Market Research

This topic contains 1 reply, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Ali Parry 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Aspiring to be a training provider, I am posing the following question to all providers:

1. Is there still place for training providers?

2. With the current economic situation in South Africa – will there still be room for growth not only for businesses but also for companies with all the changes in training and development?

Honest feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you

M

Share on Social Media

Bernard Botha
    Participant

Madivan,

Comments to your questions:

1.  Yes, the public institutions can’t cope with the demand BUT private providers battle to get funds

2.  Once all the turmoil settles (if and when) it should be feasible – subject to same proviso as 1

Share on Social Media

Charles Dey
    Participant

1. Training providers in the private space will be well advised to form partnerships with public providers as there is active State discouragement of private providers

2. To set up as a new provider (whether in partnership with a public provider or not) requires really deep pockets in order to meet all regulatory requirements. You will need to hire some fairly expensive expertise.

My advice would be to ensure that whatever the field in which you wish to provide training, your training can be offered in as many other African countries as possible – that’s where the real growth lies, not here.

Share on Social Media

Hannes Nel
    Participant

Madivan, There is only one very obvious answer to your question. Seeing that you seem to be doing research, I will at least reply by saying that the need for training, especially training offered by private providers is now more critical than ever before.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Yes there is still a place for training providers – and yes they will survive despite the efforts of some.

There are two things that need to happen – the fly by nights need to be weeded out and companies must go back to doing what they did before the onset of the Skills Development Act. A well intentioned initiative but failed thus far to achieve the objectives with some few exceptions.     

Share on Social Media

Carel Ballack
    Participant

I think the demand is industry & technology specific & then you need to consider whether the training would be formal or informal. If you wanted to do formal training i.e. SETA and or QCTO approved, the answers would be different than when the training would be more informal. Training presented to professional bodies which would essentially be CPD approved still has a high demand if the topic is relevant and poses fairly good income opportunities. Formal training could pose higher risks depending on where the funding for the training comes from. Informal training again also has good demand depending on the topic and the industry.

Do i think there is place for more training providers? Well of course, there will always be. That said the various industries need to be considered.

Room for growth? Diversify training material for different industries and consider possible markets with future growth.

Currently water and energy would have good future growth prospects due to demand & shortages in the sectors. 

Share on Social Media

Hi,

Thank you for the replies, all valid and appreciated. 

I am of the same view that training has a place in our society and will have for many years to come, however as mentioned certain steps must take place to ensure that the standard of training is uphold.  Fly by night training providers must be reprimanded.

It just sometime seems that private providers are not seen in a good light by companies, and I take it that it is because of fly by night provides and the perception by companies that private provider’s standards are not as high as some institutions.

Share on Social Media

Charles Dey
    Participant

Not only the non accredited providers. There are many providers in my knowledge who are SETA accredited but who offer very sub standard training owing to the fact that the SETA quality assurance functions are effectively dysfunctional.

Share on Social Media

It is rather unfortunate that people (who should know better) still use the old misnomer ‘fly-by-night’ to discribe perfectly legitimate training providers. In all the years I was in training I could not get a handle on that term. The government still uses this term to taint informal training providers, even if they offer excellent training. Yes you get bad quality and good quality informal and formal training. Then  you get fraudsters who take the training fees and run. These last ones are the ones that can rightly be called ‘fly-by’night’ trainers. They are criminals and can go to jail for what they do. 

If quality assurance is used correctly, accredited providers should be fairly good quality. Informal training providers are dealt with by the market place and will soon run out of work if they deliver bad quality products. 

Find your niche and work yourself into the hearts of your potential clients and you should be OK. However, try to make it informal or you will walk into the endless mess of bad services from the SETAs and other official bodies.

Share on Social Media

I couldn’t agree with you more, Marietta. The term ‘fly-by-night’ has been used recklessly for years and the market should (and generally does) decide which providers are competent and able to add value to a client’s business.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media