Material development for QCTO qualifications

Front Page Looking For… Quality Council for Trades & Occupations (QCTO) Material development for QCTO qualifications

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Thandile Meyiswa 5 days, 15 hours ago.

• Author

Petra Penninkhoff
    Participant

Are there any guidelines for the development of learning materials for the QCTO qualifications? The only “guidelines” I see are for the development of a qualification itself, not for the materials.

Share on Social Media

Bernard Botha
    Participant

Petra,

Sorry for the long delay – only saw your post now.

If you look at the QCTO application for accreditation you will come across a document called Form 2 or Annexure G.

Copied the relevant part.

Although the QCTO is not prescriptive in the form or manner of learning material that will be used to implement the curriculum, it is nevertheless still important to indicate how the content will be covered. Bear in mind that learning material for this qualification should be aimed at the implementation of all three components that would best benefit the achievement of all competencies, in order for learners to achieve a Statement of Results.

At the roadshow the QCTO presenters referred to this issue and clearly stated that in the QCTO world there is no such a thing as ‘accredited, registered, approved by XXX’ material!

As one presenter said, if you only want to use slides and YouTube you are welcome – as long as you provide a work-ready product.

Bernard

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Petra Penninkhoff
    Participant

Thanks Bernard. Very useful.

I went to the roadshow in Durban some months ago, but did not get this info.

Share on Social Media

Marie Smith
      Participant

Petra
      There are currently no guidelines – and I doubt whether there will be in the near future. I have, however, just completed the materials for the full level 5 qualification OC: Learning and Development Practitioner, and can only say that it is quite an intense process. In addition to developing learner guides on all the Knowledge Components, you need to look at the curriculum requirements for the Practical and Workplace Experience components and ensure that in the learner guides you cover the requirements to prepare learners for their practical and workplace experience components, and also for the EISA exams, for which nobody can predict the format it at this stage. You need to build tools into the practical guides and workplace experience guides to guide both the learners and the “trainers” that will be allocated to them for these two components.

Share on Social Media

Thandile Meyiswa
    Participant

Good day all,

What is the process on getting content accredited that is not aligned to any unit standard?

I think unit standards needs to be written first…How does one go about starting such a process? I have been asking for this process to no success even from the QCTO? and SAQA.

Share on Social Media

Bernard Botha
    Participant

Thandile,

Please note that is my personal opinion but it is backed by statements from the QCTO.

I attach Form 2, akn as Annexure G where the QCTO clearly states that ‘it is not prescriptive in the use of learning material.’ At the Bloemfontein roadshow that I attended the remark was made that there is no such a thing as ‘QCTO accredited, approved, aligned or endorsed’ learning material. Any provider can use whatever material he or she uses to ensure that all the topics in the Curriculum Document are covered. Each OC has its own Curriculum Document and associated Assessment Document.

You can download the whole process from the QCTO website – just be warned that you should not use Google as the QCTO website was hacked and your antivirus will block you. You can access it via EDGE

You can use your own material, be it a text book, personal notes, videos etc. to get the message across. Please remember that the OC’s have three components, Knowledge Modules (WHY do we do something the way we do), Practical Skills Modules (HOW we do it) and the Workplace Skills Modules (DO THE JOB in real life). The main emphasis is not on the Knowledge Modules – they should only form about 30 % (or less) of the material – the emphasis is on the HOW and the practical execution of the task.

By the way, ‘converting’ the old Unit-Standard based material to “QCTO aligned” material is merely a sleight of hand – the two animals are completely different and what worked for the US based world does not work in the new OC world.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Des Squire
    Participant

If my understanding is correct, while there is no prescribed format laid down the intended content of the programme must be covered in full. However the requirements for the “External Integrated Summative Assessment” (EISA) must be met. QCTO lays great emphasis on the EISA but all other elements related to the Knowledge/Theory, Workplace and practical components must be met and verified before a learner can undertake the EISA test.

Share on Social Media

Bernard Botha
    Participant

Des,

Thanks for the comment – you are absolutely correct that all aspects in the curriculum document must be covered. I tend to forget some aspects to the detriment of others.

My gut feel is that the main emphasis should lie on the Practical Skills and Workplace Modules with the Knowledge Modules merely providing the skeleton on which the other two hang.

Bernard

Share on Social Media

Duncan Nemalili
    Participant

Thanks a lot Bernard ……..you’re such a blessing , just reading your post I got answered

Share on Social Media

Bernard Botha
    Participant

Duncan,

Thanks. If you want to, you can contact me at bothabe@telkomsa.net.

working on the OC’s and have cracked most of the issues; the major one is the ‘learning material’ – see Form 2.

Bernard

Share on Social Media

Thandile Meyiswa
    Participant

Apologies for the tardiness in my response.

Thank You Bernard and Des for your guidance and advise.

Much appreciated

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media