The QCTO re-invents the wheel

Home Forums Seeking Accreditation or Training material The QCTO re-invents the wheel

This topic contains 80 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Skills Universe Skills Universe 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

I have recently embarked on the laborious process of redesigning a curriculum according to the specifications of the QCTO. Mind-numbing to say the least. 

Basically it’s a rehashing of what we already have except that the active voice must be used rather than the passive voice as in the “SAQA” format. and it is excessively repetitive in that for every little segment one has to say what the tuition provider specs are rather than saying it once for the whole qualification. It’s not rocket science although it would seem so the the uninitiated. New terminology that one has to get to grips with are things like

• Occupational pathway
    • Occupational purpose
    • Occupational tasks
    • Occupational responsibilities

Oh well!

Jacqui

Profile photo of Hannes Nel
    Hannes Nel

It is probably good mental exercise to write a curriculum in the new format, Jacqui, but it is worthless unless you have been approved by the QCTO as a Development Quality Partner and used the services of a Qualifications Development Facilitator also approved by the QCTO (she or he will cost you a bundle). In addition, nobody can write a curriculum without consulting members of a working group who should all have some interest in the qualification (scoping, you see). I have an idea that you probably know this, but others might get the wrong impression if we don’t point the structure out. Regards, Dr Hannes Nel, MD Mentornet  

Profile photo of Skills Universe
    Skills Universe
    Keymaster

it can be fun, but getting the comunity of expert practices (CEP) together can be tricky. the new development process does require you to have some project management skills to implement.

i started in 2009 with developing these qualifications, and finally am able to get the qualifications registered. The QCTO has finally (he said hopefully) settled on the templates and criteria for registration and will not be changing it (again).

but yes it can be costly, and time consuming. but i have done 21 qualifications and piloted 1 to completion. it also requires a new implementation methodology.

anybody embarking on this process can contact me if you want to know about my experiences, highlights and low lights.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

it can be fun, but getting the comunity of expert practices (CEP) together can be tricky. the new development process does require you to have some project management skills to implement.

i started in 2009 with developing these qualifications, and finally am able to get the qualifications registered. The QCTO has finally (he said hopefully) settled on the templates and criteria for registration and will not be changing it (again).

but yes it can be costly, and time consuming. but i have done 21 qualifications and piloted 1 to completion. it also requires a new implementation methodology.

anybody embarking on this process can contact me if you want to know about my experiences, highlights and low lights.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Profile photo of sylvia hammond
    sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Lenny, now I’m interested in this – my understanding from years ago attending an Assessor programme was that one didn’t take into account anything more than 3 years old – on the basis that knowledge and technology had moved on and that it wouldn’t be relevant.
    This is not a personal criticism of you, but if it’s taken from 2009, on that basis everything you’ve done is out of date – unless you kept updating it as you went along. If not, how relevant are qualifications that are already three years out of date? Or am I missing some point?

Sheesh, it sounds like you are encountering the same things I have as I have been working through it. It seems to be quite divergent from what we have been used to Jacqui. Good luck with it!

Profile photo of Lynel Farrell
    Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Lenny, just one quick question.  If you have developed 21 qualifications and piloted 1 only to completion, please advise if these qualifications have been signed off by the QCTO, or are they still just sitting and waiting for approval (since your 2009) apps.  Would love to know!

Yes, Hannes, we are in the process. BEEG problem to get all the stakeholders together for lengthy meetings. Out of 35 invited to the pre-scoping meeting, 8 pitched. Some did not even bother to reply. 

There are  new templates – very time consuming and tricky until you have got the hang of it. And on has to work with a QCTO Qualifications Development Facilitator (QDF) at great cost (they charge consultant’s fees which is their right) but you are looking at about R4000 per day on average. 

Yes, Ashwell. I agree. That’s why I said – reinventing the wheel!

I would also like to know what qualifications they are. 

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

In the interests of transparency – is there a published list of the QCTO Qualifications Development Facilitators?  Are they accredited?  Does one receive a listing to choose from – or are they appointed by the QCTO?

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

the sectors that i am working with have not changed in the 3 years.

i have also updated the information from the pilots run.

i will send you a curricullum to see how it will look.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

they apply to QCTO and get evaluated and registered.

they have to have developed at least one qualification under mentorship from an already regsitered QDF

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

they have to have developed at least one qualification under mentorship from an already regsitered QDF

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

they are pending registration as the QCTO has been getting its ducks in a row.

they kept changing the templates and criteria.

meeting with them on Thursday to finalise it.

been an exciting ride

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

been an exciting ride

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

been an exciting ride

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

been an exciting ride

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

been an exciting ride

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

been an exciting ride

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

they are for machine operators in the clothing, textiles, footwear and leather manufacturing sectors

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

they are for machine operators in the clothing, textiles, footwear and leather manufacturing sectors

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

According to my knowledge (hope not lack of), there is not one qualification that has been registered as yet, so all the applications have been handed in (some years ago) and pilots have been run, but yet not one qualification have been signed off!  If I am incorrect, please share!

So you have a AQP and a DQP – who is conducting the verification of both?  I guess the available list of qualified verifiers/evaluators that is clearly missing somewhere in the universe might pop-up in the near decade or so!  I might be somewhat arrogant on this topic, but the past have already shown us that quality assurance is not upheld.  If providers had access to these people, accreditation, quality assurance, learner records, achievents, learner support, ect would have been something that everyone wanted – but the more I see the complaints on these topics, the more I wonder if the “power positions” will actually open their eyes to reality – plan properly, implement correctly, evaluate in detail, listen to the people, improve and keep on evaluating to set quality standards for all.  I rest my case.

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Lenny, so I am correct when I say, not one of them have been signed off?  Then I assume that you will only be meeting about the qualificaiton that you have piloted? or have the other 20 qualification applications been developed and piloted for approval? 

I hope that you will get some kind of future end process, as I do not believe that your qualifications will be registered or signed off in the next year or so.  (I would love to be wrong).  I wish you luck.

From the various forums and recent discussions that I have had with various QCTO participants it is quite clear that we are heading to another qualification supply precipice, which may work for us or against us. We have yet to see a registered QCTo format qualification yet, although I stand to be corrected here. There lalso may not be a full range of sector reflective qualifications to service the occupational learning and learnership needs, which needs further reflection. One of the key challenges as well as opportunities from the QCTO qualification development process is that it is going to see the development of more focused qualifications and less duplication, which many of us have noticed across the SETA’s from the first generation unit standards and qualifications from the bad old days of Standards-Generating Bodies (SGB). Many qualifications will simply die not and not be replaced at all, because of lack of interest, historical lack of implementation and labour market changes. On the down side is that less organised sectors are most likely going to have very few qualifications in future, so learnerships that become registered occupational full awards or qualifications will certainly be reduced in number. 

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Lenny – thanks for your responses – so is the list of evaluated and registered QDFs published?

sylvia hammond
    Keymaster

Hi Lenny – thanks for that – very useful information.  I’d love to see what the curriculum looks like.

This is an entirely different conversation – for another time maybe but I believe that your sector has been declining and suffering from international competition.  A relevant question to your sector then must surely be – if nothing has changed in 3 years then surely it’s falling even further behind?  

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

definately another discussion topic.

email me on lennyp@fpmseta.org.za for the curriculum.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

not sure if published, but we were given a list at one of the workshops.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

i hope you are wrong as well. holding thumbs

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Ashwell, I agree with what you said.  These “new” qualifications that will be implemented (when, we don’t know) will have a very large impact in South Africa.  Various industries are reluctant to participate in the development of the qualifications (which is so important), the experts that is completely hands-on in their fields should be part, but clearly they feel that it is a waste of time, spending many days away from the office, hearing absolutely nothing after they have spent their precious time for these qualifications.  Then you get feedback on templates that have changed, and your application is still sitting on a desk, with Mr or Ms Anonymous who you have never heard of before (hopefully they are qualified to follow the steps/processes/procedures that should be in place – or maybe this is also being developed still??) – but waiting for 3 years on one qualification with the technology that improves all the time – I think we are going to have more than just a qualification precipice! 

I guess that is why we see some of the unit standards have changed their LAST DATE OF ACHIEVEMENT to 2019.  I find this very interesting, clearly this is an indication of the lenghty wait that is upon us, and the QCTO will just “poer-poer” on for another couple of years.

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Lenny, I envy your patience.

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

SECTION A: QUALIFICATION DEVELOPMENT

FUNCTIONS OF A DEVELOPMENT QUALITY PARTNER

A Development Quality Partner must, in respect of the occupation/s specified in the Service Level Agreement:

(a) appoint a Qualifications Development Facilitator (QDF) to facilitate the development of occupational qualification/s;

(b) coordinate the design, development and/or revision of specified occupational standards and qualifications and/or part qualifications according to the QCTO procedure;

(c) deliver to the QCTO the following documents:

(i) occupational qualification document

(ii) curriculum document, including recommended criteria for the accreditation of skills development providers 

(iii) external assessment specifications document

(iv) qualification development process report

(d) report to the QCTO on the performance of its functions in the SLA; and

(e) collaborate with QCTO on the evaluation of this process.

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to add – if the DQP must select or appoint the QDF – surely this must come from the QCTO – but also noting, this is very expensive!!  These individuals are contracted by the QCTO to do this work.  I have never seen a list of QDFs in the qualifications we/industry put together, which we applied for at the QCTO, which have been sitting there for years!

Grrr – the active voice must be used rather than the passive voice as in the “SAQA” format.

This is what we used to do and were consistently rejected by the SETA. So now it seems we were right all along but wasted thousands of hours or work.

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Andrew, I feel for you.  I have seen the expression of absolute frustration at so many meetings, I guess those expressions still remain.  Sometimes I wish I had the power to change it all and make it work for all.

Profile photo of Tass Schwab
    Tass Schwab

Hello, if you need well heeled experienced authors to re write, drop me a line!

It is not published but I have a list that was sent to me which I have attached.

The process is that you first have to  apply to the QCTO stating your intention to apply to be the DQP/AQP (example attached – please amend if you are going to use it) for an occupation listed on the OFO (Also attached).

Your application will be checked to see that there is no conflict of interest with someone else maybe wanting to be the DQP/AQP for the occupation. Not sure what the answer is if there is.  Then and only then can the process start. 

Hi Lynel

Please see my earlier post on this where I posted the information regarding the QDF list. 

Actually in some ways this is a better system since the organisation that develops and assesses is responsible for its own QA in terms of a code of conduct. Thus the AQP sets up its own structures and uses assessors and moderators, etc – note the unit standard requirements will fall away for these functions (hallelujah!). The QCTO has not yet (as far as I can tell) developed a verification policy – this will only kick in in about three years time when the first students start qualifying on the new qualifications. It takes about a year to develop a curriculum and another year at least to get it registered on the NQF. So the time to start is now because all existing qualifications will expire in July 2015!

Hi Ashwell. I have a copy of the Tax Practitioners qualification that has been submitted to the QCTO. Would you like a copy? email me on jaybee@telkomsa.net

I also have the latest qualification templates released in October 2012. see attached 

Lynel Farrell
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,
    Thank you so much for your feedback. QCTO have not developed a policy on verification, that is why I have taken this up with SAQA the past 6 months now. But now it seems that the QCTO will have to develop it as they are responsible for the quality assurance. My gripe still exists because, there are 3 quality councils, surely there should be one standard policy on verification, if not, then everybody do as they please and see fit. I have been questioning this for some time now, and some of my facts have even been sent via another institution to London (can’t give all my info here now, as I am still busy with them). But somehow, someone soon will take my input seriously, and realize that I am right. I have been trying various ways in getting my voice heard, unfortunately it takes months and months of following up, in order to get somewhere. Gaps exist, and many experts have completely ignored the fact that verification is of utmost importance.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Lynel, please send me a details on your issue around verfication and suggestions, i sit on committees that are developing QCTO Policies and Procedures. i can take up the matter for you, or can advise further. my email address is lennyp@fpmseta.org.za . i also have the ear of the QCTO and am working very closely with them to get them running effectively and efficiently, am glad to help where possible.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Hi Lynel, please send me a details on your issue around verfication and suggestions, i sit on committees that are developing QCTO Policies and Procedures. i can take up the matter for you, or can advise further. my email address is lennyp@fpmseta.org.za . i also have the ear of the QCTO and am working very closely with them to get them running effectively and efficiently, am glad to help where possible.

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

Skills Universe
    Keymaster

It sounds to me if  I understand correctly, that one should describe the career path in administration for instance:

Pathway

Junior Clerk –

• Job purpose e.g to assist the organisation or branch or chief clark with ABC –
    • Tasks would be receive post, sign them off, open envelope, unfold content, categorise letters, sort letters, Hande queries –
    • Responsebilities would be, receive post quatity in good order, ensure no lost of documentation, sign of to delivery clark.

To

Senior Clerk

• Job purpose e.g to assist the organisation or branch or chief clark with ABC –
    • Tasks would be receive post, sign them off, open envelope, unfold content, categorise letters, sort letters, Hande queries –
    • Responsebilities would be, receive post quatity in good order, ensure no lost of documentation, sign of to delivery clark. Assist Junior clerks with difficult tasks. Work in a team with junior people.

To

Chief Clerk-

• Job purpose e.g to assist the organisation or branch or administrative officer/supervisor with ABC –
    • Tasks would be to supervise:  the receive ofpost, signing post off, open envelope, unfold content, categorise letters, sort letters, Handle queries and complaints. Oversee senior and junior clarks. Approve leave or sick applications –
    • Responsebilities would be: Oversee senior and junior clarks. Approve leave or sick applications. Address any issues the tasks, and functions of the Juinior and Senior. Report any deviation of production or quality to the manager. Write performance reports of supervising personel.

To adminstrative officer

Note: replace to with downward Arrow.

Is this what they want?

Profile photo of Des Squire
    Des Squire
    Participant

Like everything else the system is a total mess. It is cumbersome and will fail hopelessly.

What amazes me is theat there is ongoing and continuous crticism – even by those involved with QCTO in the development process but nothing changes or gets simplified. They have madea decision and believe they are right. 

Can anyone list for us the achievements of the QCTO since inception? What is up and running? What are the success milestones? 

The Minister has rather put a spoke in the wheel by investigating the scope of the QCTO as he feels it should only deal with qualifications up to NQF6. Since our qualifications (ie. the CSSA professional body quals) are already registered at level 8, the whole process has come to a grinding halt. 

One of the biggest problems with the QCTO is the requirement for workplace experience BEFORE anyone can receive a qualification. It won’t work.

Profile photo of Hannes Nel
    Hannes Nel

The entire QCTO has come to a grinding halt if you ask me. Nothing is happening at the moment, so we are all waiting. JPN

I just wonder, how would this system promote learning ? My prediction – learners will get the Knowledge components and find work, whilst the foundational learning, now extracted from skills, will not be pursued. Fundamentals ought to be embedded in vocational training, not separate. The separation risk is that it would be more theoretical. 

Des Squire
    Participant

Hi Jacqui

I would love to know what the definitions of the 4 areas you outline are? Seems fairly simple but who knows what has now been hashed up.

My understanding also is that fundamentals as we have known them will now be restricted to the bare essentials that suit the specific learning programme. Is that correct?

Your comment regarding the “re- look” by the Minister at the function and responsibility (scope) of the QCTO does not surprise me at all. I suppose another body will be set up to deal with higher level qualifications?  

Hi Des, i think the best way of doing this is to provide you with examples of documents I have been preparing for the qualification: Company Secretary. please see attached

The Minister has decided that the QCTO can deal with all levels of the NQF, btw. 

the assessment of fundamentals has been awarded to the IEB for all qualifications. not sure exactly what that means right now. 

Des Squire
    Participant

Thank you Jacqui, I will study these later today.

It’s a money making racket! and I agree with you, Wynand. 

My biggest issue with QCTO is that they expect people to gain workplace experience BEFORE they can qualify with an occupational award. With a youth unemployment rate of 35%, they seem to smoking something. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.