NAPTOSA statement on the GEC qualification

Front Page Looking For… Post-school Education & Training – including TVET NAPTOSA statement on the GEC qualification

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Des Squire 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

The media have been full of fairly hysteric responses to a recent announcement of changes to the Basic Education system.

Please see the attached media statement by the National Professional Teachers Organisation of South Africa. (NAPTOSA).

NAPTOSA is registered by the Registrar of Labour Relations as a trade union, and is the second largest in the sector, and a member of the Public Service Co-ordinating Bargaining Council (PSCBC).

The media statement explains that the introduction of the General Education Certificate (GEC) at the end of Grade 9, (the old Standard 7), is registered on the NQF, as a level 1 qualification. It is not intended as an exit from schooling certificate, it forms part of a 3 stream system.

The intention is to divide schooling into 3 streams, based upon the ability of the learner.

Currently, all learners proceed upon an academic route – clearly we all know that is not suitable to all learners.

So there would be 3 routes:

the academic route remains, with
      a vocational route, and
      an occupational route.

Please see the attached media statement for further explanation and clarification.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thank you so much Sylvia, will share for sure!

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Very interresting developments and something I have proposed since as far back as 2012. See the attached article.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Dear Des,
      Thank you for that – it reminds me of that expression – not sure if it is biblical – that all comes to those who wait – or something to that effect 🙂

Personally I am very supportive of the concept, I saw a presentation on it some time ago, and now we just need to make it happen.

Share on Social Media

Maxine Peters
    Participant

Good day all

Exciting times in the training industry, Des enjoy your article thank you.
    You said it all…
    In my pondering mode how long for this to be properly understood?
    Do all professional bodies have opinions on this?
    What are we doing to share it where it matters the most?

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Maxine,
      I picked up your comment about professional bodies – I am not sure about about the consultation with professional bodies.
      Over the last decade SAQA has been registering professional bodies and designations, but I am not sure that they have effectively been included for consultation, in the statutory processes that exist.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Maxine
    I have invcorporated it into my training for EE and Skils Development forums as a means of sharing the concept with employees of companies who in turn would share within their communities.
    I also advocate that companies share this as part of their corporate social responsibility by education and sharing the TVET concept (Technical Education and qualification) with communities while at the same time entering into partnerships with TVET and community based colleges with a view to mentoring, and upskilling where and when required.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media