Skills-Universe

All skills-universe members who knew the later Professor Merlyn Mehl are invited to add their tributes to this discussion.  I will ensure that they are passed on to the family.  If you wish to attend the memorial celebration, please ensure that you RSVP to assist the family with arrangements.

SA EDUCATIONAL ICON LEAVES LASTING LEGACY

A memorial celebration will be held from 2pm on Saturday (9 Feb 2013) at Cape Peninsula University of Technology in honour of Professor Merlyn Claude Mehl. The venue will be the Auditorium of the Bellville campus, Symphony Way, Bellville, Cape Town.

Prof Mehl, a former Chancellor of the then Peninsula Technikon, died at the age of 70 at his home near Kirstenbosch.

Prof Mehl schooled at South Peninsula High and studied at UWC, completing his PhD (Physics) at UCT. Following a glittering academic career, and a sabbatical to concentrate on his own spiritual growth, Merlyn worked at and later was Chief Executive of the Independent Development Trust. He chaired the Tertiary Education Fund SA, to financially assist deserving tertiary students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Following this, as Executive Chairman, he started Triple L Academy to promote his ethos of Life Long Learning, and which today is a provider of skills development in all provinces of South Africa.  He had long played an instrumental role in SA educational circles promoting skills development and the National Qualifications Framework. He was also critically supportive of SAQA (where he chaired a National Standards Board), the QCTO and many SETAs, particularly W&R SETA where he was board chairman for a number of years. Due to his stature in the community, his business acumen and his innovative insights into people development, Prof Mehl played a leading role on various boards. He was Executive of Financial Management of Boland PKS and non-executive director of NvA (a division of Naspers), Capitec, CIMAP and Curro Private Schools.

Prof Mehl was widely acknowledged as a leading academic with an amazing ability to engage wide ranging audiences, and has links to Harvard, MIT and other iconic institutions. A raconteur of note at local and international levels, Merlyn was entertaining, challenging and informative, but equally a good listener. His writings and initiatives have benefitted countless individuals and their families, corporations and communities, either directly or through his influence in government circles. He has improved the lives of a multitude, a number of which he never got to meet individually.

In his final years Prof Mehl was passionate about improving the lives of all and championed the notion that each human has unlimited capacity and potential. He developed programmes to improve cognition through critical and creative thinking and at the time of his passing was involved in projects to dramatically improve school results.

His memory will be honoured and will endure through the very many beneficiaries of his creative and innovative thinking, teaching and mentoring, and his generosity, kindness and support. He is survived by wife Natalie and her family, son Graeme and his family, and sister Carol and her family.

Prof Mehl will be remembered by the very special, positive way in which he touched many thousands of lives.

Light refreshments will be served following the ceremony.

Due to limited seating and for catering arrangements kindly RSVP to contact@3la.co.za or Lana 021-685-0920, Steven 082-655-1932, Linda 083-305-3005, Deonita 084-455-0099.

Tags: CPUT, Cape, Harvard, MIT, Peninsula, Technikon, Technology, University, academic, director, More…honoured, international, local, mehl, memorial, merlyn, professor

Views: 525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So sad to hear of Prof Mehl's untimely death.  Used to love listening to his gruff voice and sharp wit. He was a courageous man who spoke his mind - always for the betterment of people.  He has left a legacy of note.  Love to his family.

How terribly sad this is to lose such a dynamic man - I so enjoyed listening to him and found his words to be so inspiring. I wished I had been able to interact more with such a knowledgable man, as I admired him a great deal. A definite loss for skills development in South Africa.  May he rest in peace and may his family find strength in dealing with their loss.

Yes very sad indeed. I too loved listening to him. He lectured us at Varsity and I remember his straight-forward no-nonsense approach.   He was so knowledgeable on the skills development front - and passionate for the cause. A great loss to the development of people in South Africa. I also wish I had been able to tap into his knowledge more often. My thoughts go to his family at this sad time. 

I had the privilege of both working and knowing Merlyn, shared some long conversations and many laughs with him. Loved him for his charming manner, sense of humour and his brilliant mind. He will be sorely missed by all who knew and loved him. To his wife Natalie and all his family my heartfelt condolences. A great loss for skills development in this country, for he was both passionate and inspiring to all who worked in skills development.

When I started working at then ISETT SETA, Prof Mehl was one of the people I enjoyed listening to. He was so knowledgeable w.r.t SAQA ,quality assusrance and education in general. I learnt a lot from him. He definitley left a legacy and he will be missed. Condolences to the family.

Prof Mehl was an icon, a man who could walk head and shoulders above the crowds but never lost his human touch. I am richer and I hope wiser, because he graced the pages of the story of my life. I have been blessed and I am deeply grateful. Rest gently Prof, we shall catch you just over the hill. Deep condolences on his passing to his friends, family and all who mourn his loss.

My heartfelt condolences to the prof Mehl's family. I had the opportunity to hear him speak at conferences. The last conference I heard him speak at was the Artisan development conference in Johannesburg. The key message I took from it was that as human beings we always put a mental block on our abilities, why do we do that? Why do we always say we can't do It Have we applied ourselves, our brain is powerful? I have decided to apply myself after his address in my studies last year with my Finance assignment. I always thought I was never good at it, however I got my 70% at yes it may not be a distinction, however I proved to myself that if I apply myself I'm able to exceed my own expectations. I did a simple application of his insight and knowledge he shared that day, however it work. So the key lesson, don't say I can't, the question should be " have I applied myself" RIP Prof MEHL

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Alan Hammond.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service