Advertisement

By sylviahammond, 28 January, 2016

One of the advantages of skills-universe is that members daily send me questions. I am flattered that members believe I have so many answers. In reality I am often confused - as are many others who operate in the world of education and training.

Today, my question is: does Communique 1 exist - or doesn't it? My understanding is that the occupational training providers - known by the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO) as skills providers - need to be accredited by the QCTO, but not registered with Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET). That is what Communique 1 apparently says.

The key word I think is "occupational".  The QCTO is responsible for the development and quality assurance of occupational qualifications that are registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).  So if the provider is offering training towards an occupational qualification that is a QCTO issue.

However, if the provider is offering education at the equivalent of school levels, then that requires an Umalusi accreditation and a DHET registration.

Apparently there have been radio and TV presentations, which I didn't see or hear on this subject.  In addition, it seems that maybe not all officials at DHET are on the same page about Communique 1. Language may well be an issue - there is a difference between "accreditation" and "registration". Maybe we also need more clarification between "education" and "training" 

Will knowledgeable members please provide clarification on the status of Communique 1.  

Advertisement

Copyright: Portal Publishing (Pty)Ltd | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Skills Portal | Careers Portal | Jobs Portal | Bursaries Portal | Skills Universe
About us | Contact us
Portal PublishingPress Council