DHET Launches Green Paper for Post-school Education & Training

Front Page Looking For… Post-school Education & Training – including TVET DHET Launches Green Paper for Post-school Education & Training

This topic contains 1 reply, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Ashwell Glasson 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

DHET_Green_Paper.pdf

In 2009, when the education department was split into two departments representing Basic and Higher Education, the scene was set for a vision of a comprehensive post-school education and training system.  This Green Paper opens the debate on exactly what that landscape should comprise.

The problems are well known – approximately 3 million adults between 18 and 24 who are not in education, training or work – known internationally as NEETS; variable quantity and quality of provision, high drop out and failure rates.

This week the tragic death at the University of Johannesburg of Gloria Sekwele – a mother concerned to obtain registration for her son at the institution highlighted again how deperate young people are to obtain  an education.

Minister Nzimande made it clear that the system should be able to service those who have been to school – successfully or not, and those who have never been to school.  Additionally, the system should allow articulation between studies and institutions.

The ultimate result must be to meet the needs of the economy, and to deal with the apartheid legacies of discrimination and exclusion.  

In addition to universities, FET colleges, and the Setas the Green Paper introduces Community Education and Training Centres (CETCs), an Institute for Vocational and Continuing Education & Training (SAIVCET), and envisages an expansion of distance education.

This group is created for a central discussion point when members have read the Green Paper and want to express their opinion or suggestions, and contribute to the debate.  This is not government policy – it is a discussion document.

Share on Social Media
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

I am somewhat puzzled as to Nzimande’s remarks about meeting the needs of the economy as well as deal with the apartheid legacies of discrimination and exclusion. This is particularly puzzling and disturbing that a so called educated leader in education has lost sight of the problem that is associated with higher education of 3 million adults between 18 and 24, whom, I must stress were not subject to apartheid legacies of discrimination and exclusion since this country became a so called democracy in 1994 thereby making these 3 million young adults too young to form part of the educational systems in schools or be exposed to discrimination or exclusion. Isn’t it about time that so called learned individuals realise and admit that the inadequacies of the youth in this country cannot be blamed on apartheid, but lies more in the culture of today’s youth. It is individuals like him, whom of which I feel are extremely dangerous in their zealousness, that have created a culture in the youth that of one’s entitlement of an education instead of something that is earned and paid for. Even under the apartheid regime, higher education was for the select few that could afford it and that obviously achieved excellence in schools to be accepted, there was no special dispensation that a university pass could be dropped down to the barest % just to allow the perceived disadvantaged student entry. Entry levels were set high irrespective of race or creed, so that if you did not make the grade you did not make the numbers. Is it not about time that so called educated individuals be honest in their assumptions and encourage education for those that warrant it or can handle it instead of blaming the inadequacies of certain youths’  and their entitlement ethos from entering higher educational institutions on apartheid and discrimination, that has now worn a bit thin.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Elfrieda, I don’t want to mislead you.  The words “discrimination” and “exclusion” were my words to describe the situation that Minister Nzimande was explaining as the problem.  That is that the life chances are still markedly different for the different groups, that the proportion of the black African population in higher education is still lower than of other groups.  He was not specifically blaming apartheid for the 3 million unemployed youth – it is a figure from a Ford Foundation research study commissioned by the department.  However, although he did not say this, it is clear from all news reports internationally, that youth have been disproportionately affected by the current economic climate – that is not a specific South African issue, it exists in the States, the middle east, Europe, and elsewhere. 

On the subject of access to education, he referred to the freedom charter which uses different wording to the Constitution, which gives a right basic education.  That does not specifically mention free education, but the Freedom Charter does give an expectation of bursaries for those deserving of the education but who cannot afford it.  I  believe that many countries have the expectation of their state to provide education for those of ability or potential who are not able to afford education.  That is simply the national objective to maximise their human resources potential.  Minister Nzimande mentioned a proposal that there should be a loan scheme for those who earn too much to qualify for NSFAS support for their children.  So he was not promising free education for all – although he did ruefully admit that he had previously suggested that.  

Share on Social Media

Ashwell Glasson
    Participant

Good morning Sylvia, I am working up an analysis on the Green Paper and will share it via this group and the Association of ODTEP Practitioners Group via Des as well.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thanks Ashwell.  In addition to the overall analysis, I believe that there is sufficient content for us to develop a number of articles/papers.  I look forward to your document.  Let’s see what we can work at and maybe publish here and in other media.  I am particularly interested in the minimal mention of RPL and would like to develop some discussion on that aspect.  I’m thinking that identifying “themes” within the document would be beneficial and developing focused debate around each theme. I look forward to your input – and I’m hoping that everyone reads the document over the weekend.

Share on Social Media

Thanks Sylvia for the clarity given, yet yesterday’s headlines in the Witness has thrown that further into the deep end, where again Nzimande advocates free university to the so called disadvantaged. With this in mind and the lowered standards of education in South Africa I feel can be identified as the problem of a lower application to university numbers than the basis stated ‘lack of affordability’ Having been involved in academia for many years, realise in most cases (though there are a few exceptions) students coming from what we now label the PDI’s do not and cannot make the grade. In addition to this, having had the advantage of an overseas and local private education, I can speak from experience, the level of education in South Africa has dropped to such a low level that Grade 12 is no longer a standard for students to aspire to, nor recognised in numerous countries overseas. This is where we need to ask the question, which members of the population has the poor standard of education been catered for, what about those members of the population that can make the higher grade, that in the present state achieve distinctions across all subjects yet are not accepted in the medical, accounting and legal fraternity in universities purely because of their race. There are some of us out there that refuse to walk around blindfolded. South Africa and its shortage of skills (which is peculiar to South Africa and its false perceptions that everyone needs a degree) is teetering on economic collapse not only due to the economic climate world wide, but mainly due to misconceptions of ignorant masses that skills in agriculture, maintenance, infrastructure, etc. are worthless. It is normal acceptable belief world wide that there is dignity in any job and that we need to do our very best in whatever we do not only for ourselves but for the community, as well as the economy!

sylvia hammond said:

Hi Elfrieda, I don’t want to mislead you.  The words “discrimination” and “exclusion” were my words to describe the situation that Minister Nzimande was explaining as the problem.  That is that the life chances are still markedly different for the different groups, that the proportion of the black African population in higher education is still lower than of other groups.  He was not specifically blaming apartheid for the 3 million unemployed youth – it is a figure from a Ford Foundation research study commissioned by the department.  However, although he did not say this, it is clear from all news reports internationally, that youth have been disproportionately affected by the current economic climate – that is not a specific South African issue, it exists in the States, the middle east, Europe, and elsewhere. 

On the subject of access to education, he referred to the freedom charter which uses different wording to the Constitution, which gives a right basic education.  That does not specifically mention free education, but the Freedom Charter does give an expectation of bursaries for those deserving of the education but who cannot afford it.  I  believe that many countries have the expectation of their state to provide education for those of ability or potential who are not able to afford education.  That is simply the national objective to maximise their human resources potential.  Minister Nzimande mentioned a proposal that there should be a loan scheme for those who earn too much to qualify for NSFAS support for their children.  So he was not promising free education for all – although he did ruefully admit that he had previously suggested that.  

Share on Social Media

Just downloaded the PDF and am going through it. Will definitely comment.

Share on Social Media

Just downloaded the PDF and am going through it. Will definitely comment.

Share on Social Media

I don’t believe blaming apartheid will solve the proble at hand. The most problem that we are facing is giving the politician power to chop and change things in the government. having said that, there is no connection between Thabo mbeki and Zuma governemnt, that is way we have green, yellow and bue paper which instigate more problems. if the goverment can leave the running of the department to civil servant it will be much better and they will be a plan and implimentation according to the green paper that has been drafted by the prevous regim.

Share on Social Media

Would it be appropriate for this group to send a submission with our comments and suggestions on the Green Paper?

Share on Social Media

My comment, having just started reading the paper, is merely pedantic semantics, but perhaps Freudian. Right there in the minister’s preface, on page viii, first sentence, second paragraph is the clearest indication of all about what’s happening to our country via the education system. The cat is now officially out of the bag, as seen from this quotation …. “The government of South Africa has resolved to make reducing employment its priority concern …”

Yes, yes, I know it’s really meant to read “… UNemployment …”, but isn’t it ironic that such a crucial statement can be trashed by so small an error. Isn’t it indicative of the lack of attention to detail that we experience every day in this field, committed mostly by those who should be providing the example. Shame on you, Min-austere.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

When I attended the HE Portfolio Committee meetings at the end of last year hearing about the changes to the SDA, the portfolio members complained about the mistakes in documents that they received.   When I read that mistake I also thought what an unfortunate mistake – but it’s surely not the Minister’s job to do the proof-reading.  

Share on Social Media

Anonymous

Does anyone have a ‘Green paper for Dummies’ version as I need to do something like that for my own organisation and do not necessarily want to reinvent the wheel?

Ashwell Glasson said:

Good morning Sylvia, I am working up an analysis on the Green Paper and will share it via this group and the Association of ODTEP Practitioners Group via Des as well.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Carin

I have been intending to develop just that but have some other deadlines to meet first – if you can wait until next week I’ll share it with you.

Share on Social Media

Ashwell Glasson
    Participant

Carin, I will have a document sorted by early next week to post and provide some guidance for the members.

My best, Ashwell

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media