Is DHET compliant with PAJA on proposed skills development changes?

Front Page Looking For… Post-school Education & Training – including TVET Is DHET compliant with PAJA on proposed skills development changes?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lynel Farrell 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

All skills universe members are affected by changes in the Skills Development landscape and the National Skills Development Strategy. Therefore everyone appreciates the chance of making comment on any changes proposed by DHET.

Everyone also has a Constitutional right to fair administrative action, which is given effect by the Promotion of Administrative Justice Act (PAJA). That provides a legal obligation on State departments to seek that comment.

Why then would DHET publish a government gazette on the 15th December, which is traditionally the last day of work for many to start their annual holiday on the Public Holiday of the 16th December?

Does that constitute fair administrative action? To publish a document for comment, when most of the time available is over the holidays?

At a minimum, to constitute fair administrative action, the comment time period should be extended to the end of February 2018.

To make comment easier, Skills-universe has uploaded and saved the two key documents in the Downloads section – as they are very large documents and too large to attach to Discussion Group discussions (See the right-hand side of the Home page for Downloads links).

Lynel, who administers the Concerned Providers Interest Group has also requested comments for integration into their document they are preparing. Please take this chance to exercise your Constitutional right of comment on changes, which will inevitably affect your working life.

The discussiion is available on the following link:

Link to Concerned Providers Interest Group discussion

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thank you so much Sylvia. I agree, the timing of the gazette was done, when most of the stakeholders/industry/providers took time off, to spend with their loved ones. Time is crucial. If we don’t submit concerns, comments or give input, then we cannot complain. We need to come together and submit input before the deadline date! Thank you once again

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Dear Lynel, co-incidentally as I was reading your posting on “we need to come together” on the radio Katherine Jenkins was playing A World in Union.
    These are the words:
    “World In Union”

There’s a dream, I feel
    So rare, so real
    All the world in union
    The world as one

Gathering together
    One mind, one heart
    Every creed, every color
    Once joined, never apart

Searching for the best in me
    I will find what I can be
    If I win, lose or draw
    It’s a victory for all

It’s the world in union
    The world as one
    As we climb to reach our destiny
    A new age has begun

We may face high mountains
    Must cross rough seas
    We must take our place in history
    And live with dignity

Just to be the best I can
    That’s the goal for every man
    If I win, lose or draw
    It’s a victory for all

It’s the world in union
    The world as one
    A new age has begun

If we win, lose or draw
    It’s a victory for all

It’s the world in union
    The world as one
    A new age has begun

It’s the world in union
    The world as one
    A new age has begun

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Thank you Sylvia! So inspirational! Love it! Standing together and addressing concerns, giving input and comments, can make such a big difference to everyone in the Education Industry. Let’s make a positive difference.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Dear Skills Development Providers, please forward your comments or input by no later: 23 January 2018. Your voices are important. Should you prefer to email me your input/comments, please feel free to do so: Lynel.farrell@gmail.com

Thank you for making a difference!

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Having just had a quick glance at the document it is definitely a pity the department does not give us more time to study it in greater detail.
    Providers must take the time to read through the proposals – some quite interesting – and make the necessary comments.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention Sylvia

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Herewith some input/comments which I can share with you. Would you like to build on these comments? Please get involved and add your voice, so that we can submit before the deadline!

My concern is that the existing SETA landscape is complex and expensive and my objective is to simplify it as follows (shortened for linked in comment).

1. Simplify the business architecture.
    a. Centralise policy in the DHET with four branches.
    b. Simplify the SETAs as departments in the NSA.

2. Streamline the processes.
    a. Define the processes in the NSA.
    b. Centralise definition of one set of streamlined SETA processes. The SETAs would then all follow the same processes, which were defined at NSA level.
    c. Remove QA from SETAs into QCTO.
    d. Define timelines for SETA outcomes.

3. Grow the skills and knowledge for radical economic transformation.
    a. Understand the role of entrepreneurship in growing the economy and creating jobs.
    b. Understand the role of the NSA in
    – supporting entrepreneurship and the free market.
    – supporting existing business.
    – supporting individuals in the labour market.
    – supporting and funding education and training institutions
    – supporting education and training in the radical economic transformation to industry 4.0 including artificial intelligence, machine learning and robot jobs

Share on Social Media

Suzanne Hattingh
    Participant

NATIONAL SKILLS DEVELOPMENT PLAN: The NSDP recognises that it is “necessary to re-examine systems and structures to ensure that we are making the best use of resources”. In my comments on the NSDP, I raise 8 questions that we need to ask in re-examining the underlying assumptions and our ingrained beliefs about our skills development system.
    1. Is our understanding of an ‘occupation’ still valid in the changing workplace?
    2. Should our focus be on occupations or on the skills required for performance in different work contexts?
    3. Does the WSP provide reliable and credible data for decision making?
    4. Is the OFO appropriate for collecting data on skills needs?
    5. Should occupational qualifications be developed for occupations on the OFO?
    6. Is it feasible to require work experience in all programmes for developing workplace competence?
    7. Does the NSDP make sufficient provision for SMEs and entrepreneurship?
    8. Will the NSDP succeed in improving SETA performance and the relevance of the NSA?

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Suzanne, thank you so much for your comments and questions. So valuable! I will be reading your document for sure!

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

For those whom have been delaying their application for registration with the DHET, I urge you to get this submitted as a matter of urgency. I will be posting various extracts from the DHET which is going live in the public domain. Do not delay this process please – if you have submitted your application for registration with the DHET, please ensure that you have proof of submission readily available.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media