Are you aware of our e-Skills development strategy & e-Skills Institute?

Front Page Looking For… Education, ECD, Post-school Education & Training Are you aware of our e-Skills development strategy & e-Skills Institute?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

At the end of last year, I became aware of the e-Skills Institute, which apparently falls under the Department of Communications.  The documents that I was given indicate that it is a “multi-stakeholder collaboration”.  The concept is collaboration between business, government, and universities to establish “e-Skills Knowledge Production Hubs” in individual communities.  

The universities involved are: UPE,DUT,WSU,VUT, and UWC.  

The primary areas of intervention are:

•    eSI knowledge triangle involving research and evaluation, teaching and training, and innovation solutions,
    • social sector providing access to technology and supporting managers of community internet access facilities,
    • rural development –  using ICT for various activities including SME income generation activities and climate forecasting,
    • public sector – enabling government e-access,
    • education sector – capacitating FET colleges with ICT skills programme, multimedia training and “capacitating FET colleges to offer recognised and accredited industry related qualifications, as well as increase the capacity of educators/lecturers”,
    • private sector – unemployed graduates to be training in business analytical skills (insurance industry), e-entrepreneurship, 
    • free and open source software
    • innovation application factories – promoting access to current technology, such as tablets and smartphones through 3 “Innovation application factories” which will be attached to the provincial e-Skills Knowledge Production and Coordination Hubs, and
    • national research network for e-Skills. This last point includes the point: “create a network of researchers across the higher education sector, the private sector, government, civil society and other role players to provide the research based essential intelligence required for e-skilling South Africa”.

There is also a comprehensive document – the “National e-Skills Plan of Action – e-Skilling the Nation for Equitable Prosperity and Global Competitiveness” dated October 2010.

As all of these points and this initiative in general would appear to be of interest and importance for all skills-universe members, I was personally surprised that I was not aware of the e-Skills Institute and also that we had not had any discussions about it on the skills-universe, so I would be very interested in members’ contributions on e-Skills – are you involved and what can you tell us about what is happening?

The e-Skills Institute [email protected] – 012 427 8064

Share on Social Media
    Tass Schwab
    Participant

Golly – this one has been flying under the radar…am going to investigate right away!

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

This is totally new to me.  I would like more info on this, as we are having a SDF Meeting with all universities soon.  I wonder why these initiatives are not more broadly advertised?  Thanks for making us aware of this, Sylvia.  Hope we will get some input from those that are involved in this.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

This is totally new to me.  I would like more info on this, as we are having a SDF Meeting with all universities soon.  I wonder why these initiatives are not more broadly advertised?  Thanks for making us aware of this, Sylvia.  Hope we will get some input from those that are involved in this.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share on Social Media

One thought on “Are you aware of our e-Skills development strategy & e-Skills Institute?

• Andrea Mammes

I have always said Mamphele Ramphele for president!! If only the powers that be will listen to this brilliant albeit lone voice in the desert, we could really attain that greatness.

Comments are closed.