Certification of learners

Front Page Looking For… Training Service Providers Certification of learners

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Des Squire
    Participant

The article below was written in 2012 following some promises made by Dr Blade Nzimande. Can anyone advise what the current status is related to issuing of certificates???

THE Department of Higher Education and Training is planning to take over the issuing of certificates from the sector education and training authorities (Setas) to improve efficiency, minister Blade Nzimande said this week.

This follows criticism that the Setas were ineffective and has thousands of outstanding certificates that have not been issued, making it hard for qualified candidates to get employment.

In a reply to a parliamentary question, Mr Nzimande revealed that 8,580 learner certificates were outstanding and were at different stages of finalisation. Earlier this year, he criticised SETAs in Parliament, saying there was little to show for the R37.5bn given to them since 2000.

The Democratic Alliance (DA) said last month that it had received a number of requests for assistance from students and service providers who had not received certificates. This was keeping young people out of jobs, the party said.

Mr Nzimande said the Setas were managing different systems and processes that were affecting the finalisation of the certification. “In some instances private training providers are no longer in practice, which further complicates the situation.

“However, my department has amended the Skills Development Act (of) 1998 in order to make provision for a system that will ensure that the certification process is centralised and managed by the department such that the current situation is eliminated.”

Mr Nzimande said there were other reasons why the issuing of certificates had been delayed. Among others, he cited the Services Seta, which he said had experienced problems with its information technology (IT) learner data system as well as incomplete learner information from the private training providers.

“My department has placed the Seta under administration for underperformance and noncompliance with the requirements of the Skills Development Act (of) 1988,” he said.

“The administrator is currently reviewing the IT system and is also engaging all providers to collect outstanding information in order to ensure learners will be certificated by the end of September 2012.

“It is evident that there are inefficiencies created by private training providers in providing quality training and appropriate certification of the learners. My department is planning to eliminate similar occurrences by implementing the relevant amendments to the Skills Development Act,” Mr Nzimande said.

DA higher education and training spokeswoman Annelie Lotriet said on Tuesday that Mr Nzimande was trying to abdicate responsibility for the problem in issuing certificates by blaming the service providers.

“The fact that the department-run Setas choose the service providers and that 13 of the 21 Setas are involved highlights the inefficiencies of the department with regard to selecting these training providers,” she said. “The minister has had over six months to address the problem and must show leadership, not pass the buck.”

Ms Lotriet said she would write to higher education portfolio committee chairman Ishmael Malale to request that Mr Nzimande be called to Parliament to outline his plans to address the problem of certificate issuing and that of underperforming SETA and service providers.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Thank you Des for raising a very interesting question. Now I believe we have Ms September chairing the Portfolio Committee and Minister Pandor leading Higher Education and Training.

So we would be very interested to hear from anyone, who is in a position to advise us.

Share on Social Media

Simphiwe Mdikane
    Participant

Very interesting indeed. But remember Sylvia, we stand a good chance of losing Minister Pandor in these upcoming elections, Dr Nzimande is anti-private provider. This might take some time to resolve. We will only hear after the elections.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
      Keymaster

Dear Simphiwe
      I know that you are correct but I have so much respect for Minister Pandor I will be devastated to lose her.

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media