Extend the period of a learnership beyond 12 months

Front Page Looking For… The Learnership Group Extend the period of a learnership beyond 12 months

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 1 month ago.

• Author

Jacobus Burger
    Participant

Good day peers

Can someone inform me if there is a procedure to extend the time period for completing a Learnership. Is it limited to 1 year or until it is completed?

The reason I am asking is that here at Action we cater to blind and disabled learners. Most of which that have learning disabilities. It is very difficult to complete a 1 year course with a learner that take twice the time to achieve those skills transferred from the facilitator.

Is there a way or a accepted expiration date on a Learnership.

Regards

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Jacobus
    Thank you for posting this question. I will share it so that others can reply.

My experience is that although there is a completion date for the Learnership you may apply to the SETA for an extension.

Share on Social Media

Jacobus Burger
    Participant

Thank you.

We struggle to meet the set deadlines as some learners do take longer to understand some concepts.

I appreciate the feedback.

Do I speak with my SETA rep or do I need to contact someone specific?

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Jacobus,
      Yes, I understand about not meeting the 1 year. In my experience, it should be seen as an advisory time-frame, depending upon the circumstances – such as your environment.

I have a lot of experience in manufacturing, and I have often raised the point that the people setting these timeframes may be experts in theories of learning, but they do not take into account the workplace realities. In manufacturing, depending upon what your product is, there will be peak manufacturing times and slow times – like ice cream in summer, but it’s very slow in winter. So in the peak time – whatever it is, people working extra shifts and overtime are simply not able to proceed with the learning.

In reply to your question, all the SETAs are different, but usually there is a person in the SETA, who is the project manager of Learnerships – or specific Learnerships.

Share on Social Media

Jacobus Burger
    Participant

That does make sense.

We need to accommodate learners with a lower mental capacity. These are great people, so willing and motivated. But I cannot force them to work at an able persons speed. Even just the blind students, as all the material is printed. We need to use OCR software and screen readers to assist them. This all takes time.

As long as I can give my students a fair chance, Action4 will do whatever it takes to pass our students.

Thanks again.

Share on Social Media

Leon Pienaar
    Participant

Hi Jacobus,
    We had similar requests over the past three years for Learnerships registered with Services SETA and TETA. After contacting them with a request for extention, we were informed by both SETA’s that we do not need to ask for extentions, as Learnerships do run over 12 Months or longer. We did however submit a letter to them with reasons why we will not complete within 12 mobths. It was placed on record and there were no problems during the external moderation visits two years later. Regards.

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

Dear Jacobus,

Most SETAs do require the employer to make a formal extension request to them should the learnership run beyond the agreed time period. I recommend that you do this to be on the safe side.

However, it would be important to check what the Learnership contracts indicate in terms of this particular group you have. Most, if not all, SETAs have very specific guidelines and policies in regards to disabled learners and it would be a serious concern to SAQA and the DHET if the SETA did not take into account that these learners are disabled and make specific allowances for such.Either the Learnership contracts or SETA grant letter should indicate the nature of allowances made. Hope this assists.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Dear Kate,
    Thank you for that advice to Jacobus. You make a very good point – in addition to requiring the extension approval from the SETA, there is also the letter of appointment – the employment contract which should also be extended.
    sylvia

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media