HET Portfolio Committee demands explanation on non-compliance 3 month certificate issuance

Front Page Looking For… Post-school Education & Training – including TVET HET Portfolio Committee demands explanation on non-compliance 3 month certificate issuance

This topic contains 1 reply, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Gavin Tonks 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

In a major meeting of the acronyms: the PPCHET demands explanation from DHET, SITA (the state IT service), Umalusi (we hope including SETAs), and TVETs on the failure to comply with the 3 month time-line for issuance of graduate certificates.

Many skills-universe members will be able to relate to the problems of failure to timeously issue certificates to learners who have qualified.  Apart from the inconvenience, there are actual financial implications – artisans cannot claim the full artisan rate without the red seal certificate, new job applications and CVs cannot be submitted without relevant certificates proving qualifications.

So it was with a major round of applause and loud shots of congratulations to Connie September, Chair of the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Higher Education and Training – that I read the following SANews.gov report. 

“The Portfolio Committee on Higher Education and Training has called for disciplinary measures against the officials responsible for delays in issuing certificates to students who have graduated from Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) colleges.

Committee chairperson Connie September said the committee has noted the efforts of Higher Education and Training Minister Blade Nzimande in trying to resolve the matter. However, the delays were unacceptable.

“The Department of Higher Education and Training, Umalusi and the State Information Technology Agency (SITA) do not seem to have a sense of accountability on this matter and seem to blame each other.

“The fact that students do not have certificates negates government’s objectives to have skilled young graduates in order to alleviate the poverty challenge. The policy that certificates should be produced in three months [after graduating] is simply not being adhered to,” September said.

The department, Umalusi and SITA were in Parliament on Wednesday to brief the committee on challenges in issuing certificates.

The members of the committee expressed frustration and dissatisfaction over the backlog in issuing certificates, which has not been cleared since 2007.

“This is a travesty of justice. Action must be taken against lecturers who do not submit marks, resulting in students having to rewrite models. The committee will engage the Departments of Telecommunications and Basic Education on what steps can be taken to address the situation,” September said.

She said the Department of Higher Education and Training, Umalusi, colleges and SITA will be called before the committee again to provide an update report on how they are adhering to policy.”

Report by SAnews.gov.za

Share on Social Media

Gavin Tonks
    Participant

In the APPED meeting, we attended yesterday on the compulsory registration of FET colleges, the issue of late certificates was brought up and QCTO said they are undertaking the certificate issue and promise to ensure timeous delivery. Was a very good meeting, nice when senior people come together and explain things.

Share on Social Media

well, well, well – die wiele draai! Nearly 10 years to issue certificates – unconscionable. I wonder how they will cope with registering all the tuition providers within the next 4 months.

Share on Social Media

Marlie Spencer
    Participant

Hi Gavin,

Any possibility of giving us an overview of what was discussed at the APPETD meeting? I am particularly interested on feedback from Dr Shaheeda Essack around the registration of private skills development providers. Did they perhaps confirm that providers accredited for single unit standards also need to register? And did they address any of the challenges the SDPs might face, such as the financial surety requirement?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks, Marlie

Share on Social Media

I also want to know the answers to these two burning questions. Thanks, Marlie

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Keymaster

And so the plot thickens.  So glad that someone in parliament have brought this up – I am over the moon!  Yipppieeeeee

Share on Social Media

Renee’ McGibbon
    Participant

Wow! I think we are all awaiting good news on this with baited breath!

I certainly hope the SETA’s are included in this. Perhaps we can next address the issues surrounding the VERY different accreditation evidence requirements of the various SETA QA bodies, much of this evidence being way to involved and intricate for the small training providers to understand, let alone provide.

In a perfect world, there would be one set of evidentiary compliance evidence require for provider quality assurance across the SETA spectrum, with learning programme content evaluation and verification being done by the various SETA’s who have the subject matter expertise in their sectors.

This would certainly reduce the time taken for accreditation to be awarded. In a perfect world…

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Keymaster

Hear, hear!  That would be super cool!

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

This is a parliamentary response to the recent concerns our public TVET College learners raised a few weeks back – many members may recall that learners at these colleges had a series of “stay-aways” and met with Minister Nzimande to resolve the fact that Umalusi (Nothing to do with QCTO and SETAs) have not issued the National Certificate: Vocational & NATED certificates for some years now.

In regards to SETA’s, certification delays will be resolved when the QCTO takes over the certificate process for the new QCTO qualifications as Assessment Partners, which will administer the final examination, are required by the QCTO to (1) mark, (2) moderate and (3) capture learner achievements on the QCTO’s database within 21 days of the exam sitting. Learners writing these exams may be in the hundreds per sitting, and the AQP would need to meet the 21 days regardless of the number of learners.  

Share on Social Media

Is SITA a major role-player in issuing TVET certificates? Or was she mixing up her SITAs and SETAs? But YES, good to hear that finally this is getting attention from the right quarters. And YES, please update us on the APPETD meeting.

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

The SITA is the “State Information Technology Agency”. It is not a Sector Education and Training Authority (SETA).

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Steven, thanks to Kate who jumped to my support there.

No I am quite clear that the SITA is the information technology body that is responsible for the systems that lead to issueing of the certificates.  Some years ago now – I sat in a HE&T Parliamentary Portfolio Committee meeting listening to the explanation of why there is this problem with certificates. The magnitude of the problem was simply mind-blowing.

I can understand – and do support – that the DHET Minister has been pulling together disparate complex elements and creating far more co-ordinated structures.  That would have meant a major challenge in terms of integration of IT systems.  

But to my understanding this is purely a technological issue of integrating systems, or taking over data, allied with the capacity building in the various bodies that upload the information, and those that issue the certificates.  

So I fail to understand why we have not resolved this issue yet.  It is so critical to the learners and their career progress.    

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

To all the skills-universe members who were interested in this discussion,
    Please will you copy and paste into your browser the link below (the link icon doesn’t seem to be working). It will take you to the Parliamentary Monitoring Group page, which has the full minutes of the meeting where DHET, SITA, and Umalusi presented to the HE & T committee.

You will find full minutes, and three presentation files:
    by the SITA on the certificate backlog Status Report on Certification Backlog . Version 1.4,
    by Umalusi on the National Certificate (Vocational) (NCV) Certification Backlog, and
    the presentation by the DHET entitled Resulting and Certification: Presentation to the Portfolio Committee on Higher Education and Training.

https://pmg.org.za/committee-meeting/24019/?utm_campaign=minute-alert&utm_source=transactional&utm_medium=email

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media