Former president Nelson Mandela’s hospitalisation has left many of his associates in the dark, it was reported on Sunday.
The Presidency confirmed in a statement that the 94-year-old was admitted to 1 Military Hospital in Thabatshwane, Pretoria, after being brought from his Transkei retirement home for tests, adding, however, that there was “no cause for alarm”.
Key people unaware
Nelson Mandela Foundation spokesman Sello Hatang told City Press he was unaware of Mandela’s admission to a hospital in Pretoria for tests on Saturday. “They have issued a press release?” he asked.
Mandela’s ex-wife, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, was also not made aware of the hospitalisation, United Democratic Movement leader Bantu Holomisa told the newspaper. They had attended a soccer match together.
Motlante due to visit
Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe was to have visited Mandela in Qunu, in the Eastern Cape, but the visit was cancelled at the last minute.
“City Press further understands that the airplane that was supposed to carry Motlanthe to Qunu was reassigned to fly medical personnel to attend to Mandela,” the newspaper wrote.
An SA National Defence Force (SANDF) aircraft crashed in the Drakensberg in bad weather last week.
Medicines for Mandela?
According to Beeld newspaper, the flight had gone ahead despite the weather, because it was carrying medicine for Mandela.
The SA Air Force has denied the claims.
The presidency said on Sunday it would issue periodic updates on Mandela’s condition.