdensome.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media