Changes on the new skills-universe site

Front Page Looking For… The Help Desk Changes on the new skills-universe site

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 1 year, 12 months ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Dear skills-universe members,
    The new site is now up and all information moved across. (If there is anything you need to access on the old site, contact us as we can still give you access.) The first challenge we had was speed of access – now resolved.

The first thing you need to do is to request a new password.
    Once you have done that and logged in you will see that you have a profile page like the old site. You can edit your details, and upload a new photo. Please make sure that your profile reflects your first and second name and that you have uploaded a personal photo of yourself.

Then you can invite other members to be friends. I have tested and that is working well.

We will have a reading room area for articles – that is also working.

Two current areas under construction – the Groups – each group is known as a “Forum”. In the discussion group forum we can add “Topics” and Topics have “Replies”.
    As the Looking for area has always been most active, we are re-constructing that area to make it more user-friendly and suitable for members’ search activities. We will keep you posted.

Thank you for your patience. As we test each area – we will send out further instructions. sylvia

Share on Social Media

Thokozani Absalom
    Participant

Sylvia, are we going to receive email updates from skills-universe again?

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

HI Thoko,
      You will be glad to know that we managed to obtain international developers to create a programme for us, so that I can now send out the kind of email notices that I used to send.
      So please look out for them.
      Regards sylvia

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Thokozani, thanks for your question.
    Yes, we will be sending out emails again – we are just dealing with some technical issues first, and as soon as we feel comfortable we will be sending out emails.

Currently, we are thinking about a newsletter format.

We welcome your questions – and ideas – and comments on any problems that you may have had accessing the new site.
    Thanks we appreciate your support.
    sylvia

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

Hi Sylvia. Thank you for all the hard work on the new look. I am however completely lost, and find this site very difficult to navigate.
    How does one keep up with current posts – do I need to go into each and every
    Group individually to check?

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Kate, thank you for your comments – that is exactly what we need.
      For each response to a question I can then post a new Helpdesk topic/discussion for others to follow.
      I will now create a new post to answer your question.
      We really welcome further comments.
      sylvia

Share on Social Media

Petra Penninkhoff
    Participant

Like Kate, I am completely lost. Navigation is quite difficult and sorry Sylvia, but you answer to Kete is not very clear, at least it does not help me finding my way around.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Petra,
      I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulties. I will do the best I can to improve the instructions.
      The good thing is you have found the Helpdesk group & posted this request – so we can talk to each other.
      I am meeting with Alan tomorrow morning so we will discuss the best way forward to help you.
      Regards sylvia

Share on Social Media

Petra Penninkhoff
    Participant

Hi Sylvia. Thanks for your mail.

The main issue I have is that there is too much going on, with loads of information at the same time.

I wish I could hide some things and only unhide them when I need them. For instance the panel on the left with groups and members that/who are or were active. Any way this list is easily found from the top menu bar : discussion groups and members. However it beats me why in the that bar it says Discussion groups, while in the list on the left in only says Groups.

I also find that combining the “I want to employ a freelance facilitator, assessor, etc” and “I want work as a freelance facilitator, assessor, etc” logs in confusing.
    Same applies to the “I want to find training material or help with accreditation” and “I can offer training material or help with accreditation”.

I do appreciate the work you are doing on the website but as far as I am concerned I have difficulties in seeing the improvements compared with the “old” one. I get the feeling that rather than fixing the problems that people had with that old version, you also tried to fix things that were not broken. Hence the confusion.

And by the way, I edited my profile yesterday but the info on what I do seems to have disappeared in cyberspace.

Lastly, it is my view that if a website needs instructions for the people who want to use it, it is not a very good website.

Sorry I am so critical, but maybe the issues that I mentioned above help to improve.

That’s all for now.

Kind regards.Petra

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Petra, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your time to tell us what you think. I have copied your message to Alan and Nathan to pick up.
      First you are correct about the Looking for section – we had a meeting today and it emerged that there has been a mis-understanding on how it works. So expect to have that sorted shortly – and thanks for the “heads-up” on the complaint.
      Secondly, we have decided that we are going to have a “landing page” with instructions – to help people who are having difficulty navigating.
      Thirdly we discussed the active members section – it is a long discussion but in summary we work on the basis that our site is not like anonymous sites where people don’t know who influence emotions. We are aiming for professional people who have a reputation and want to know who they are dealing with – to keep out those aiming to make a quick buck by whatever means.
      There does seem to be a delay before some elements become live.
      Please watch out for further changes. We really appreciate your input.
      Thanks sylvia

Share on Social Media

Petra Penninkhoff
    Participant

Hi Sylvia. Just checked my profile again and saw the information I added yesterday. So please ignore that part on my previous remark

Share on Social Media

Kate Sani
    Participant

Hi Sylvia, I have found a way to navigate the site. There is probably an easier way but I can’t work it out.
    I log in, then go onto the “HelpDesk” link.
    On the Top Left Hand Side of the HelpDesk page there is a link above the heading “Groups” titled “Home” >>> “Forums”>>> “HelpDesk”. Click on “Forums”. The current topics / discussions then appear down the centre of the page.

Thanks for your help.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Hi Kate,
      Thanks for the update – I have been thinking about you.
      You are right there is an easier way & I wonder what you are seeing when you log in.
      First point if you are the only one using the computer you don’t nned to log in and out – if you log in and just close the site when you leave you will still be logged in when you come back.
      Secondly you will appreciate that there is a multiple range of ways to access the site, via laptops, smart phones, etc, and different browsers chrome, firefox, etc, and so we cannot be sure what you are seeing.
      What might help you is that at our meeting today we decided to create a landing page so that when you come in you will see that page first with all the instructions on where to go. So please watch for that.
      But in the meantime, can you clarify for me – do you have a thin black line across the top – on the left you will have Dashboard and on the right your name & photo.
      Under that do you have a broad band with the skills-universe name and across the band Home, Looking for, Reading Room, Discussion Groups, Members?
      That will be the first point for us to explore how you move forward.
      Thanks for your time.
      Regards sylvia

Share on Social Media

Wilma de Villiers
    Participant

Good morning. For the past month I logged on to SKILLS UNIVERSE and after a while I quickly logged out. The new lay out is overwhelming for me. I think it is because I am under pressure and with the previous lay out I found it easy to access information. Today I’ve decided I will play around a bit longer …. but still find it challenging. I will have to wait for a holiday, then I will hopefully have more patience.

I am sure there are good reasons why the website was changed but I will still have to learn why. Good luck!

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

HI Wilma,
      I apologise for the inconvenience we have caused you, and I completely understand when you are under pressure and things are different, it slows everything down, and we are short of time, and one becomes very frustrated.
      I need to explain that we moved for very good reasons, and it has been a big expense for Portal Publishing – and as you know we don’t charge anything for skills-universe, so the other sites are covering for us.
      The Ning platform was becoming very unstable, the company was sold, and the service declined, remember all the errors we had & the service was poor – but the fees went up.
      Trust me I have also had a big learning curve with the new site – so I completely relate to the frustration.
      We then had to get international developers to create a programme so that I can send the email like a used to.
      But I can tell you that when you get used to it there is so much more you will be able to do.
      First, please click on the Helpdesk discussion group and join the group.
      Every group now has a Home page and a Forum page.
      Click on the Forum page & look for “Subscribe”. Click there to subscribe & you will be receiving the updates from that group. You need to click on each group that you join & subscribe in the same way.
      I am going to be doing more Helpdesk posts, so you can practice each small thing – one at a time – & in a short time each.
      Thank you for your patience & I will try to assist.
      Regards sylvia

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media