2 South Africans hurt in Boston blasts


Johannesburg – Two South African athletes were injured in the Boston Marathon blasts in the United States, it was reported on Tuesday.

“So far, we’ve been alerted to two South Africans that have been injured. Our information is that they are being treated and we are offering consular service to them,” international relations and co-operation department spokesperson Clayson Monyela told SABC radio news.

Twenty-eight South Africans registered for the race.

Volksblad meanwhile reported that SA Olympic athlete René Kalmer said she was safe after the explosions.

“We are safe after the explosions at the finish line,” Kalmer said on Facebook on Monday afternoon.

Kalmer was having lunch after her race in the Boston marathon when she heard the explosions outside, she said in an interview on Tuesday morning.

“It’s really very emotional…it feels like we are in a movie, except that it is reality,” Kalmer said.

“We were sitting…. We were busy having lunch and we just heard the explosions going off and we weren’t really sure what has happened, and then next thing the volunteers ran into the dining hall and just asked all the elite athletes to go upstairs to the hospitality room to make sure everyone is okay.

“I just feel sorry for the volunteers. They know a lot of people, so they are pretty rattled because a lot of their family and friends [were] outside,” Kalmer said in the interview, which was posted on the eNCA website. She finished the race in a time of 2:37:15.

At least three people were killed and more than 100 were injured in twin explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, while the race was in progress.

Article Source: News24.com

Share on Social Media

Leave a comment