How do SETAs shift responsibility for administrative incompetence?

Front Page Looking For… SETA ISSUES How do SETAs shift responsibility for administrative incompetence?

Viewing 5 posts - 6 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Dear Geraldine,
    Now that is by far the worst example I have been given – and I do have a few.

Thabisile suggested penalising – I am reluctant to accept that as an approach, but certainly in this case I would like to know (I think that we all should know):
    what action was taken in that SETA?

Geraldine Schoeman
    Participant

Absolutely no action was taken whatsoever. Not even by the Minister. The SETA had one of many interim CEOs when this occurred and went through about three CEOs in a period of three years or so as a result of serial suspensions. Absolutely no-one was willing to take responsibility with everyone saying someone else had handled the files and, eventually more than three years later that a person who had subsequently left had “lost” the files and nothing could be done about it.
    Two of the learners eventually repeated the same learnership to get their qualification.

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

That is an enormous disappointment.
    A thought and a question I have:
    * thought: once again – we need a skills development Ombudsperson, and
    * question: has anybody ever taken up a legal cause of action under our Constitutional right to fair administrative action, which is given effect in the Promotion of Administrative Justice Act (PAJA)? The learners would have had a class action.

Geraldine Schoeman
    Participant

Absolutely yes. Completely agree. Wish I had thought of advising them to use PAJA as recourse. Pretty sure that it would have made a pretty solid challenge.

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thanks for that Geraldine.

I am going to approach ASDSA Board about this.

No more %%&*(!@#$%^&*(&^## around – we need an Ombudsperson, & we need people trained in the rights under PAJA, & how to pursue them.

Thanks for your input.

Viewing 5 posts - 6 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media