A Radio show targetted at all Providers, Assessors, Moderators and SDF’s.

Front Page Looking For… Skills Development Facilitators A Radio show targetted at all Providers, Assessors, Moderators and SDF’s.

This topic contains 34 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Skills Universe 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Ivor Blumenthal
    Participant

We will be hosting an hourly “Education and Work” radio show from this Tuesday from 3 to 4 pm on 101.9 FM (also DSTV Streaming) for Training Providers, Assessors and Moderators and SDF’s.

The content, including the phone-in’s will be packaged and are intended to be syndicated to community radio stations in each Province from October.

I welcome and encourage you to phone in on the issues so that together we can build an interactive and involved community. Each month two of the sessions will be devoted to Career Guidance issues per Industry we are involved with within our scope at the Services SETA.

I will obviously take our guide on content from issues discussed on the Skills-Universe and look forward to suggestions as to topics and guests to be interviewed from you directly.

The phone-in number is 0861242436

This Tuesday we will be covering the issue of ISOE’s as it applies in various SETA’s in-terms of our NSDS II targets and the difference between Company, Industry, Provincial and National ISOE models. We want to look at how specifically Providers can benefit from being associated with an ISOE’s. I also want to profile this website and all of the opportunities presented to those who subscribe. I think that you are doing a wonderful job and want your successes highlighted.

In future shows we will be looking at issues such as ESDA’s and Group Training Organisations comparing the SA model to that of Australia’s. We want to focus on SDF training and CPD activities and so many other issues directly relevant to what you do. As far as Assessors and Moderators are concerned we have a special show planned to discuss your relevance to Industry and plan to cover the Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors in that show.

Share on Social Media

Great news.
    Hope in future the time will be extended to 5pm to cover most people driving home. Im officially the number listerner and participator.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Wow, I cant wait for tomorrow.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Dear Ivor,

Thank you, this is great – I will definately be listening!

Share on Social Media

Way to go Ivor

Share on Social Media

This is a wonderful innovation and speaks alot about creativity in the Human being.
    Looking forward to the topics and hopefully come through to the studio.

Percy J Manuel

Share on Social Media

Mariska Freitag
    Participant

This is great, I’ll be sure to be tuned in and stay tuned in. I hope this message gets to those who needs to hear it!

Share on Social Media

Fanie Agenbach
    Participant

Thank you Ivor. This is a good idea. Will do my best to listen tomorrow. (will be doing training during that slot)

Share on Social Media

Great undertaking.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Thanks, great idea. My advice to those who will still be at their offices during that time is to bring along their cellphones headphones, so as to listen without disturbing others. Otherwise the will never be time to suit us all.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Thanks, great idea. My advice to those who will still be at their offices during that time is to bring along their cellphones headphones, so as to listen without disturbing others. Otherwise the will never be time to suit us all.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Excellent idea Ivor, I’ll certainly will be listening.

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Brilliant idea but can anyone from any province be able to catch 101FM?

Share on Social Media

Hi Ivor

Great news. I have just completed a Ph.D. in leadership education at work, so please do feel free to let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Regards

Dr. Morne Mostert
    morne@leadershipoptions.co.za

Share on Social Media

Linda Ingram
    Participant

Whilst I’m in favour of this initiative I’d like to ask why it’s being hosted on Chai FM that broadcasts to predominantly one group of South Africans (i.e. Jewish Poloupaltion)? Were any of the other radio stations asked if they would like to participate so that more listeners could be reached?

Share on Social Media

Great initiative, Ivor. Is reception to this radio station available nationwide? Am in KZN. It would be a pity to broadcast to only a small listenership about issues that concern people nationwide.

Share on Social Media

Ivor Blumenthal
    Participant

Its a start. It is intended for the show to be syndicated nationally in every province on as many community radio stations that we can get to agree to host the show. The idea is to package all of the interviews and then allow for questions and answers in as many languages with local hosts as is possible.

Linda Ingram said:

Whilst I’m in favour of this initiative I’d like to ask why it’s being hosted on Chai FM that broadcasts to predominantly one group of South Africans (i.e. Jewish Poloupaltion)? Were any of the other radio stations asked if they would like to participate so that more listeners could be reached?
    Share on Social Media

Ivor Blumenthal
    Participant

Reception is available via streaming nationwide. We needed as a SETYA to weigh up the issue of budget and cost against reach. It is in the model for syndication that we hope to get to every Province with the content pre-packaged. Our primary reason for hosting the show is career guidance and induction in all manner of ways into the various Industries which we cover in our scope.

Nompumelelo Promise Gumede said:

Great initiative, Ivor. Is reception to this radio station available nationwide? Am in KZN. It would be a pity to broadcast to only a small listenership about issues that concern people nationwide.
    Share on Social Media

Ivor Blumenthal
    Participant

The point is that any community radio station has a limited target audience. We have worked with a number over the last 10 years including a group of 21 stations to-which we broadcast as a network and also 1485. It doesn’t matter which one we work with as long as we have a good price and a time slot which is reasonable and affordable. The secret is to market and advertise the show and not the station to ensure that a focused strategy attracts the audience over time that is sought. In this regard our media partner is “The Workplace” where issues raised on radio will be summarised and also where jobs and industry issues dealt with will be highlighted. Yes Linda, I am Jewish and yes I am using every opportunity available to highlight issues to my constituency in the Services SETA. I apologise for the fact that we chose a convenient and cost-efficient option which irritates your religious sensibilities but can assure you that it is a show about our business and not the business of religion although there are a number of religious stations which the Services SETA will also be appearing on including radio veritas and Muslim stations in every Province which will have us on. This initiative is one we have designed in the SSETA to get to our SDF’s, Trainers, Assessors etc. in the most cost-effective manner possible. I suggest that if the idea of a Jewish radio station is so abhorent to you that you needn’t listen and can easily set up your own independant initiative in this regard.

Linda Ingram said:

Share on Social Media

Ivor Blumenthal
    Participant

Fanie, we have tried a few slots including Sundays. There are two issues we have had to consider the one being cost and the second the fact that there is always a group of listeners who will be inconvenienced. There is a slot from 9 to 10 in the evening which we have also been offered and will probably try at some stage. This slot however was available and we wanted to start the process.

Fanie Agenbach said:

Thank you Ivor. This is a good idea. Will do my best to listen tomorrow. (will be doing training during that slot)
    Share on Social Media

Gill Connellan
    Participant

I strongly recommend that all practitioners participate in these radio sessions. I believe that this initiative can add huge value to the communication and general awareness of the work the SETAs are doing and still need to do. There is a growing awareness also that we need to bring a new way of thinking about skills development. We are becoming more and more aware that we need to be start skills development at a schooling level. Discussions that I have recently had with a group of senior practitioners further evolved that discussion and we ended by agreeing that not only do we need to be teaching thinking skills from a very early age in schools, but we have a duty to the many thousands of parents who were not given the benefit of decent schooling.

The Services SETA will reach a wide audience with the radio programmes and I really want to urge that the parents of school children, college and university students and the rest of us, make an effort to get involved in these radio programmes to build the communication and awareness process.

Share on Social Media

Ashwell Glasson
    Participant

Dear Ivor,

Well done on taking the awareness of skills into the mainstream media. I think that this is an awesome opportunity for the skills development domain to enter the broader society debates. Ivor I just wanted to enquire whether Services SETA and yourself would consider doing allot more social media initiatives in communicating news, plus training, Services SETA updates, etc via online freely available media like YouTube and so on? The major costs would be in the filming and basic production side of the short clips. The YouTube clips can be easily syndicated across different websites through users carrying the message, content and awareness even further. This social media forum is a great example of that. Services plus otehr institutions have a huge range of internal expertise and resources and it would be great to see these put out there. There is also a really strong cost containment and saving mechanism to it as well. Topics could include guidelines on the same old issues like skills levies through to learnership implementation and accreditation. It would put a new spin on the services provided by Services Seta. Just a thought for you. Well done on the initiative and Good Luck with the shows.

Share on Social Media

I am in Cape Town and cannot tune in to this – any other Capetonians managed to receive the programme?

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

I absolutely agree with Poppy, we need to make use of those earphones otherwise one will miss out on this initiative which promises to be informative and empowering. This is a wonderful initiative indeed!!

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

I absolutely agree with Poppy, we need to make use of those earphones otherwise one will miss out on this initiative which promises to be informative and empowering. This is a wonderful initiative indeed!!

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Share on Social Media

I have only joined the panel this afternoon, and missed the first intervention. Will some of it be available for us to go and browse through and see what was discussed? This is invaluable and is going to create a uniform platform for all of us to speak from. Great work

Share on Social Media

Another good initiative. For the out-of-towners and those that just missed listening in, is there any way of accessing programmes that have already been and gone? Off the website, or on CD, or via the radio station?

I would suggest that the programme on Assessors/Moderators includes covering their potential (non)-role ito the QCTO.

Share on Social Media

Ivor Blumenthal
    Participant

Hi Steven, we are currently planning a full years programming which will commence for real from 22 September. All previous shows will be available as cd’s on request and eventually (by December) be loaded onto our site for download (not streaming until next year because of bandwidth limitations).

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media