Life in the freelance lane

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David H. Swartz David H. Swartz 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

I had a fabulous experience with a supposed recruiter come new business owner.  After seeing the add I posted my CV.  I received a discourteous email asking me to explain how I offer materials I have written to accredited companies so that they could determine “whether to keep my CV“.

Assuming good faith I did that with good intention and closed the mail with my telephone number should they require further clarity.  Well! I received a reply stating that no telephonic communication was desired as they had headaches with SETA.

That was where I drew the line and replied assertively to withdraw from the process.  What really annoyed me was that after the impolite comment they continued with a list of questions about accreditation and how it works and … and … and.  My cheeky mouth was triggered and sarcasm and counsellor expertise weaved together to craft  a response to this recruiter which I am not proud of but I did drive the point home.  Needless to say s/he was irate and began a round of attacks on “consultants who take advantage of people in business”.  it was at that point I realised it was time to “delete mail”. 

I get this a lot from these stater company pretend recruiters.  They glean what they can from your CV, claim to be interested and then want to squeeze a consultation out of you.  I would have fallen for the joke again had this one not been so sadly lacking in basic business etiquette.

Share on Social Media

Good on you. Yes we need the work but some people expect us to prostitute ourself out to them. Big up to you..

Share on Social Media

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share on Social Media

One thought on “Life in the freelance lane

• Profile photo of Des Squire
    Des Squire

Hi Gail – some information that might assist

The company should consider introducing a Smoke Free Environment Policy in which it outlines the approach to smoking in the workplace. The issue is covered to some extent by the “Tobacco Products Control Act’ which provides for the protection of non-smokers – nothing is said about the smoker (tough – I stopped 10 months ago).

In addition, smoking in the workplace is not regulated or controlled in any way by Labour Law so any decisions made would have to be done in terms of the above act.

In terms of this Act, the employer is obliged to take steps to protect his non-smoking staff from the cigarette smoke of the smokers but how the employer goes about this is left up to the employer.

There is no obligation on the employer to provide smoke breaks. If the employer were to decide to give smoke breaks he/she would also be entitled to request the employee to put in the extra time. So if the employer were to grant say 6 ten minute smoke breaks in a day then he/she could (at his discretion) request the employee to work an additional hour. Similarly the employer could deduct the time from salary at month end.

The alternative is to place a total ban on smoking which the employer is also entitled to do or to designate a specific area for smoke breaks. 

If the employer decides to provide a designated are then he/she must comply with the Tobacco Products Control Act bearing in mind the workplace is classified in terms of the act as a “public place”.

In terms of your question then the employer has an obligation in terms of section 6 of the act to ensure “no person smokes anywhere other than in the designated smoking area in that public place”

Employers are obliged to have a written policy on smoking in the workplace, and the policy must be applied within three months from the date of coming into operation of the Tobacco Products Control Amendment Act, 1999 (Act No. 12 of 1999)

In terms of section 9 of the act any employer or person in control of any public place or part of a public place may totally prohibit smoking in that place

Comments are closed.