Have you bought the August Big Issue yet?

Front Page Looking For… Social Development, Community Building, NPOs & NGOs Have you bought the August Big Issue yet?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Marietjie Niebuhr 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Mandela Day has gone and many will be thinking, well I’ve done my bit for the year.  Not so, there is so much more to be done.

Please support the Big Issue – not only because you are giving to someone who stands out at traffic lights in all sorts of weather – but because the content is good.

The current issue (25 July to 24 August) has a stunning picture of Lira on the cover. (If you don’t know who she is then that is all the more reason to buy the magazine.)

There is a magic supplement included for children – educational and fun. Also an article about making sleeping bags for homeless people out of billboards, environmental issues – with the most amazing photos – and a really good article on South Africa’s shame – no not apartheid, not poverty, not fraud and corruption and tax evasion – “rape culture”.

Oh and for the training providers – an interesting article about ABET training for vendors.

Please help a Big Issue vendor today – for R25.00 you receive really good content – and to save waiting for change you could always hand over R30.00.

Share on Social Media

Marietjie Niebuhr
    Participant

HI Sylvia,

Please advise where this can be obtained?

Marietjie Niebuhr

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Mariette,

The Big Issue is sold by men and women usually at traffic lights – sometimes at shopping centres.  

They always wear a sort of apron/bib and have ID that indicates that they are genuine Big Issue vendors.

The men that I buy from where I am always have their name on the bib – in large letters – so very visible. They tend to have a pitch – so the same vendor is usually at the same place.

The magazine comes out once a month and is R25.00 of which the vendor receives R12.50

Because I buy regularly they always give me a small leaflet with my copy – it has the same picture as the magazine and I display it on the dashboard.  So when other vendors see it they know I already have a copy.

Share on Social Media

Marietjie Niebuhr
    Participant

Thanks. Sylvia, will be on the lookout for them1

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media