All skills-universe members will be aware of the disastrous situation in Mozambique, Malawi, and Zimbabwe following the IDAI cyclone. It is always difficult to know what exactly to do in these situations.
I have received an email forwarded to me from Hélda Mandlate with the following information, which I have edited.
The Mozambican consulate in Cape Town is currently collecting all types of donations, including non perishable foods, blankets, sanitary pads, warm clothes, etc, to help the community in Beira. All contribution is valid and very much appreciated. We have already begun collecting but unfortunately isn’t enough. Together we can help the Idai survivers, and let them know they haven’t been forgotten.
You can take it straight to the consulate at Long Street, 1 Thibault Square, 3rd Floor.
See information below regarding donation sites/options.
Here is a detailed list of what you can donate
1. Non perishable food (maize, rice, oil, sugar, beans, etc)
2. Products used to treat water
3. Bedding, blankets, tents, mosquito nets
4. Hygiene products (toothpaste, soap, sanitary pads, diapers, toilet paper, etc)
5. Domestic kitchen tools (pots, cups, plates, cutlery, etc)
6. Clothes, shoes, jackets
7. School material (pens, pencils, notebooks, ruler, etc)
For more information regarding donation sites/options.
Hadithi ya Afrika
6279 164 7103
Please click on this link for Gauteng collection points: