Budget key points – Department of Higher Education & Training (DHET)

Front Page Looking For… Post-school Education & Training – including TVET Budget key points – Department of Higher Education & Training (DHET)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia hammond 2 months ago.

• Author

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

On Friday 12th July 2019 – Minister Nzimande presented the department budget and way forward. The following are some of the highlights to watch out for in future.

First, watch out for the new acronym – the National Plan for Post-School Education and Training (NPPSET) has been completed, and will soon be released to give practical planning effect to the policy goals and objectives of the post-school system.

Remember the White paper for Post-School Education and Training (PSET) in 2016, that set out a comprehensive picture for post-school education up to 2030. Apparently, the NPPSET is offering integration and articulation – so we will be interested to read that section.

(By the way I have agreed with Maryna our local ASDSA board member that I will collate and post an acronym list in our Downloads section.)

Secondly, the Minister referred to the national spatial development strategy announced by President Ramaphosa – covering 44 District Municipalities and eight metros of the country.

This is the quote from the SANews.gov newsletter:
    “We aim to ensure that within the next 10 years there is no district municipality that will not have access to a post school training institution. This, in my view, would be a major development in the struggle to overcome the spatial legacies of under-development inherited from the apartheid and colonial system.”

Thirdly, the Task Team on the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4th IR), established by Minister Pandor, will provide advice to the PSET system. The department is already developing a Skills Master Plan on the known 4th IR skills demands, associated with the 4th IR, and this will go with a national list of Occupations in High Demand (OIHD). and the Critical Skills List (CSL).

Information from the SANews.gov new report.

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

I just wish for once they would see through some of the plans already in place and not continue to introduce new plans. Nothing ever seems to materialise and be brought to conclusion.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

A report by the Organisation for Economic and Cultural Development (OECD), demonstrates very clearly to us exactly how big our challenge is – and how important it is for us to make progress on implementation.

See this link:
    OECD Report

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media