Abuse of Freelance Facilitators and Assessor

Front Page Looking For… Independent Consultants Abuse of Freelance Facilitators and Assessor

This topic contains 1 reply, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Cotter, PhD 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Rufaz M Mavhure
    Participant

Many times Training Providers advertise work as a way to get CVS and Accreditation documents so that they use for either registrations or negotiating tenders. Very few have the professional mouth to tell that “I want documents for accreditation purposes”. ItS a moral call for those in training to be profesional;transparent and faithful to each other. If SETAs could publish so called “Our Assessors or Facilitators” some freelancers would be appearing on more than 100 providers lists but never get a day  any assignments.

Its common knowledge that Zimbabwean consititute a higher number of facilitators who can accept any rand. A Zim with a degree or a masters should for sure get a better daily rate but they are on some ” Anything so long life”. How does one feel when he/she train/facilitate a course with Directors or Senior Managers but get R1000 per day or R1200. Sounds intellectual slavery in our lifetime.

Reading through some Company profile you see 100% lies.What is said is opposite whats on the ground. I know there are VERY GOOD PROVIDERS OUT THERE but the space is now flooded by briefcase guys whose quest is quick bucks at the expense of real national skills training and developments.

If you in this game you know what am sayin. In soccer a former player is a respected coach and so in training a training providers who display top of range world class implementation of what we train. You training about moral and motivation but your own staff are not motivated? ### JUSTSAYING

Share on Social Media

Sad but true

Share on Social Media

For a lot of providers this is a money-making scheme. Pity there is no body to oversee this aspect of skills provision, delivery, moderation and ensures that professional standards are maintained. It’s a free for all! The next thing is that government will step in with regulation and no one will like that.

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

This a sad fact I have had many approach me  – The minute you ask me for my documents I am already suspicious – I charge a very high rate for the documents – I DO NOT RELEASE THEM UNTIL YOU PAY THAT FEE – do the same…At the same time if a provider cannot pay for facilitation then they should not be in business – Scrutinize the request carefully….

Share on Social Media

True, Graeme. I have lost out on a lot of potential contracts because I have refused to compromise. I suppose this is one of the ways our profession is undermined. Those that want to maintain professionalism will eventually leave the field and operate elsewhere.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

I’ve been watching this discussion with interest.

Now why don’t all the independent facilitators, assessors, moderators, verifiers, SDFs, and any else involved in skills development that I may have forgotten – approach Gill Connellan the CEO of ASDSA to become members.  That way you can develop the profession and your own status. 

Share on Social Media

Charles Cotter, PhD
    Participant

Marufu, you have succinctly captured the degree of exploitation of independent trainers in the S.A training industry. Please check out the Southern Africa Professional Trainers Association (SAPTA) website http://www.saptaonline.org We seek to protect the interests of our members and counteract this form of exploitation by, for instance, blacklisting unscrupulous and/or unethical training providers. You will also find SAPTA on LinkedIn and Facebook. You are welcome to connect with me to discuss this matter further.   

Share on Social Media

Charles Cotter, PhD
    Participant

Themba, leaving this profession is not an option for me – I’ve invested too much time, energy and effort. There are more constructive alternatives like the collective strength offered by SAPTA. 

Share on Social Media

Thanks Charles. I will check the site.

Share on Social Media

Will check the ASDSA, Sylvia.

Share on Social Media

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Themba,

Gill Connellan is also a member here so you can invite both Charles and Gill as friends and communicate via the Inbox – “send a message” link.

Share on Social Media

Charles Cotter, PhD
    Participant

Thanks for being a communications facilitator/conduit, Sylvia – much appreciated. 

Share on Social Media

The ASDSA today launched it’s Professional Body & Designations awards programme. As one of the industry’s Professional Bodies I am sure the ASDSA would be open to approaches to assist with this dilemma. One top-of-the-head option would be for the ASDSA to act as a repository of the relevant documents on behalf of it’s members, and without passing on any documents and for an administrative fee, confirm the various registrations of individuals if authorised to do so. Anyway, definitely food for thought.

There certainly are many ethical providers out there, and also many good industry bodies and associations. Questions you may want to explore would be: which ones are Professional Bodies and which can offer me Professional Designations and CPD?

Share on Social Media

Des Squire
    Participant

Just respond by asking the question – is this required for accreditation purposes? Amazing how none will reply.

Share on Social Media

Thando Majola
    Participant

That question works like a charm Des, you never hear from them again

Share on Social Media

You are right Rufaz, l recently got involved in a similar circumstance where the Provider asked me to pay half of my rent yet within the contractual agreement, nothing was mentioned towards that. The main challenge lies particularly with these SETA’S. BBBEE promotes Black empowerment particularly women…they corruptibly award a tender to a company that has been around for a long time but has no clue on training. So their goal is not to fulfil the mandate of the Higher education or Skills development. but rather to make a quick buck, buy expensive cars and move on. They don’t care about you. 

I recently discovered that some of the learners on other training sites for that company didn’t even have PPE yet they were expected to use it during workplace. And when you ask, they tell you “l hired you to train not for compliance”.

Its a pity how this sector is being hovered by unscrupulous hooligans. 

Share on Social Media

Graeme Lategan
    Participant

For the past year I have advertised regularly to all assessors and Moderators that they need to come on board to form a specific body which controls just that – regulation of costs for accreditation – where a service provider requires documents for their application purposes – until we do this -many posts of this nature will come up -Here is a shocker for all – if you require my docs for a single unit standard – 1500 – for a single qualification – 3000 – for full scope in a specific seta – 10000 – for full scope of all my seta docs – 25000 – I have a success rate of ABOUT 40% – So lets stand together – remember what it cost you to achieve constituent status – you are sure to change your attitude.

Share on Social Media

Charles Cotter, PhD
    Participant

My previous posts on this discussion thread, refers.

SAPTA http://www.saptaonline.org has recently appointed an Advocate to head up it’s Training Events Company (TEC) Regulation Committee. The purpose and function of this committee to oversee and regulate the fair and equitable payment of facilitators (both rates and terms of payment); eradicate abuse and exploitation of trainers (inclusive of a red-flagging and risk profiling) and to forge partnerships and mutually beneficial relationships with TEC’s, who are the pivotal in the training industry.

One of the benefits of becoming a SAPTA Associate Member and subsequent, Certified Professional Trainer (CPT), is the entitlement to this custodial protection. Please contact Bryan Sibanda 012 000 0544 and/or hello@saptaonline.org for membership details.     

Share on Social Media

Thank you Charles. We appreciate such dedication, commitment and advocacy

Share on Social Media

Charles Cotter, PhD
    Participant

Pleasure, Xavier. SAPTA values your interest and support. 

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media