LEARNING ASSUMED TO BE IN PLACE

Front Page Looking For… Accreditation Processes LEARNING ASSUMED TO BE IN PLACE

This topic contains 2 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Joe Samuels 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Hi there,

We require advice regarding  the learning assumed to be in place modules that have expired and that are no longer on the diploma roll – requirement of previous learning what do we do in these
    instances? In other words, do we focus only on the prerequisites of the qualification or when we draw a unit standard out from the qualification and the unit standard specifies learning assumed to be in place , do we have to bring add ins to the qualification per unit standard requirement or can we only focus on the full qualification prerequisites as a whole? I did some research and couldn’t find a definte answer.

I will really appreciate your expert advise.

Kind Regards,

Anzel Spiller

Share on Social Media

I base my answer on my experience as an academic advisor at a few universities in South Africa.

The learning that you referred to, is most likely linked to a qualification that has expired.  In most cases, qualifications have a shelf life of about ten years.

Since this learning modules are no longer in circulation, your options could be:

1. Approach the owner of the unit standard/qualification and see if it can be revived.
    2. Write your own material on the subject and register that with the relevant quality assurance body, after which you make sure that it remains current.
    3. Develop a short course that can be imbedded into a program.
    4. Consider an RPL process to test a person’s prior learning on a unit/module/subject and design a bridging course to close potential gaps.

Hope that helps to steer you into some direction.

Share on Social Media

Andrew Friedemann
    Participant

I have been in the same position a number of times – The word ‘assumed’ in my opinion means just that. It is not something that has to be included. Just focus on the prerequisites of the qualification. To give a very simplistic example, if the Learning assumed to be in place was literacy at level 4, you would expect the learner to be able to read and write, but you are not specifically going to assess this.

HOWEVER that said – an ETQA manager I asked about this stated I must assess the Learning assumed to be in place. I think she was badly mistaken personally.

Share on Social Media

Thanks Andrew much appreciated

Share on Social Media

Yes thank you Peter, much appreciated.

Share on Social Media

David Loubser
    Participant

Hi Anzel

I hope i understand you correctly. If you do research in SAQA policy docs, you will find that learning assumed to be in place was never meant to represent an entrance requirement. many unit std developers inccorrectly put fundamental requirements in the stds. learning assumed to be in place, was to cover specific skills required by a learner before he could enter go to the next level / standard, it was assumed without it the learner would battle to master the content. Example: Before a fitter works on the pump standard, he might have to have done the bearing std first or before learners do welding, they might need to do metal characteristcis first. having said this, within your qualification learning assumed to be in place could be used to sequence the stds. In your situation i would use the qualification entrance requirements. Learning assumed to be in place can be assessed with a baseline assessment for screening purposes but it certainly will not be assessed within the qualification.

Hope this helps you. Dave

Share on Social Media

Yes thank you so much Dave!

Share on Social Media

Hi Anzel,

In practical terms feedback would depend a lot on your actual requirement, that is which qualification are you referring to?

1. Qualifications registered on the NQF and managed by SAQA normally have to be reviewed every 3 years (see the table on pg1 of each qualification for the various dates applicable). Currently all non-expiring qualifications were extended to 2015. New qualifications are expected to mainly emanate from QCTO.

2. Individual unit standards not re-registered, fall off the NQF as they expire UNLESS they are within a qualification which is not expiring. In the latter case the unit standard remains valid if it is part of a learning programme leading to the full qualification (ie not as a stand-alone or single unit standard or as part of a skills programme).

3. Learning assumed to be in place ideally should NOT refer to specific unit standards, but in many qualifications this is the case. To be honest, SAQA would be your best bet for an answer where a specific unit standard is referred to, but is now expired (check the last registration, teach-out dates etc as well as just the expiry date by the way).

4. Generally I agree with Dave that this is ASSUMED learning, and not part of your learning programme. A good check may be to include this assumed learning in your pre-assessment / selection process.

5. Where the pre-assessment / selection process identifies that the learner most probably does not have the learning assumed to be in place (eg IT skills), one solution is to offer a separate, parallel, programme which ensures that the learner has picked up the missing learning by the time it is required in your specific learning programme, or at least by the end of your learning programme.

6. To the best of my knowledge learning assumed to be in place is NOT assessed as part of the qualification assessment process. Then again, each (previously ETQA) now QAMD has it’s own interpretation/s.

I was glad to read the inputs from Peter, Andrew and Dave – all useful.

Steven

Share on Social Media

Learning assumed to be in place is exactly that – learning that is assumed to be in place already – it means that if the learner does not have it he/she will struggle to master the content of the next bit of learning. Learning assumed to be in place also did’not exclude a learner automatically like “admissions requirements” so it is a slightly softer approach but nevertheless it is very important that is why it is stated as it is. 

Regards

Joe Samuels

Share on Social Media

and you will struggle to get a more auspicious and appropriate response than that Anzel (referring to the clarification from Joe Samuels, much appreciated)!

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media