#‎SETAsMUSTFALL‬

Front Page Looking For… Independent Consultants #‎SETAsMUSTFALL‬

This topic contains 1 reply, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ken Annandale 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Ken Annandale
    Participant

Why make things difficult when they should be simple? With our massive unemployment rate [another 800000 matriculants entering the market at the end of this year], a massive lack of skilled workers and disastrous productivity rate, SETAs [and the convoluted 1st world system surrounding them] are throttling the only chance we have of fast-tracking the training of our citizens. Skilled people can skill people without the inordinate beaurocrasy surround “Accreditation, Facilitation, Assessoration and Moderation”. Like the sacking of our Minister of Finance last night, the unsustainable existence of the SETAs has been a mystery to me. Skilled people should be encouraged to upskill people. SETAs are a pipedream at a time when the pipes have been shattered by corruption, convolution and confabulation. #SETAsMUSTFALL.

Share on Social Media

Jared Shippel
    Participant

I hear what you are saying Ken and would like to reserve all my comments until I can fully understand what you are proposing as an alternative. would you be so kind as to do so. Thanks.

Share on Social Media

David Jooste
    Participant

Thank you for the post Ken, I do agree that I don’t see the role and function of the SETA’s given that service levels with them is so poor that what ever the intend, the reality is something completely different – but at the same time need to question what is the alternative? Looking at the proposal by the Minister I don’t know what is scarier keeping the SETA’s or giving the Minister complete control over the skills levy’s – either way the broader public and business entity’s especially SME’s are the biggest losers whichever way this transformation as proposed is implemented or for that matter being retained.

Share on Social Media

Ken Annandale
    Participant

Hi Jared.

There was a time that a skilled trainer could establish a training company and sell their competencies based purely on merit.

Over-regulation and control has denuded the country of experienced contributor who have sought other entrepreneurial ventures.

The intended philosophy behind SAQA, NQF and the SETAs may work in an established market like Australia, but appears to be failing the very people it was intended to help.

De-regulation, balanced by legislation such as the CPA, should reintroduce a competitive approach to the training and development of employees.

Share on Social Media

Michael Mohahabe
    Participant

Hi Ken

your bad experience with the SETA does not mean the SETA’s are bad at all. there are only few SETA’s that malfunctioned and that does not mean all SETA should be painted with the same brush. your comment is unfortunately misguided.

if you skill people without following due established quality assurance measures, as you suggest, you will perpetuate a cycle of cheap labour because all those skilled through your methodology will not have a proof of such acquired skill and therefore will not have a portable skill, will remain semi skilled employees and will therefore strengthen the labour unions and the labour strikes will be the order of the day. the philosophy of SAQA, NQF and QCTO is to ensure that problematic ideas like yours don’t even get considered

the current gazette issued by DHET has few serious implications:

1. the DHET intends to make the seta’s the advisory boards, and these advisory boards will be funded by NSF if their advice is approved, this move then makes the NSF the SUPER SETA, it will take the function of all SETAs and the question is whether does the NSF have the institutional memory to carry out this task.

2. the suggestion of putting the workers money under the direct authority of the DHET DG is problematic and very risky because it will end up using the money for what it was not initially intended for. this move is not only illegal but it will be inconsistent with the recent court order against the recent grant regulations

RSA cant have the ideal absorption of graduates/youth by businesses when the economy is weak, this weak economy is not the problem of the SETA’s – If employers doesn’t absorb the matriculants/graduates it is entirely not the problem of the SETA’s. #SETAsMUSTBESTRENGTHENED.

Share on Social Media

Ken Annandale
    Participant

Thanks for your comment.

SETAs are a hinderance to entrepreneurship and free enterprise.

Abidale. you speak of proof of skills. I am not sure of the world you live in, but when schools in Khayelitsha send learners into the market with “certification” who can’t read, write or speak English, then we need another system. It should not be industry’s responsibility to teach them elementary educational skills. This is the government’s responsibility. By freeing service providers to get on with filling the gaps, we could make some progress. After more than 20 years of Industry Training Boards, SETAs and incessant postulating we are worse off. #‎SETAsMUSTFALL‬

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media