National Skills Development Strategy III (NSDS III) extended to March 2020

Front Page Looking For… SETAs, levies & scarce skills, TVET colleges, PSET National Skills Development Strategy III (NSDS III) extended to March 2020

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Kate Sani
      Participant

Minister Nzimande has extended the NSDS III until the 31 March 2020. The gazette is attached.

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Thanks Kate!  Another quick decision by Blade (first the extension of the Setas and now the NSDS III).  Interesting!

Share on Social Media

Hi All

The mandate is too long.

Regards

Bosole Chidi

Share on Social Media
      Anonymous

Hi Lynel hope you are well… based on the SETAs registration being extended to 2020 do you think SAQA will extend the lifespan of all the qualifications? Their end dates are 2018 and I was wondering how the QCTO was going to handle this.

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Chidi, agree.  Could they summarise it for us?

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Jeanine, good question!  This is another issue we could take up in the QCTO sessions, this is an important issue and needs to be addressed.  The QCTO is already taking strain with all the differences in the Setas, and to standardise them, seems to be a huge challenge.  My thoughts on this?  The Setas are not worth making permanent structures as yet and need to step it up.  Why make them permanent if they are not prepared to get the administration in order (not to mention get their house in order).  The QCTO and DHET will face serious backlogs until the Setas step it up, adhere to the changes, get backlogs sorted and show that poor services delivery and performance can be turned around.  This will take years, unless there is another way (a miracle perhaps).  It is going to be an interesting year 2017, we need to be informed, share as much information as possible and keep track.  Unfortunately I don’t have the answers here, I would also want to know if the legacy qualifications will be extended to 2020.  Let’s keep an eye on that for sure!

Share on Social Media
      Des Squire
      Participant

Attached is a summary I put together in 2011 – this might assist

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Des!  This is fantastic, thank you.  the following points always interest me, and now it is extended – hmmmmm, makes one think.  Maybe, just maybe, Providers are being seen as important!  What is your thoughts?

Partnerships that include private providers are seen as critical to effective skills development.  The strategy states that “We need to find innovative ways of working together to improve the efficiency, quality and, crucially, the impact of education, skills development and training”.

Central to the strategy are partnerships between employers, public education institutions, private training providers and SETAs, “to ensure that cross-sectoral and inter-sectoral needs are addressed”. 

SETAs are being expected to strengthen employer leadership in their governance structures to ensure that they (SETAs) are able “to articulate the collective skills needs…to the highest standard”.  There will be improved planning and financial management and an increased focus on training that leads to full qualifications.  In addition, there will be tighter management of the per cost of training to ensure real return on investment.  SETAs are also being expected to begin sharing services and resources.

Share on Social Media
      Janelle Gravett
      Participant

Hi – I would like to anticipate that the legacy qualifications will be extended by another 2 years till 2020 – but this will be SAQA’s decision.  It would certainly alleviate many concerns re curriculum development at SETAs that have not yet managed to get this going.

Share on Social Media
      Des Squire
      Participant

There is a place for private providers in the mind of the powers that be which is one of being mentors for those at TVET colleges – the need to form alliances and partnerships. Other than that providers go unrecognized despite the effort of many to ensure otherwise.

SETA’s continue to function – some are excellent others are a waste of time and money and should be closed down. NSDS1, 2,and 3 have failed miserably in my opinion and there has been little or no change and very little benefit for those in need.

I just hope, but very much doubt that the QCTO will make much difference. 15 years? What can we boast about in terms of NSDS 1, 2, or 3?  

I do not believe I am being negative – this is just fact in my humble opinion.    

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Agree!

Share on Social Media

Thanks so much Des – your input is always informative and valued. Best wishes for 2017!

Share on Social Media
      Des Squire
      Participant

Thank you Dorothy for your kind words and wishes for 2017. May you be blessed in every way in the year ahead.

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Janelle, I wonder if Mr Samuels will be able to give us some input or clarification here.  It would be interesting to see what happens to the legacy qualifications, now that the Seta licenses are extended.  It would certainly give the QCTO additional time to evaluate, verify, authorise and sign off.  Maybe this was a good call from the Minister of Education?

Share on Social Media
      Janelle Gravett
      Participant

HI Lynel – I know Mr Samuels is active on this forum so after the holidays he may well give us a comment!  Also something to bring up at the QCTO forum at the end of the month!  It would certainly give the QCTO time to evaluate etc.!  However, sometimes more time is not a good thing!

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Janelle, I agree with you.  Mr Samuels could give us some very valuable input.  That would be fantastic.  This is for sure something we need to add to the discussions that we will have with the QCTO on the Information Sessions.  Apologies for the late response to you, my plate is a bit full this week.  I will attempt checking in now and again, so my responses will be a bit delayed.   

Share on Social Media
      Danielle Gibb
      Participant

Hi, Please could someone urgently advise me as to where i can find info on the extension of the SETAs and when has it been extend until.

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Danielle, please find attached.  It is extended until March 2020

Share on Social Media
      Danielle Gibb
      Participant

Thanks so much. Does this encompass all the SETA’s?

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Danielle, yes it does.  Unless they are closed down.  All Setas have been extended whether under administration or not.  The only time that this license will not happen, is closure (which I doubt will happen)

Share on Social Media
      sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi – just to clarify, these are three separate issues:

• the SETAs incorporation is extended to end March 2020,
      • the NSDS III is extended until end March 2020,
      • the qualifications – new are valid until ?? and legacy are valid until ??
      Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,

Yes, clarification is of utmost importance here.

1. Setas license will expire end of March 2020 (thus the permanent structures that were talked about for 2018 is now null and void, till further notice)

2. I have emailed DHET and requested some info regarding the NSDS IIII which they were busy with compiling, but there are too many issues and the NSDS III is extended till 2020

3.  Legacy Qualifications have registration end dates 30th June 2018, and it seems that this will not be extended again.  This needs careful “checking” continuously and we need to ensure that those whom are conducting learning interventions on legacy qualifications still fall under the “last date for enrolment which is 30th June 2019 and the “last date of achievement” is towards 30th June 2022 this will be the safest (My opinion and recommendation).  Continues checking!!!

Share on Social Media
      Danielle Gibb
      Participant

Okay thanks so much, that made it easier for me to understand. Sorry. Does anyone perhaps know where i can find a link/letter stating the Seta licenses have been extended to March 2020. 

Share on Social Media
      Danielle Gibb
      Participant

Thanks so much Sylvia, made it easier for me to understand.

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Oh, I forgot Sylvia.  The Occupational Qualifications is also registered for 3 years – the one I was looking at was registered in July 2015 and the registration end date is July 2018 …………………

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Danielle, this is found in the Government Gazette, Vol. 618 dated the 15th December 2016, No. 40505.  I will place the link here in a minute or so for you

Share on Social Media
      Lynel Farrell
      Keymaster

Hi Danielle, as requested, the Government Gazette that you need

Share on Social Media
Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media