Skills-Universe

I have recently embarked on the laborious process of redesigning a curriculum according to the specifications of the QCTO. Mind-numbing to say the least. 

Basically it's a rehashing of what we already have except that the active voice must be used rather than the passive voice as in the "SAQA" format. and it is excessively repetitive in that for every little segment one has to say what the tuition provider specs are rather than saying it once for the whole qualification. It's not rocket science although it would seem so the the uninitiated. New terminology that one has to get to grips with are things like

• Occupational pathway
  • Occupational purpose
  • Occupational tasks
  • Occupational responsibilities

Oh well!

Jacqui

Views: 1618

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lenny, so I am correct when I say, not one of them have been signed off?  Then I assume that you will only be meeting about the qualificaiton that you have piloted? or have the other 20 qualification applications been developed and piloted for approval? 

I hope that you will get some kind of future end process, as I do not believe that your qualifications will be registered or signed off in the next year or so.  (I would love to be wrong).  I wish you luck.

i hope you are wrong as well. holding thumbs

Lenny, I envy your patience.

From the various forums and recent discussions that I have had with various QCTO participants it is quite clear that we are heading to another qualification supply precipice, which may work for us or against us. We have yet to see a registered QCTo format qualification yet, although I stand to be corrected here. There lalso may not be a full range of sector reflective qualifications to service the occupational learning and learnership needs, which needs further reflection. One of the key challenges as well as opportunities from the QCTO qualification development process is that it is going to see the development of more focused qualifications and less duplication, which many of us have noticed across the SETA's from the first generation unit standards and qualifications from the bad old days of Standards-Generating Bodies (SGB). Many qualifications will simply die not and not be replaced at all, because of lack of interest, historical lack of implementation and labour market changes. On the down side is that less organised sectors are most likely going to have very few qualifications in future, so learnerships that become registered occupational full awards or qualifications will certainly be reduced in number. 

Hi Ashwell, I agree with what you said.  These "new" qualifications that will be implemented (when, we don't know) will have a very large impact in South Africa.  Various industries are reluctant to participate in the development of the qualifications (which is so important), the experts that is completely hands-on in their fields should be part, but clearly they feel that it is a waste of time, spending many days away from the office, hearing absolutely nothing after they have spent their precious time for these qualifications.  Then you get feedback on templates that have changed, and your application is still sitting on a desk, with Mr or Ms Anonymous who you have never heard of before (hopefully they are qualified to follow the steps/processes/procedures that should be in place - or maybe this is also being developed still??) - but waiting for 3 years on one qualification with the technology that improves all the time - I think we are going to have more than just a qualification precipice! 

I guess that is why we see some of the unit standards have changed their LAST DATE OF ACHIEVEMENT to 2019.  I find this very interesting, clearly this is an indication of the lenghty wait that is upon us, and the QCTO will just "poer-poer" on for another couple of years.

Hi Ashwell. I have a copy of the Tax Practitioners qualification that has been submitted to the QCTO. Would you like a copy? email me on jaybee@telkomsa.net

I also have the latest qualification templates released in October 2012. see attached 

Attachments:

SECTION A: QUALIFICATION DEVELOPMENT

FUNCTIONS OF A DEVELOPMENT QUALITY PARTNER

A Development Quality Partner must, in respect of the occupation/s specified in the Service Level Agreement:

(a) appoint a Qualifications Development Facilitator (QDF) to facilitate the development of occupational qualification/s;

(b) coordinate the design, development and/or revision of specified occupational standards and qualifications and/or part qualifications according to the QCTO procedure;

(c) deliver to the QCTO the following documents:

(i) occupational qualification document

(ii) curriculum document, including recommended criteria for the accreditation of skills development providers 

(iii) external assessment specifications document

(iv) qualification development process report

(d) report to the QCTO on the performance of its functions in the SLA; and

(e) collaborate with QCTO on the evaluation of this process.

Oh, I forgot to add - if the DQP must select or appoint the QDF - surely this must come from the QCTO - but also noting, this is very expensive!!  These individuals are contracted by the QCTO to do this work.  I have never seen a list of QDFs in the qualifications we/industry put together, which we applied for at the QCTO, which have been sitting there for years!

Grrr - the active voice must be used rather than the passive voice as in the "SAQA" format.

This is what we used to do and were consistently rejected by the SETA. So now it seems we were right all along but wasted thousands of hours or work.

Andrew, I feel for you.  I have seen the expression of absolute frustration at so many meetings, I guess those expressions still remain.  Sometimes I wish I had the power to change it all and make it work for all.

It sounds to me if  I understand correctly, that one should describe the career path in administration for instance:

Pathway

Junior Clerk -

• Job purpose e.g to assist the organisation or branch or chief clark with ABC -
  • Tasks would be receive post, sign them off, open envelope, unfold content, categorise letters, sort letters, Hande queries -
  • Responsebilities would be, receive post quatity in good order, ensure no lost of documentation, sign of to delivery clark.

To

Senior Clerk

• Job purpose e.g to assist the organisation or branch or chief clark with ABC -
  • Tasks would be receive post, sign them off, open envelope, unfold content, categorise letters, sort letters, Hande queries -
  • Responsebilities would be, receive post quatity in good order, ensure no lost of documentation, sign of to delivery clark. Assist Junior clerks with difficult tasks. Work in a team with junior people.

To

Chief Clerk-

• Job purpose e.g to assist the organisation or branch or administrative officer/supervisor with ABC -
  • Tasks would be to supervise:  the receive ofpost, signing post off, open envelope, unfold content, categorise letters, sort letters, Handle queries and complaints. Oversee senior and junior clarks. Approve leave or sick applications -
  • Responsebilities would be: Oversee senior and junior clarks. Approve leave or sick applications. Address any issues the tasks, and functions of the Juinior and Senior. Report any deviation of production or quality to the manager. Write performance reports of supervising personel.

To adminstrative officer

Note: replace to with downward Arrow.

Is this what they want?

Like everything else the system is a total mess. It is cumbersome and will fail hopelessly.

What amazes me is theat there is ongoing and continuous crticism - even by those involved with QCTO in the development process but nothing changes or gets simplified. They have madea decision and believe they are right. 

Can anyone list for us the achievements of the QCTO since inception? What is up and running? What are the success milestones? 

RSS

© 2014   Created by Alan Hammond.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service