Fair pay for Facilitators, Assessors and Moderators

Front Page Looking For… General – topics not covered by categories Fair pay for Facilitators, Assessors and Moderators

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 35 total)
  • Author

WHAT is considered a FAIR daily rate for Facilitators who freelance and are contracted by accredited Training Providers.

YES, rates of pay are determined by supply and demand for Facilitators, Assessors and Moderators who are not covered by Wage Agreements like our Teachers, Nurses and other organised sectors.

Training Facilitators are the new “estate agents” in that there is a growing number of individuals who, for various reasons, promote their skills as “sole proprietorships”. These entrepreneurs compete with each other and with permanently employed Facilitators / Trainers for a share of the Training market.

BUT what is an acceptable, competitive and market related daily rate for a Facilitator????? And for an Assessor or Moderator ?????

We have heard Facilitator rates of pay bandied about of R 800.00 per day to R 5 000.00 per day – what is your experience?

Are Facilitators paid seperately – and more – for designing Course Material ? If so what are the market related rates for Course design.

LET US ALL ASSIST EACH OTHER by understanding acceptable and market-related rates of pay for Facilitators, Assessors and Moderators ……

Please share your views …….

Thanks

Don

http://www.thsbs.com and http://www.eazi.study.com and http://welcomewozani.com

Share on Social Media

Hi Don

This is a very interesting topic because of the wide range of pricing out there!! I have facilitated SA Host workshops for theta and other training and we get paid R5000 a day. On some occassions this has meant a trip to Bloemfontein. Those in Bloemfontein got paid the same R5000 but obviously were in the right place for the debrief!!!

I do quite a lot of work for TEP which is Tourism Enterprise project. There the payment is anything from R3200 for the day for a basic cusstomer care course to R4500 for the day when dealing business skills, marketing and computer internet training. They also pay R2.80 per km for petrol and if you travel hotel and all meals, lunch being covered by what we eat on the workshop. I gave a rate of R2500 the other day and did not get the job because I was too expensive!! I have been in the business a long time. Surely my expertise counts. In most jobs you get a yearly rise. We are always cut down to the cost of a new trainer on the block!!

I would like to use this forum to also discuss the tendering norm if possible. I was asked to do the work as an accreditered provider for someone who got the original tender. A tender we did not get and I have since heard we were the lower price!! I am appalled at how much you end up getting paid for doing everything. The provider who is not accreditered gets the tender and pays you minimum for your accreditation and expertise. Do we not have industry norms. As part of this skills universe should we not all try to be part of a best practise agreement where we are fair!!

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Amanda,
    I have had similar experiences with payment. I like your idea of skills-universe members developing some good practice guidelines and also a matrix of facilitator rates – possibly based on qualifications & experience? I would suggest that an experienced facilitator, who can provide practical examples to illustrate the material should be at a higher rate.

Lisa Amanda Bradshaw said:

Hi Don

This is a very interesting topic because of the wide range of pricing out there!! I have facilitated SA Host workshops for theta and other training and we get paid R5000 a day. On some occassions this has meant a trip to Bloemfontein. Those in Bloemfontein got paid the same R5000 but obviously were in the right place for the debrief!!!

I do quite a lot of work for TEP which is Tourism Enterprise project. There the payment is anything from R3200 for the day for a basic cusstomer care course to R4500 for the day when dealing business skills, marketing and computer internet training. They also pay R2.80 per km for petrol and if you travel hotel and all meals, lunch being covered by what we eat on the workshop. I gave a rate of R2500 the other day and did not get the job because I was too expensive!! I have been in the business a long time. Surely my expertise counts. In most jobs you get a yearly rise. We are always cut down to the cost of a new trainer on the block!!

I would like to use this forum to also discuss the tendering norm if possible. I was asked to do the work as an accreditered provider for someone who got the original tender. A tender we did not get and I have since heard we were the lower price!! I am appalled at how much you end up getting paid for doing everything. The provider who is not accreditered gets the tender and pays you minimum for your accreditation and expertise. Do we not have industry norms. As part of this skills universe should we not all try to be part of a best practise agreement where we are fair!!

HI

Would this not constitute anti competitive behaviour?

Hennie

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Don
    Thanks for the toipic , I see these are more based on the private and business sectors .
    What will the rates be then in the mining sector?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media

One thought on “Fair pay for Facilitators, Assessors and Moderators

Comments are closed.