Focus Group for Doctoral Research on Challenges experienced by Private Providers in terms of the quality assurance regime in South Africa

Front Page Looking For… Seeking Accreditation or Training material Focus Group for Doctoral Research on Challenges experienced by Private Providers in terms of the quality assurance regime in South Africa

This topic contains 47 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Skills Universe 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Dear Forum members

As part of my doctoral studies, I would like to create a focus group of members of this forum to explore some of the challenges surrounding quality assurance and accreditation of private providers.

This means you can participate online in your own time so that we would not have to meet at a specific time or place.

The way it will work is that I will post questions once a week for about 12 weeks in order to start the discussion on a  specific point. Participants would be free to comment or not, as they see fit. 

In reporting on the discussion, all the ethical norms will be observed, such as anonymity and confidentiality.

If you would like to participate in this focus group, please reply to this post.

Many thanks

Jacqui

Share on Social Media

Kevan Wright

Hi Jacqui – I would like to participate.

Regards

Kevan Wright

Share on Social Media

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

Hi Jacqui I am willing to participate.  Regards Jenni

Share on Social Media

Bernard Botha
    Participant

Jacqui,

Bernard Botha.  I would like to join your group, have been involved with private providers for quite some time and know most of the pitfalls and frustrations.

Share on Social Media

Morning

Will help with pleasure! Regards Gizelle

Share on Social Media

Cecile Dick

Hi Jacqui,

Would participate with pleasure.

Regards

Cecile Dick

Share on Social Media

Jonathon Wigley
    Participant

Hi – I am keen to join, brief background is that I drove the accreditation of WESSA, an environmental NGO as an accredited provider, developed the education and training QMS and an currently using open-source software to develop an online QMS…

kind regards

Jonathon

Share on Social Media

Hallo Jacqui

I am willing to participate

Kind Regards

Lizette Kotze

Share on Social Media

Petra Penninkhoff
    Participant

Hi Jacqui. I am happy to participate. Not that I have a lot of experience as yeyt with quality assurance and accredation as yet. apart from what I have been reading up on, but I have some ideas based on quality assurance throygh a long carreer of developing and facilitating short training workshops in a range of ACP countries

Share on Social Media

As someone wanting to move away from what I have been actively working at for years to do something that is of interest and for which I have talent, training and ability my “outsider” comments may be useful so count me in if you want that perspective.

Erik

Share on Social Media

Hello Jaqui, I would love to participate. Cath Dalton

Share on Social Media

Christa Viljoen
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,
    I would like to participate.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Count me in jacqui

Des Squire

Share on Social Media

Hi Jacqui

I would like to participate in this focus group.

Ronald

Share on Social Media

Hi Jacqui. I will participate.

Regards

Len Haasbroek

Share on Social Media

Thanks, everyone, for your wonderful response. So far 14 people have indicated their willingness to participate. That is quite a nice size for a focus group. But there may be a a few more over the next couple of days.

I would like to start off by getting a feel for the composition of the group. So perhaps you could post a few lines stating whether you are an accredited or an unaccredited provider, assessor, moderator, verifier, facilitator, freelance trainer, etc. Also say which ETQA’s you relate to, are accredited by or registered with – e.g which SETA, DHET, UMALUSI,  QCTO.

For future discussions I will post separate questions as new discussions calling them Focus Group Question 1 etc, so you’ll know when you get the automatic email from this website that you should participate although you may elect not to at any time. There will be ten questions in all. I will probably post them on Fridays for the next ten weeks. You should feel free to respond to other participants’ posts  as well so that it becomes a conversation about the issue much like a face-to-face discussion would take place.

If you have any queries please feel free to email me on jaybee@telkomsa.net 

Kind regards

Jacqui

Share on Social Media

Happy to help Jacqui. Juliet Gillies

Share on Social Media

Jonathon Wigley
    Participant

WESSA is an accredited provider with our line SETA being ETDP SETA but we have also established MOUs/extension of scope with Agri-SETA, CATHSSETA and LGSETA. I am WESSA’s Programme Development Manager i.e. responsible for writing of accredited materials, setting up a new online QMS that all WESSA staff have access to across the country, internal staff development and training to build our capacity to offer accredited training as well as managing a number of projects involving accredited training delivery and development of new offerings…

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Dear Jacqui

Please count me in.

Regards

Athalia

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Dear Jacqui

Please count me in.

Regards

Athalia

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Dear Jacqui

Please count me in.

Regards

Athalia

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Dear Jacqui

Please count me in.

Regards

Athalia

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Dear Jacqui

Please count me in.

Regards

Athalia

Share on Social Media

Desiree Lang

Hi Jacqui,

I would love to be a part of this Focus Group.

We are an accredited female owned training provider for 5 years – total years in skills development 8 years – 30 years of work experience in different sectors doing various functions…I am a registered constituent Assessor and Moderator. We have experienced several site visits from verifiers for both accreditation as a provider and for the verification of learner achievements.

We have successfully completed learners on full qualifications and skills programmes, which means we have experienced all the various processes of the ETQA…

Thank you for this opportunity.

Kind Regards

Desiree

Share on Social Media

Charles Dey
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,

I am more than happy to participate.

All the best,

Charles Dey

Share on Social Media

Hi everyone. I posted Focus Group Question1 but have not had any responses! 

Share on Social Media

Bernard Botha
    Participant

Where did you post the question?  I did not see any question.

Bernard Botha

Share on Social Media

Nigel Shipston
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,

Me too please.

Nigel.

Share on Social Media

OK Guys. It appears that my discussion question is in cyberspace somewhere so I am starting again. 

Share on Social Media

Charles Dey
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,

I have the NC Ocupationally Directed ETD (SAQA ID 50333) and am working towards the Diploma. I am registered with the Transport SETA as an Assessor and Moderator. I have run my own (e learning) training company focused on International Supply Chain Management and Logistics (which is the area in which my subject matter expertise lies). I am presently employed as a Consultant to a major International company operating in this field.

Trust this suffices,

All the best,

Charles Dey 

Share on Social Media

Shannon Nell

Dear Jacqui

If it is not too late – I would also like to participate

Regards

Shannon

Share on Social Media

You are welcome, Shannon. The more the merrier! Thanks for your interest.

Share on Social Media

Thoko Gqiba

Hi Jacqui

I would like to participate in the focus group. I’m a service provider accreditated for Assessor and Moderator courses with the ETDP Seta. I have done extensive work within the Department of Education. Currently working within FET’s and High schools on youth development projects.

Regards

Thoko

Share on Social Media

Jennifer Harris
    Participant

Hi Thoko Would a course in effective speaking be of interest to you?

Jennifer Harris 082 920 5564

Share on Social Media

Jennifer Harris
    Participant

Hi Jacqui

Iam afreelance trainer and facilitator in soft skills development. I am an unaccredited provider but registered as an assessor and moderator. If I can be useful to you, I am happy to join you

Thanks

Jennifer Harris

Share on Social Media

Again it seems my focus group question for this week is nowhere to be found. I am not sure what the problem is. So here goes:
    There have been many comments in recent weeks on the negative issues with regard to ETQAs. My list includes: 

• Poor management or lack of leadership
    • Poor or inadequate systems in place
    • Onerous QA requirements
    • Inappropriate staffing
    • Long turnaround times
    • Inconsistent interpretation of QA requirements by staff
    • Many reiterations and resubmissions of information
    • Corruption

Agree? Disagree? Is this tarring everyone with the same brush? Are there pockets of excellence somewhere? Anywhere? 

Share on Social Media

Joe Samuels

Dear Jacqui

I don’t want to be part of your focus group, however, it would be useful for your doctoral work to deal with the change in the quality assurance landscape and thus the questions that you are posing. Quality Assurance since the introduction of the NQF Act of 2008 implementation date 1 June 2009 has moved quality assurance to three quality councils – the council on higher education (CHE) for higher education; quality council for trades and occupations (QCTO) for trades and occupations and quality council for general and further education and training (Umalusi) for general and further education. According to this legislation ETQAs don’t exist anymore. What has happened is that in the skills development environment the QCTO asked SAQA to continue to accredited SETAs to perform the quality assurance function until 30 September 2012. The QCTO will after this date (from 1 October 2012) delegate the quality assurance function to SETAs themselves. This information might not make a difference to the questions that you ask but it has implications from a governance and responsibility for quality assurance. A second point that you might want to take into account is that only providers accredited for qualifications registered on the higher education sub-framework and general and further qualifications framework need registration with the Department of Higher Education while those qualifications registered on the occupational qualifications framework only need to be accredited with the QCTO or the body delegated to perform the quality assurance function.

Everything of the best with your doctoral studies and with your focus group!

Joe Samuels 

Share on Social Media

Dear Joe

Thank you for this. I am aware of the changes taking place which is making the research something of a vexed question because everything is so fluid. Part of the challenge for providers is these changes, in my view. So the thesis is quite exploratory and will kind of shape itself as it proceeds – if that makes sense. Regrettably, thus far I haven’t had much response from those who said they would participate in the focus group! 

Kind regards

Jacqui

Share on Social Media

Hi Jacqui, am interested to participate as am still struggling with my accreditation and hope to learn from the activity. Regards Japhta Monaisa

Share on Social Media

Ashwell Glasson
    Participant

Dear Jacqui,

I would definitely like to participate, this is a facinatingly as well as frustratingly priority topic for many organisations and individuals.

My best, Ashwell

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Jackie – following up on progress – please confirm if you receive this message – thanks

Share on Social Media

Received, thanks.

Share on Social Media

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Jacqui, I think I am a bit late?  But you can count me in as well!!

Share on Social Media

HI Lynel, Not too late. I have created a separate group for this though so please become a member of that group. 

http://www.skills-universe.com/groups/group/listFeatured?xg_source=msg_feat_group

Regards

Jacqui

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Lynel,

Please join Jacqui’s group to answer her first question.

Share on Social Media

Hi Jacqui

I have not visited Skills Universe pages for some time now. I would like to participate in the discussion. My email address: africatechno@gmail.com.

Share on Social Media

Zalia Frosler
    Participant

Hi Jacqui
    on board

Zalia

Share on Social Media

Zalia, thanks. Please send me your email address so that I can invite you to the closed focus group

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media

One thought on “Focus Group for Doctoral Research on Challenges experienced by Private Providers in terms of the quality assurance regime in South Africa

• sylvia hammond

Hi Zerelde, we’re happy for the skills-universe to be used for a survey.  Jacqui as it’s part of your research, maybe you’d like to do that.  Zerelde in preparation for a meeting with the chairperson, I would suggest that you download the Promotion of Administrative Justice Act. 

Comments are closed.