New Minister for Higher Education & Training

Front Page Looking For… Basic and Higher Education New Minister for Higher Education & Training

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Minister Naledi Pandor is to take over as Minister of Higher Education and Training. The Minister was very involved in the early days of setting up the post apartheid education systems and worked with the then Minister Membathisi Mdladlana.
    Very powerful appointment.

Share on Social Media

Janelle Gravett
    Participant

Morning Sylvia – yes agree with your comment a very powerful appointment. My thought is how will this affect the current state of affairs in HET going forward. Is Minister Pandor likely to continue as is for the time being or will there be a radical change? Having come from Nzimande to Mkhize I am concerned! What are your thoughts?

Share on Social Media

George Madisha
    Participant

The higher education in general including the skills development strategy had a remarkable vision during the Mdladlana era and whilst i support Minister Pandor ‘s appointment , i feel yes we need her experience and expertise however we need to have succession planing at the back of our minds. My immediate question is what is the ruling party doing in terms of developing the youth with the aim of taking over as cabinet ministers, we cry about unemployment yet we still keep the old ministers in the Cabinet who had long passed retirement age with no plans to cater for continuity. I wish the minister responsible for planning , monitoring and evaluation Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma can start thinking along those lines. Other political parties have introduced the youth in Parliament yet the ruling party still keep some ministers who have been there since 1994

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

I do hope this is the last change for this year. It is difficult to build relationships and engage with important individuals, but every single change have an impact. And so we go with the newly appointed Minister, and trust that our concerns will be heard.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thanks for your responses – yes I do have a concern that we seem to be floundering, with so many changes. George is right – we started with such a strong vision under Mdladlana – the skills revolution. Then with the split in 2009, we had a good start with Ndimande with the White Paper on Post-school Education and Training – that concept is good.

But where are we now? The “consultation” on the revised NSDS and the SETA landscape is not ideal. There isn’t a consensus and if we are going to spend the next decade in court cases, and appeals then we lose our impetus.

Skills development is not something that just happens – making laws and regulations and policy does not automatically translate into implementation. The potential of the SDFs – internal and external – and the role of the professional body ASDSA and the SDFs in advocacy and supporting implementation appears to be overlooked.

Policy-makers sitting in offices, who have never implemented a single intervention have no idea what the constraints are. Recently, I explained the constraints of manufacturing shifts patterns to a group of senior people involved in policy, who had no idea how shift patterns work.

I have absolute faith in Minister Pandor – so I do hope that she puts everything on hold and takes stock before moving forward.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media