Copied this from somewhere recently – thought it might be of interest
The Two Most Important Keys to Effective Leadership
A Hay’s study examined over 75 key components of employee satisfaction. They found that:
- Trust and confidence in top leadership was the single most reliable predictor of employee satisfaction in an organization.
- Effective communication by leadership in three critical areas was the key to winning organizational trust and confidence:
- Helping employees understand the company’s overall business strategy.
- Helping employees understand how they contribute to achieving key business objectives.
- Sharing information with employees on both how the company is doing and how an employee’s own division is doing – relative to strategic business objectives.
So in a nutshell — you must be trustworthy and you have to be able to communicate a vision of where the organization needs to go. The next section, “Principles of Leadership”, ties in closely with this key concept.