Misuse of the term Accredited/Accreditation

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Ermi Pillai 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Des Squire
    Participant

So many of our registered providers and others continually misuse the term accredited when referring to training. QCTO brought this to the attention of the delegates at the last QCTO workshop. There is not such thing as accredited training material, accredited assessor, accredited moderators or accredited facilitators.
    Accreditation refers to the training provider. It is the provider who is accredited by the QCTO or by a SETA. Once the providers business is accredited the provider is then given programme approval to deliver certain training programmes. These programmes are aligned to specif qualifications and or unit standards registered on the NQF with SAQA or with the QCTO.

A qualified assessor and/or moderator is registered with a SETA or more than one SETA and is approved to assess or moderate specific programmes as outlined in the registration document issued by the SETA.

Share on Social Media

Petra Penninkhoff
    Participant

Thank you so much, Des, for this post. The other day I saw another misuse of the terminology and I was going to say something. You beat me to it. It really frustrates me that so many people who should now, are misusing and confusing these terms.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thank you so much Des, may I impose upon you – please would you copy onto a word document entitled Definitions & I will ask Alan to load into the Downloads section.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Des, please clarify for me – I seem to recall that Assessors and Moderators all need to be registered with the ETDP SETA first – is that correct?

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Des, good point! Please could you ADD, that providers don’t get Accredited by the DHET, but REGISTERED (another story, for another day, and so it continues). You could actually run a workshop on what is accredited, accreditation, registered, registration, which comes first – almost like a reporting line – no short cuts. Start by step one. Learning Material is approved per application (there is no blanket approval nor is learning material accredited). Assessors and Moderators must be registered for the historical legacy qualifications, skills programmes, unit standards, however this will all change once you go over to the QCTO – lots of confusion, and so little time to place a discussion of the major changes coming in from the QCTO. Some will be shocked and will have lots of negative comments about the changes, some will say Amen to that! Soon, I will place some interesting facts, but for now …. over and out!

Share on Social Media

Ermi Pillai
      Participant

Hi Sylvia

If I may comment. I did a programme in training practices through UNISA which included a module on conducting assessments. I was not able to register with ETDP Seta as an assessor and they advised that I register with the Services Seta directly. My registration was accepted by the Services Seta.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
        Keymaster

Thanks Ermi – I see that Des confirms that is correct.

Share on Social Media

Simphiwe Mdikane
    Participant

That is correct Ermi, you register with your relevant SETA. The assessor course is an ETDP course within an accredited qualification. Once you obtain your qualification for assessor, then you can apply for registration within your SETA, unless ETDP is your SETA.

We can have the workshops, but I doubt they will help. The reason being, this industry is flooded by people not interested in training and skills transfer. They just saw an opportunity to make a quick buck.

These people who are misusing these terms, they are not new in the game, they’ve been here for donkey years. So, why don’t they know the difference?

Hi, my name is Simphiwe. I’m a registered Assessor with TETA and ETDP SETAs, a registered Moderator with TETA and my company is accredited with TETA. Does that make sense?

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Dear Simphiwe – thanks so much for your explanation – that makes it much clearer to have an example.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Sylvia. Following training as an assessor the Statement of results is issued by the ETDP SETA.
    The qualified assessor then only registers with the SETA or SETA’s of their choice related to the qualification and or unit standard they wish to assess.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Great – thanks for clarificatin Des

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Ernie
    See my response to sylvia. So what you were told is correct. The SETA you register with is the seta where the unit standards or qualifications you wish to assess are registered.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi sylvia

See attached as requested

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Des, Thanks – much appreciated.
    I have just picked up your mail about the log in problem – but I see that you have resolved.
    sylvia

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Des,
    This is an area that causes much miscommunication. To add to the confusion and to follow on what Lynel said, mix in the DoL or DoT Approval required for certain courses subject to Regulations, such as First Aid, Lifting Machinery Operators and Convey dangerous goods by road.

In short we have:
    1. Accreditation awarded to a training provider, subject to compliance with Accreditation criteria. Secondary accreditation is generally referred to as “Learning Programme Approval”
    2. Assessor/Moderator registration with a SETA, subject to compliance with relevant registration criteria.
    3. DHET Registration awarded to a training provider, following accreditation and subject to compliance with Registration criteria.
    4 Where required, Approval by DoL/DoT, also following accreditation.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

H Nigel,
      Thanks for expanding upon the defnitions –
      please clarify –
      what does secondary accreditation mean?
      And why does it refer to Learning Programme approval?

Share on Social Media

Ermi Pillai
    Participant

Thank you Des

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media