The “Candidate Attorney’s” learnership allows for attendance at a School for Legal Practice (ten centres) and service as a candidate attorney.
The distance school (with only 30 days attendance)
and the ‘night’ school present the candidate attorney who cannot be out of the office for six
months, with an exciting option.
Funding has been made available to L.E.A.D (the Legal Education and Development division of
the Law Society of South Africa) to provide the following assistance to candidate attorneys and
law firms in 2010:
– Sponsoring of the tuition fee of the School (R8 700.00)
-An allowance of R3 300.00 per month to the candidate attorney while attending the School and while serving articles of clerkship.
The firm may claim a tax rebate to a maximum amount of R25 000.00
– Preference will be given to graduates from historically disadvantaged background.
– An employment and a learnership contract with a principal’s firm must be concluded before commencement of the School.
– Attendance of a day programme of the School during the first or second six months of 2010
must precede service of articles.
– Attendance of a night programme and participation in the distance programme of the
School may take place simultaneously with the service of articles.
– The focus will be on assisting unemployed graduates to access articleship.
Firms can obtain information from grantsinfo@LSSALEAD.org.za