Independent Assessor Report Fort Hare University

Front Page Looking For… Basic and Higher Education Independent Assessor Report Fort Hare University

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

The following media statement has been issued by the Ministry of Higher Education Science & Technology, & the Government Gazette referred to is attached for your convenience.

Tuesday, 17 December 2019

“STATEMENT ON THE REPORT OF THE INDEPENDENT ASSESSOR INTO THE AFFAIRS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF FORT HARE

In July 2019, the Minister of Higher Education, Science and Technology, Dr Blade Nzimande, appointed an Independent Assessor at the University of Fort Hare to investigate a range of matters related to governance and management at the University.

Professor Chris Brink, former Vice Chancellor at the Universities of Stellenbosch and Newcastle was appointed as the Independent Assessor, assisted by Professor Louis Molamu, former Registrar of the University of South Africa. The appointment and the terms of reference were detailed in the Government Notice No. 649 of the Government Gazette No. 42567 of 5 July 2019.

The Independent Assessor submitted the final report within the stipulated 90 days. “I would like to thank Professor Brink and Professor Molamu immensely for their hard work in conducting the assessment. I also would like to thank Mr Bulelani Mahlangu who was appointed in terms of section 48 of the Higher Education Act No 101 of 1997, to assist the team in investigations related to the financial affairs of the University,” said Minister Nzimande.

Minister Nzimande also express his appreciation to the entire University community for their co-operation with the investigation. “I thank all stakeholders who made presentations to the Independent Assessor, and all who cooperated with the Independent Assessor to ensure that the investigation was done and concluded successfully, added the Minister.

Minister Nzimande has approved the Report for publication in the Government Gazette. The Report has been published in Government Notice No. 1592 of the Government Gazette No. 42902 of 13 December 2019.

The Minister has also shared the Report with the Administrator, Professor Loyiso Nongxa so that he can consider his response on the findings and recommendations contained therein and how the University will give effect to the recommendations.

“I will also be tabling the Report before the National Assembly. I plan to meet with the Administrator and the Independent Assessors, in the New Year, as part of processing the Report,” conformed the Minister.

Minister Nzimande trusts that the recommendations contained in the Report will assist in restoring good governance and management at the University of Fort Hare.

The Minister also urges the public to study the Report as this will assist in strengthening accountability and promoting the implementation of the recommendations.”

Issued by:
    Minister of Higher Education, Science and Technology
    DSI Building 53
    627 Meiring Naude Road
    Brummeria Pretoria
    Enquiries: Ishmael Mnisi on 0660378859 or [email protected]

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media